Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
nothing will change, we believe as we do and you and the others believe as they do, so why bother?

Well, I agree.... if we assuming nothing will change as a result of our posting, then there's probably little reason to post...... Anything.

No, Bill, I'm really at a complete loss to know what some here at CH believe..... I have no clue. There MUST be some reason why some are SO passionate against what some of us (Lamm, Turtlehead, Tigger, etc.) are saying, SO against that - to keep threads going for 20, 30 pages.... to start new threads..... some reason why the "Jesus is the Savior" position is SO disturbing to them. I'm trying to learn why..... Not having any sucess so far. But no, you are as wrong as you can be on that, Bill - I don't have a CLUE why what I've posted is SO bad, SO much to be rejected, why the rebuttals.

Bill, why won't you ever change? What if you discovered some idea you held is incorrect.... is it better to be wrong than to be corrected? Have you ever changed any position on anything in your life? IF so, do you consider that a bad thing? I'm not following you, friend.

But yes..... if people don't care what anyone believes, posts...... if no one is going to ever change a position on anything..... then yeah, kind of does make you wonder why anyone is here.... why people here can go on for 20 - 30 pages in response to something if no one is very open to changing anything as a result.

Bill..... seems to ME..... if you don't care and won't consider changing a position .... then probably the best course would be to not engage in discussions about positions or concerning things that might change something. Make sense?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Well, I agree.... if we assuming nothing will change as a result of our posting, then there's probably little reason to post...... Anything.

No, Bill, I'm really at a complete loss to know what some here at CH believe..... I have no clue. There MUST be some reason why some are SO passionate against what some of us (Lamm, Turtlehead, Tigger, etc.) are saying, SO against that - to keep threads going for 20, 30 pages.... to start new threads..... some reason why the "Jesus is the Savior" position is SO disturbing to them. I'm trying to learn why..... Not having any sucess so far. But no, you are as wrong as you can be on that, Bill - I don't have a CLUE why what I've posted is SO bad, SO much to be rejected, why the rebuttals.

Bill, why won't you ever change? What if you discovered some idea you held is incorrect.... is it better to be wrong than to be corrected? Have you ever changed any position on anything in your life? IF so, do you consider that a bad thing? I'm not following you, friend.

But yes..... if people don't care what anyone believes, posts...... if no one is going to ever change a position on anything..... then yeah, kind of does make you wonder why anyone is here.... why people here can go on for 20 - 30 pages in response to something if no one is very open to changing anything as a result.

Bill..... seems to ME..... if you don't care and won't consider changing a position .... then probably the best course would be to not engage in discussions about positions or concerning things that might change something. Make sense?
You are right, and yes I have changed when I was wrong. In this I am not and am sure of that. All through the New testament there are actions to be taken, actions that are laid out. Our religion is not passive nor is our salvation. Yes, it is the Holy Spirit that convicts us and brings us to the knowledge that we need a saviour but then it is up to us to accept or reject and if we accept then Romans 10:9-10 lays out how we are to do it. So no, I dont think I am wrong nor the millions who believe as I do. I do stay out of a lot of debate but that doesnt mean I dont read and see what everyone is saying. I was prolific on here for a long time, not so much anymore, wonder why? Guess it doesnt have anything to do with the pointless 20 and 30 page discussions with noone changing or the slant this board takes so many times that people want to deny even though it has driven many off this board. That is not opi nion but fact, I am sure I am not the only one who has heard this from people but perhaps I am the only one willing to voice it since it brings out the denials and coming against. Enough of what I am saying as I seriously doubt that it really matters, I leave you to it.

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
So, friend, I'm left wondering which is it? You were saved by a divine miracle of grace (God alone did it) with Jesus as the Savior or when you, still dead, "heard" the command to say the 'sinner's prayer' and you, still dead, did that and thus saved yourself?

and thus saved yourself, what nonsense is that?
Just as annoying as telling someone they're not saved because they have to say the sinner's prayer and the perfect version, don't leave a word out.
I stop discussing this too. Tried to explain but it's no use. So be it. God bless.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
@ Psalm91 ;

psalms 91 said:
All through the New testament there are actions to be taken, actions that are laid out.

Of course!!! No one has remotely suggested otherwise. The issue is: WHOSE works cause our faith/life/salvation? If they are Jesus' then Jesus is the Savior and we are raised to life by HIS works, HIS miracle, HIS grace. If they are our's when we are our own Savior and we are changed from dead to alive by what WE do, accomplish, by our works. I'm trying to understand which do you think is the case?

Our religion is not passive nor is our salvation.

So, again, is it a case that Jesus does some of it and self does some of it? When what percentage Savior is Jesus and what percentage of Savior is self? I'm trying to understand your position on that. OR are you suggesting Jesus doesn't Save at all, there is no grace, there is no giving of anything. Rather Jesus has some OTHER role that I'm not understanding.... maybe He's the Enabler rather than Savior (empowering us to do it)? Or the Doorkeeper? Or the Possibility-Maker? If He doesn't save us (that would make Him the Savior and us the Saved - and that's not acceptable) then what is His role? I'm trying to understand your position on that.

Yes, it is the Holy Spirit that convicts us and brings us to the knowledge that we need a saviour

So, let me see if I understand this. The Holy Spirit - using pure law and only law - convicts one who is dead and has no relationship to God, no life toward God, can't hear God.... the Holy Spirit goes to one who is DEAD and using pure Law "convinces" the Dead one that they are dead. Okay, not sure how the dead "hear" or "understand" anything at all but let's move on. THEN the dead one "understands" that he NEEDS something from God. But God doesn't give them anything (this is all pure Law). The Dead have to find out from God how to save themselves. And if the dead person does, then God tells them how they can save themselves. Okay. But here's what I don't understand: How does that make Jesus the Savior? According to you, the HOLY SPIRIT somehow speaks to a DEAD person who can't hear and can't do ANYTHING. May you see the Holy Spirit as the Empower (not Jesus), the Holy Spirit EMPOWERS the dead but doesn't give them anything (no life example) - it's all law, no grace and no Gospel. Then this person has to Save himself by doing "x". How does that make Jesus the Savior.... even just a part Savior? I see how the Holy Spirit presents LAW (evidently no Gospel or grace) and you seem to hold that does something to a dead person. How is Jesus the SAVIOR? How is grace (the free gift of something undeserved, unrequested, unearned) how is grace involved or is it not involved at all?

I am not the only one who has heard this from people

No. I've heard the position that God helps those who help themselves..... that God makes salvation possible but we save ourselves..... the Jesus opened the door to heaven but one has to get through it by their own will and good works..... I've heard essentially the same thing from Jews, Muslims and some Hindus for why Christianity is wrong because no Savior is needed - just the opportunity for salvation and sufficient enabling so we can do it and correct leadership to show the way. I get it, I just don't see how that "jibes" with the central, foundational point of Christianity - the point on which Christianity stands or falls: We need a SAVIOR, God has supplied that Savior, His name is Jesus. I'm TRYING to understand how Christians (and obviously you are) hold this this view that Jesus is the Savior but....... not really. The whole idea of one who saves us seems to offend some Christians. I'm really puzzled by that.

I leave you to it.

Okay. I was just TRYING to understand this passionate rejection of Jesus as the full Savior, this seeming objection and even offense to the idea that Jesus saves, and what role people think Jesus has if it's not to save us. I really and sincerely TRIED to understand that position. Obviously it's passionate! People really seem offended by what I thought was a position we all rejoiced in, not got offended by: Jesus saves, Jesus is the Savior.

Perhaps it best if you do depart the discussion..... I don't want to offend or disturb, only understand.

[MENTION=181]Rens[/MENTION]

Rens said:
and thus saved yourself, what nonsense is that? Just as annoying as telling someone they're not saved because they have to say the sinner's prayer and the perfect version, don't leave a word out.

But if one is spiritually alive, if one has faith, if one is saved - didn't something happen, didn't something change? Is it forbidden to hold who did it? Who gave it? If something changed, it is mandated that SELF caused the change? Is there no other option? You appear to have a great passion against the position that Jesus did it, Jesus saves us, Jesus is the Savior (it's His grace, His works, "the free gift of God). That position has caused a few here at CH to become quite upset, angry. Some seem to see the position that Jesus is the Savior and Jesus does the Savior as offensive, disrespectful toward the dead receiver of that; indeed the whole idea of rescuing/saving seems offensive the some. That surprises me, coming from Christians.

No, I'm not telling anyone that the dead must do "x, y, z" - perfectly or sufficiently or otherwise - in order to save themselves. I think I've actually been suggesting something quite different: Jesus saves. By grace (the free gift of God, the undeserved/unmerited grace of God. I'm not sure HOW God does that (I've stated I think the dynamics are mystery) but it's not self saving self (1% or 10% or 90% or 100%), it's a case that Jesus saves. It's MY position that the Savior is Jesus and that Jesus is the Savior (not Enabler or Door Opening or Possibility-Maker) but SAVIOR, rescuer, life-giver. And that has angered and offended some Christians. TRYING to understand that.....

- Josiah

Last edited:

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
Of course!!! No one has remotely suggested otherwise. The issue is: WHOSE works cause our faith/life/salvation? If they are Jesus' then Jesus is the Savior and we are raised to life by HIS works, HIS miracle, HIS grace. If they are our's when we are our own Savior and we are changed from dead to alive by what WE do, accomplish, by our works. I'm trying to understand which do you think is the case?

So, again, is it a case that Jesus does some of it and self does some of it? When what percentage Savior is Jesus and what percentage of Savior is self? I'm trying to understand your position on that. OR are you suggesting Jesus doesn't Save at all, there is no grace, there is no giving of anything. Rather Jesus has some OTHER role that I'm not understanding.... maybe He's the Enabler rather than Savior (empowering us to do it)? Or the Doorkeeper? Or the Possibility-Maker? If He doesn't save us (that would make Him the Savior and us the Saved - and that's not acceptable) then what is His role? I'm trying to understand your position on that.

So, let me see if I understand this. The Holy Spirit - using pure law and only law - convicts one who is dead and has no relationship to God, no life toward God, can't hear God.... the Holy Spirit goes to one who is DEAD and using pure Law "convinces" the Dead one that they are dead. Okay, not sure how the dead "hear" or "understand" anything at all but let's move on. THEN the dead one "understands" that he NEEDS something from God. But God doesn't give them anything (this is all pure Law). The Dead have to find out from God how to save themselves. And if the dead person does, then God tells them how they can save themselves. Okay. But here's what I don't understand: How does that make Jesus the Savior? According to you, the HOLY SPIRIT somehow speaks to a DEAD person who can't hear and can't do ANYTHING. May you see the Holy Spirit as the Empower (not Jesus), the Holy Spirit EMPOWERS the dead but doesn't give them anything (no life example) - it's all law, no grace and no Gospel. Then this person has to Save himself by doing "x". How does that make Jesus the Savior.... even just a part Savior? I see how the Holy Spirit presents LAW (evidently no Gospel or grace) and you seem to hold that does something to a dead person. How is Jesus the SAVIOR? How is grace (the free gift of something undeserved, unrequested, unearned) how is grace involved or is it not involved at all?

No. I've heard the position that God helps those who help themselves..... that God makes salvation possible but we save ourselves..... the Jesus opened the door to heaven but one has to get through it by their own will and good works..... I've heard essentially the same thing from Jews, Muslims and some Hindus for why Christianity is wrong because no Savior is needed - just the opportunity for salvation and sufficient enabling so we can do it and correct leadership to show the way. I get it, I just don't see how that "jibes" with the central, foundational point of Christianity - the point on which Christianity stands or falls: We need a SAVIOR, God has supplied that Savior, His name is Jesus. I'm TRYING to understand how Christians (and obviously you are) hold this this view that Jesus is the Savior but....... not really. The whole idea of one who saves us seems to offend some Christians. I'm really puzzled by that.

Okay. I was just TRYING to understand this passionate rejection of Jesus as the full Savior, this seeming objection and even offense to the idea that Jesus saves, and what role people think Jesus has if it's not to save us. I really and sincerely TRIED to understand that position. Obviously it's passionate! People really seem offended by what I thought was a position we all rejoiced in, not got offended by: Jesus saves, Jesus is the Savior.

Perhaps it best if you do depart the discussion..... I don't want to offend or disturb, only understand.

It is not a passionate rejection of Jesus as the full Savior.
It's a passionate rejection of that that gets implied.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married

But if one is spiritually alive, if one has faith, if one is saved - didn't something happen, didn't something change? Is it forbidden to hold who did it? Who gave it? ????? You appear to have a great passion against the position that Jesus did it, Jesus saves us, Jesus is the Savior (it's His grace, His works, "the free gift of God). That position has caused a few here at CH to become quite upset, angry. Some seem to see the position that Jesus is the Savior and Jesus does the Savior as offensive, disrespectful toward the dead receiver of that; indeed the whole idea of rescuing/saving seems offensive the some. That surprises me, coming from Christians.

No, I'm not telling anyone that the dead must do "x, y, z" - perfectly or sufficiently or otherwise - in order to save themselves. I think I've actually been suggesting something quite different: Jesus saves. By grace (the free gift of God, the undeserved/unmerited grace of God. I'm not sure HOW God does that (I've stated I think the dynamics are mystery) but it's not self saving self (1% or 10% or 90% or 100%), it's a case that Jesus saves. It's MY position that the Savior is Jesus and that Jesus is the Savior (not Enabler or Door Opening or Possibility-Maker) but SAVIOR, rescuer, life-giver. And that has angered and offended some Christians. TRYING to understand that.....

- Josiah
Explain eveangelists to me or even the need for God to work through people spreading the gospel if I am to accept your position, seems like a waste according to you yet I know it works and many get saved because of it and what does he do but convict with the Word and lead people to salvation, ( yes it is the Holy Spirit that convicts and urges one to accept). One other thing I did not say God helps those who help themselves, I did say that the Holy Spirit works through us to prick that persons heart with the Word and see Jesus as saviour, not that we do it ourselves. It is these misrepresentations that are upsetting not only to me but to others as well. As I know you are versed in many different denominations please stop this and admit that while you may not agree you at least have understanding of what we believe

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Explain eveangelists to me or even the need for God to work through people spreading the gospel if I am to accept your position, seems like a waste according to you yet I know it works and many get saved because of it and what does he do but convict with the Word and lead people to salvation, ( yes it is the Holy Spirit that convicts and urges one to accept)

Because God uses MEANS (typically) in order to perform the miracle. Jesus once used a spit ball as a tool to perform the miracle of healing.... does Jesus using a spit ball mean that ergo no miracle happened, there's no Gospel or grace here just the mans' obedience to the Law? Does it mean the man caused himself to be healed? No, it just means that SOMETIMES Jesus uses means in which to perform His miracle of giving "the free gift of faith lest any should boast."

I believe that Lazarus was RAISED to life (the verb in the text is entirely passive on his part, entirely active on Jesus' part..... Yes Jesus did this FOR Lazarus, who was entirely passive). Jesus didn't use a spit all here but he might have. John the Baptist believed before he was even born, but I don't know that God used any means..... Mary conceived a Son but I doubt any means were used..... But your point, Bill, is correct. NORMALLY, God uses means. But is it the spit ball that caused the healing of that man born blind or Jesus USING it?

YES, obviously, we ARE commanded to go and make disciples (which suggests God can - and does - use us as means). We are to BAPTIZE and TEACH. Does God USE the water and the Word as tools to perform His miracle, His act of pure grace, His FREE GIFT? Nearly always. Does that mean that the one who DEAD but gives permission to baptize him or speak to him about Jesus is actually the savior of himself by what he did for himself? I don't believe so.

Like Jesus with Nicodemus, I need to use earthly things here. But I likely was conceived around April 23, 1987 and thus was GIVEN life then. GIVEN. GRACE. FREE GIFT lest any should boast. There is a LIFE GIVER.... giver. Now, did God use some means? Yeah. I have parents. We all know what work they performed. But I still believe that GOD gave me life. I suspect you strongly disagree. I believe Lazarus was raised from the DEAD. Not because the dead can and do will themselves back to life (and so Jesus had nothing to do with his rising), I believe JESUS GAVE him life, Jesus rescued him, Jesus saved him. He didn't gain life because Lazarus - while dead - willed or decided or performed anything whatsoever. I believe Jesus did it. A miracle. Pure grace. I suspect you disagree.

AGAIN, of course, as I've posted countless time, obviously there is MUCH associated with justification (all important) I just don't believe the dead raise up THEMSELVES to life, I don't believe that Jesus doesn't really actually SAVE anyone but rather rewards their achievements, works, accomplishments, "hoop jumping" (still unclear how dead people DO anything - they don't believe in God, they don't think God even exists, they don't give a rip about God, they have NO life, NO relationship with God.... they are "dead in their tresspasses and sins" "no one can even say the words Jesus is Lord"). I think Jesus needs to rescue, give, perform a MIRACLE of rising from the DEAD.... save. Now.... a lot of things may RESULT from that: we may then hold that God does exist, we may want to repent, we may SAY what we NOW BELIEVE... but how does one who doesn't believe, who doesn't have life, who isn't rescued say "Jesus is my Savior?" when he's not and they don't yet believe in Jesus or even think he ever existed or give a rip if he did? Doesn't Jesus first CHANGE them, ENLIVEN them, GIVE them faith? DOn't they need to be SAVED and be a CHRISTIAN before they will believe and do the things only Christians believe and only Christian can believe?

Some here have claimed I'm being DENOMINATIONAL here, that this idea that Jesus does the saving, Jesus rescues us, Jesus gives us spritual life, Jesus changes our condition and relationship to God - that that's a radical and purely LUTHERAN thing. I don't think so. Why... I well recall being in a BAPTIST church, and the pastor issuing an ALTAR CALL and the BAPTIST preacher declaring that something like, "if your hands are sweety, if your heart is pounding, if you WANT to come up there - that's because you HAVE faith, the Holy Spirit has been given to you, Jesus has made you His own..... now come down here and dedicate your life and your future to him! Actually, I'm perfectly good with that. And that came from a BAPTIST at an ALTAR CALL, not some 'denominational Lutheran." Seems to me that BAPTIST would agree with me: Jesus IS the one and only, all sufficient, total SAVIOR who performs a MIRACLE (yes, often with means) and GIVES us life, faith, salvation..... WE don't save ourselves: not a bit, not at all, not now, not ever. Im pretty sure that Baptist preacher would AGREE with what Lamm and Tigger and Turtlehare and myself and others have been saying. SURE, there are MANY things our new conditions, our new life means that we do: Repent, confess, love, grow in righteousness, etc. I CAN see how some of the things in Scripture can be spun so as to deny the Gospel and deny that Jesus saves. But I think the misunderstanding largely vanishes when people start noticing the word is "and" and not "then." Is breathing an essential part of life? Yes. Does a dead person breathing cause them to come to life? No. Does God want all to breath? Yes. Does obeying him mean we thus come to life? No.

- Josiah

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Explain eveangelists to me or even the need for God to work through people spreading the gospel if I am to accept your position, seems like a waste according to you yet I know it works and many get saved because of it and what does he do but convict with the Word and lead people to salvation, ( yes it is the Holy Spirit that convicts and urges one to accept). One other thing I did not say God helps those who help themselves, I did say that the Holy Spirit works through us to prick that persons heart with the Word and see Jesus as saviour, not that we do it ourselves. It is these misrepresentations that are upsetting not only to me but to others as well. As I know you are versed in many different denominations please stop this and admit that while you may not agree you at least have understanding of what we believe

You stated right there what happens. The Holy Spirit uses the word and what happens is that the Holy Spirit is the one who converts. He does so with the Gospel about Jesus. The word is alive and active and does not return to God empty. You also wrote the Holy Spirit works through us to prick that persons heart with the Word and see Jesus as saviour. Again, we see the Holy Spirit using the word to open the eyes to Jesus. That's faith giving right there. And those who have faith HAVE salvation. That's it. That's how it works.

Cassia

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
You stated right there what happens. The Holy Spirit uses the word and what happens is that the Holy Spirit is the one who converts. He does so with the Gospel about Jesus. The word is alive and active and does not return to God empty. You also wrote the Holy Spirit works through us to prick that persons heart with the Word and see Jesus as saviour. Again, we see the Holy Spirit using the word to open the eyes to Jesus. That's faith giving right there. And those who have faith HAVE salvation. That's it. That's how it works.
That is right. That's what everyone is agreeing on. But it just keeps getting regurgatated ad Nasuem until all can bow at anothers feet to their way of saying the same thing. What a waste of everyone's time.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
That is right. That's what everyone is agreeing on. But it just keeps getting regurgatated ad Nasuem until all can bow at anothers feet to their way of saying the same thing. What a waste of everyone's time.

Here is where the problem comes in...when people add to that for salvation. If they would just stop at that point then we all agree it's the work of the Holy Spirit.

Cassia

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Here is where the problem comes in...when people add to that for salvation. If they would just stop at that point then we all agree it's the work of the Holy Spirit.
It is the work of the Holy Spirit and all have agreed. Who hasn't and what is being added? Do you mean the fact that there is more to it than that after salvation? We all agree on that too because you guys are aware that losses are possible.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It is the work of the Holy Spirit and all have agreed. Who hasn't and what is being added? Do you mean the fact that there is more to it than that after salvation? We all agree on that too because you guys are aware that losses are possible.

What is being disagreed on is that there is one group that says that man's response (whether it's Repentance, acceptance, deciding) is a contributing factor. The other group says no, leave it at that where the Holy Spirit has done the work by grace through faith and nothing from ourselves.

Cassia

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
What is being disagreed on is that there is one group that says that man's response (whether it's Repentance, acceptance, deciding) is a contributing factor. The other group says no, leave it at that where the Holy Spirit has done the work by grace through faith and nothing from ourselves.
You search the scriptures but it does not give you life. And refuse to come to Him to receive it. He was talking to the Judaists that didn't accept Him as the Messiah, because they were blinded so that Christians could be grafted in. They had the same root but were not part of that which is the branches of Christ for the bearing of fruit thru Him. But they have a promise.
When the disciples on the road to Emmaus encountered Jesus and those shortly thereafter first saw Him in resurrected life they were first made to see Him and then their eyes were opened to Him.
Yes He did all of that and that they were followers first says something also. Those who search the scriptures are led to Christ thru-out the whole bible. But He opens the eyes.
There's a whole other discussion that can be had whether there is the need to be where Christ is to hear the Word and accept new birth or whether He comes to us outside of being in the Word.

What's your take on that?

Brighten04

Religious Affiliation
Protestant
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married

How MANY times do we have to say Jesus is the Savior? He is the one and only Savior. He is Lord. He gives grace, truth, faith. We all agree on this. Let's agree where we can. The Holy Spirit is the one who convicts of sin.

7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

John 16:8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

9 Of sin, because they believe not on me; KJV

John 16:8-11 “When he comes, he’ll expose the error of the godless world’s view of sin, righteousness, and judgment: He’ll show them that their refusal to believe in me is their basic sin; that righteousness comes from above, where I am with the Father, out of their sight and control; that judgment takes place as the ruler of this godless world is brought to trial and convicted.

I think everyone here has no problem with these verses. So it can end here.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

I agree.

Some seem to say, "Jesus is the Savior BUT you gotta do x, y, and z in order to be saved."

The ".... BUT YOU GOTTA" negates the "Jesus is the Savior." In that declaration, Jesus is not the Savior. He MIGHT be part Savior (thus your always ignored question of what percent Savior is Jesus and what percent is self).... He might be the Enabler (as some here have proposed) a view that actually is far more aliened with modern Judaism, Islam and some forms of Hinduism than Christianity.... He might be the Possibility-Maker (also as has been proposed here at CH) in that He makes it possible for self to save self..... He might be the "Doorman" who opens the door to heaven to those worthy, those who have done enough well enough, those accomplishing it.... but obviously if Jesus doesn't save us then Jesus is not the Savior. Obviously. Ain't complicated. Posters trying to evade that (so persistently) doesn't change the reality.

I admit I'm surprised to see Christians so upset over what you, Tigger, Turtlehare, myself and others have proposed: That Jesus is the Savior and thus it's Jesus that saves us. I believe that Jesus is the Savior - no "ifs" "ands" or "buts" about it. I always thought that is the very core, the very foundation, the central and defining point of Christianity. It is the Gospel. Amazing to see CHRISTIANS offended by it (and yes, we're seeing offense!).

I keep thinking maybe they are confusing justification (the issue here) with sanctification: what Jesus does to cause life in us, to bring faith to us - with what THEN, how we respond to this gift of life and faith, how we then "live out" or "work out" this gift. But no..... they are persistent.... the issue is GAINING life, faith, salvation - it's OUR stuff (some indicate it's all our stuff, some partly our stuff, our accomplishment, our works). In several of the posts here, there's not only offense at the Gospel but the Gospel has been eliminated entirely!!! People stating their position on justification without so much as a mention of Jesus or the Cross or mercy or grace.... just self (perhaps enabled, perhaps not). Surprising! And IMO, disturbing.

Of course, as I've posted many times (always entirely ignored) there is great MYSTERY here..... we aren't told and don't know all the dynamics of HOW God gives this, HOW God changes us. I think maybe some are pressing their "theories" and trying to make God and Scripture agree with them.... that alone is troubling but the Gospel is being denied or destroyed in the process, THE key point of Christianity, the whole point on which it stands or falls, is being at least threatened: Jesus is the Savior and Jesus does the saving. I had hoped some would see that, but no. I've TRIED (sincerely!) to understand how Christians can be so upset, so offended by the position you, I and others have stated: Jesus is the Savior and Jesus does the saving. I have sincerely TRIED to see why that offends them, why they feel SO passionate about negating that. But to no avail. Now were getting personal flaming in stead of any attempt to explain. I'm surprised. Amazed.

Soli DEO Gloria

- Josiah

Last edited:

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
Jesus is the Saviour. You don't have to do anything, you don't have to repent, follow Him, ask Him to forgive your sins. Don't do that. It's forbidden.
I hope you don't say that.
It's only about when is someone saved. When they get the gift of faith or when they use it and talk.
The man at Bethesda. Do you want to be healed? He had to say yes. Jesus asked permission. He doesn't force His healing on him.
He said which is easier to say take up your bed and walk or to say your sins are forgiven. So yeah maybe you're right, when he saw his faith his sins were forgiven and he stood up. But if he didn't stand up the faith would be useless and dead and there was no faith. Faith acts. You see the change when you act on the faith.

The guy did do an act of faith. He let himself be carried through the roof. He went to Jesus. Had he stayed home nothing would have happened.

Then they came to Him, bringing a paralytic who was carried by four men. 4 And when they could not come near Him because of the crowd, they uncovered the roof where He was. So when they had broken through, they let down the bed on which the paralytic was lying.

5 When Jesus saw their faith, He said to the paralytic, “Son, your sins are forgiven you.”

6 And some of the scribes were sitting there and reasoning in their hearts, 7 “Why does this Man speak blasphemies like this? Who can forgive sins but God alone?”

8 But immediately, when Jesus perceived in His spirit that they reasoned thus within themselves, He said to them, “Why do you reason about these things in your hearts? 9 Which is easier, to say to the paralytic, ‘Your sins are forgiven you,’ or to say, ‘Arise, take up your bed and walk’? 10 But that you may know that the Son of Man has power on earth to forgive sins”—He said to the paralytic, 11 “I say to you, arise, take up your bed, and go to your house.” 12 Immediately he arose, took up the bed, and went out in the presence of them all, so that all were amazed and glorified God, saying, “We never saw anything like this!”

Last edited:

Cassia

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
I'm quite sure that what people are pointing out is what Peter referred to as making your election sure thru the proof of His equipting

Colossians 3:12
As God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience.​

Barnes notes
Put on therefore, as the elect of God. The fact that you thus belong to one and the same church; that you have been redeemed by the same blood, and chosen by the same grace, and that you are all brethren, should lead you to manifest a spirit of kindness, gentleness, and love.
((Phillipians 2:1-4)) This exhortation he enforces in a most impressive manner by a reference to the example of Christian example of condescension and humiliation fitted to repress in us all the aspirings of ambition and to make us ready to submit to the most humble offices to benefit others,
((Ephesians 4:32))Verse 32. And be ye kind one to another. Benignant, mild, courteous, polite--crhstoi. 1Pe 3:8. Christianity produces true courteousness, or politeness. It does not make one rough, crabbed, sour; nor does it dispose its followers to violate the proper rules of social intercourse. The secret of true politeness is benevolence, or a desire to make others happy; and a Christian should be the most polite of men. There is no religion in a sour, misanthropic temper; none in rudeness, stiffness, and repulsiveness; none in violating the rules of good-breeding. There is a hollow-hearted politeness, indeed, which the Christian is not to aim at or copy. His politeness is to be based on kindness, Col 3:12. His courtesy is to be the result of love, good-will, and a desire of the happiness of all others; and this will prompt to the kind of conduct that will render his intercourse with others agreeable and profitable.

Kindness, etc. Cmt. on Eph 4:32. The language here is a little different from what it is there, but the sentiment is the same.

You claim that it's offtopic, others think it isn't.

Brighten04

Religious Affiliation
Protestant
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Jesus is the Saviour. You don't have to do anything, you don't have to repent, follow Him, ask Him to forgive your sins. Don't do that. It's forbidden.
I hope you don't say that.
It's only about when is someone saved. When they get the gift of faith or when they use it and talk.
The man at Bethesda. Do you want to be healed? He had to say yes. Jesus asked permission. He doesn't force His healing on him.
He said which is easier to say take up your bed and walk or to say your sins are forgiven. So yeah maybe you're right, when he saw his faith his sins were forgiven and he stood up. But if he didn't stand up the faith would be useless and dead and there was no faith. Faith acts. You see the change when you act on the faith.

The guy did do an act of faith. He let himself be carried through the roof. He went to Jesus. Had he stayed home nothing would have happened.

Then they came to Him, bringing a paralytic who was carried by four men. 4 And when they could not come near Him because of the crowd, they uncovered the roof where He was. So when they had broken through, they let down the bed on which the paralytic was lying.

5 When Jesus saw their faith, He said to the paralytic, “Son, your sins are forgiven you.”

6 And some of the scribes were sitting there and reasoning in their hearts, 7 “Why does this Man speak blasphemies like this? Who can forgive sins but God alone?”

8 But immediately, when Jesus perceived in His spirit that they reasoned thus within themselves, He said to them, “Why do you reason about these things in your hearts? 9 Which is easier, to say to the paralytic, ‘Your sins are forgiven you,’ or to say, ‘Arise, take up your bed and walk’? 10 But that you may know that the Son of Man has power on earth to forgive sins”—He said to the paralytic, 11 “I say to you, arise, take up your bed, and go to your house.” 12 Immediately he arose, took up the bed, and went out in the presence of them all, so that all were amazed and glorified God, saying, “We never saw anything like this!”

These are excellent examples sis :) . Here is another. The woman with the issue of blood had faith that she could be healed by the Lord Jesus, but, until she acted on her faith, she was not healed. And Lord Jesus commended her faith.

Mark 5:25 And a certain woman, which had an issue of blood twelve years,

26 And had suffered many things of many physicians, and had spent all that she had, and was nothing bettered, but rather grew worse,

27 When she had heard of Jesus, came in the press behind, and touched his garment.

28 For she said, If I may touch but his clothes, I shall be whole.

29 And straightway the fountain of her blood was dried up; and she felt in her body that she was healed of that plague.

30 And Jesus, immediately knowing in himself that virtue had gone out of him, turned him about in the press, and said, Who touched my clothes?

31 And his disciples said unto him, Thou seest the multitude thronging thee, and sayest thou, Who touched me?

32 And he looked round about to see her that had done this thing.

33 But the woman fearing and trembling, knowing what was done in her, came and fell down before him, and told him all the truth.

34 And he said unto her, Daughter, thy faith hath made thee whole; go in peace, and be whole of thy plague.

By the way, she was healed but not saved yet as Lord Jesus had not yet gone to the cross.

Cassia

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
nvmd I already know the pat answer

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
[MENTION=13]Josiah[/MENTION]

See post #55

Rens said:

Of the recorded miracles of Jesus, you found one of the very few where Jesus does that. Of course, you ignored the rising of Lazarus - a case of one being dead (as all non-believers, non-saved are) being raised to life (which is what justification is, only spiritual rather than physical life). Was Jesus wrong to GIVE Lazarus life, as a miracle of grace, the free gift of God lest any should boast?

- Josiah

Last edited:
Top Bottom