Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Homemade Corn Chowder:

Corn (3rd day sprouting), pulverized.
Large potato, cubed
Spices: Onion, garlic, rosemary,black pepper, salt and 1 bay leaf
Brought to boil then left to simmer.
Small handful of crushed flax seeds added after cooking (adds extra nutritional benefits including good Omega 3 fats)

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
A homemade veggie burger plus Cos lettuce, mushrooms, tomato slices, ketchup, sriracha sauce on wholemeal spelt

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Just had a slice of cake and a glass of water with an electrolyte tablet, during a quick break from shifting stuff around.

Stravinsk

Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Just finished off some homemade nuggets I whipped together using various ingredients (mainly corn, oats, wheat, chia and spices) then cooked under low/medium heat on a bed of oil.

They were quite tasty and worth making but could be improved. The idea to do it came mostly from a store bought vegan nugget product that is sold for about $6. The store product is yummy and does rival chicken nuggets for taste and texture but I basically have to eat the whole box if I want a meal. When I finish improving mine the equivalent amount in materials plus heating will cost me between 50-70 cents or less.

Stravinsk

Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Homemade Veggie patty (oats, flax and spices) on toasted whole wheat along with some tomato, red cabbage and a dollop of sweet/sour Tahini mustard I made from Tahini, mustard powder, vinegar and dark muscovado sugar.

That and corn and green peas.

Stravinsk

Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
I had some "wholemeal" toast with Vegemite earlier, topped with tomato slices and broccoli.

Now I'm having a sweet walnut drink: Water, walnuts, raisins, well blended then heated, added cinnamon and a dash of vanilla extract.

Stravinsk

Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
Jalepeno bagel and coffee

Stravinsk

Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Veggie burger and fries:

Patty - oats, flaxseed, water, spices blended and cooked
Plus pickle slices, tomato and Cos lettuce on bread

Rosemary onion/garlic fries (actually slow cooked in a small amount of oil) spiced also with cayenne pepper and smoked paprika.

Stravinsk

Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Salad: Raw spinach leaves, tomato, cooked potatoes, tofu and sauce.

Sauce is: Fresh onion, fresh garlic, water, lemon slice with peel, rosemary spice, black pepper, white wine vinegar, olive and sesame seed oils, salt - well blended.

Stravinsk

Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Toast with chocolate sauce

Sauce is: Water, dates, cocoa powder, peanut butter, tahini, flax seeds and a tiny bit of lemon/peel (for preserving), well blended. Preservation turned out unnecessary, as I added a little too much water and after eating my chocolate toast I diluted the rest and drank the lot.

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
Toast with chocolate sauce

Sauce is: Water, dates, cocoa powder, peanut butter, tahini, flax seeds and a tiny bit of lemon/peel (for preserving), well blended. Preservation turned out unnecessary, as I added a little too much water and after eating my chocolate toast I diluted the rest and drank the lot.

What ration do you use for the ingredients, or is it by taste? That sounds good

Stravinsk

Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
What ration do you use for the ingredients, or is it by taste? That sounds good

Except with certain ingredients/combos, I often don't do proper measurements when experimenting.

I used slightly more peanut butter than tahini as tahini has a slight bitterness to it, but about a desert spoonful each. Flax seeds, about an amount to fit into the small of one's hand. Cocoa powder I think it was about one desert spoon full but I don't remember. Dates, about a handful and a half. Lemon/peel - a very tiny amount, like maybe a thumbnail's equivalent. Overall water for final blend I didn't measure at all, but I added too much, which made it a little runny, and although I could have added more flax or more nut butters to thicken, it was still good enough for toast :;;D:

Oh, if you make I suggest cutting up the dates (pit them first if they aren't already) and blending with water until smooth apart from the main mix, otherwise you're likely to get chunks of date in it. Same with the small bit of lemon.

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
Except with certain ingredients/combos, I often don't do proper measurements when experimenting.

I used slightly more peanut butter than tahini as tahini has a slight bitterness to it, but about a desert spoonful each. Flax seeds, about an amount to fit into the small of one's hand. Cocoa powder I think it was about one desert spoon full but I don't remember. Dates, about a handful and a half. Lemon/peel - a very tiny amount, like maybe a thumbnail's equivalent. Overall water for final blend I didn't measure at all, but I added too much, which made it a little runny, and although I could have added more flax or more nut butters to thicken, it was still good enough for toast :;;D:

Oh, if you make I suggest cutting up the dates (pit them first if they aren't already) and blending with water until smooth apart from the main mix, otherwise you're likely to get chunks of date in it. Same with the small bit of lemon.

Sounds like something to try this weekend. Could I sub milk for the water?

Stravinsk

Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Sounds like something to try this weekend. Could I sub milk for the water?

That's up to you. It will not improve the taste and dairy has negative health effects in my view. If extra fat is sought, sesame seeds provide Omega 6 fats (and lots of calcium too), and/or you could add more flax as this is an especially oily (when exposed to water) seed full of Omega 3.

That being said, the use of Tahini (sesame seed butter) or Peanut butter already provides a good deal of the texture and beneficial fats.

Stravinsk

Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
I hate (? lol) had 4 medium sized potatoes for breakfast (as hash browns, spiced) + a little ketchup.

Now I'm having a drink I made from soaked pepitas, lemon slice w/peel and some dates.

Last edited:

Stravinsk

Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
I had some running around to do today and after I went out I got hungry. Found some wholemeal bread for couple of dollars and munched on that while out. When I got home I was still sort of hungry so I made some sandwiches with a spread made from Tahini, water, olives and spices, and pickles and some spinach also. Besides some coffee/oatmilk/date sweetener and with the above post, that's all I had today. I'm still full but I'll finish off the night with a few beers then it's time for bed.

Stravinsk

Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Right now I'm having a drink made from sesame seeds (not roasted ones) and pitted dates

Method:

Take 8 pitted dates and chop into fingernail size pieces, and 2 small handfuls of sesame seeds and place in steel pot (iron is no good, sugars will leach the metal in it and into your drink).
Cover with just enough water to cover, bring to a boil, allow to simmer a few minutes then let it cool.
Blend well using a high powered blender.

The purpose of boiling/simmering is to soften the dates and seeds a bit. They will blend much better than if it's not done.

The amount of water I used for a medium sized saucepan yielded about 2 coffee cups worth.

Edit: Some seeds will be left requiring a little chewing. To avoid this, make or use Tahini (sesame seed butter).

Last edited:

Stravinsk

Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Just finished a tasty savory meal of Thai style noodles, soaked and cooked lentils, caramelized onions cooked in water/soysauce, mushrooms, spring onion growing in my kitchen, purple cabbage, olive oil, a few dabs of roasted sesame seed oil and salt.

I was doing some reading on Ethiopia today. I remember hearing since the time I was a boy to finish my plate because kids in Ethiopia were starving. Mostly drought and the way land ownership works there.

Still starving in the rural communities. One wonders why they stay or how they can even be healthy enough to procreate to live in those areas? Move to a city or out of the country if possible. Or at least to an area that gets enough rain, right?

Turns out, Ethiopia actually has lots of crops growing on it's lands, and 50 million cattle alone (compare to USA - just over 90 million) on far less land for far less people.

How is it that anyone is starving?

This looks like part of the answer:

From https://www.forksoverknives.com/ani...global-population-part-one-of-two/#gs.Bo7dpaY

More than 40 percent of Ethiopians are considered hungry or starving, and fresh water there is scarce. Yet they have 50 million cattle (one of the largest herds in the world), as well as 50 million sheep and goats and 35 million chickens, needlessly consuming their food, land, and water. Ethiopia is cutting down 25,000 acres of its forests each year in order to make more room for their growing herd of livestock, while contributing heavily to greenhouse gas emissions along the way. The country of Eritrea has a human population of 5 million people, the majority of whom suffer from hunger and poverty. Yet they are using their sparse resources to support 6 million cattle, sheep, and goats.

Eighty-two percent of the world’s starving children live in countries where food is fed to animals, which are then killed and eaten by wealthier individuals in developed countries like the US, UK, and in Europe. One fourth of all grain produced by third-world countries is now given to livestock, in their own countries and elsewhere. Therefore, on a local basis, animal-based agriculture simply perpetuates hunger, poverty, and other components of the cycle such as illiteracy (as high as 66 percent in some countries) and poor human health.

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Peanut butter and banana sandwich. :drool:

Top Bottom