Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
It's a horrible topic to think about but at some point it's something that has to be discussed.

Have you ever had to put your pet to sleep? Or do you let them die at home?

I didn't realize there was such a high cost for it when our dog was ill and I'm glad she passed away quietly at home. Still it was expensive for them dispose of the body since our ground was frozen and I couldn't bury her. This was 3 years ago that she passed.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I had to euthanise my Mum's cat, it was a long time ago, and it was not very expensive and the vet disposed of the cat's body. I was quite fond of the cat, he was quite old and I had named him when I was a child. He was clever and affectionate but quite naughty. It was sad to see him so ill with kidney failure so despite the pain of loss it was better to end the suffering than to prolong it.

Makes me wonder about how we ought to deal with people who are suffering terribly yet can be made to continue by the use of drugs and various medical interventions ...

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
I personally have never put a pet to sleep. My cat died and I buried it. In past years family has put pets down for various reasons.

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
I had to euthanise my Mum's cat, it was a long time ago, and it was not very expensive and the vet disposed of the cat's body. I was quite fond of the cat, he was quite old and I had named him when I was a child. He was clever and affectionate but quite naughty. It was sad to see him so ill with kidney failure so despite the pain of loss it was better to end the suffering than to prolong it.

Makes me wonder about how we ought to deal with people who are suffering terribly yet can be made to continue by the use of drugs and various medical interventions ...

Just do christian euthanasia. My grandmother didnt recognize anyone anymore, my dad said it was absolutely horrible the condition she was in. So I said: God heal her now instant or take her home now. Same day she died. My aunt took care of her and forgot to close the window, so she died from pneumonia. My aunt felt guilty the rest of her life, poor thing. My ex's dad, I saw him, terrible and they expected him to suffer for months. He wanted to go to heaven he said so we prayed and he went the same day. Nurse came in looking at them and said: what happened? She thought they had pulled the plug out.
About animals, once with my bird the Benny Hinn worship didnt build his faith up enough but normally those birds just drop dead and he kept living for days after he fell. I made an appointment and just before I'd go with him zjooof off he flied into heaven, he spread his wings and was gone.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I see it coming for people but I dont agree with it. When it is time God will take us home and if it is legalized then iot becomes some doctor or panel that will determine when it should be done according to whatever definition they give to quality of life. I dont ever want to see this happen

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
It's been legal a long time here. Insane. One guy at the office some 10 years ago: oh next week my father in law is having euthanasia. What??? Does he even know Jesus? Can you tell him the gospel for me although youre an atheist? no dad in law was not open for that. My goodness prayed and fasted for a week for that guy to at least get saved. They have no idea.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It's a horrible topic to think about but at some point it's something that has to be discussed.

Have you ever had to put your pet to sleep? Or do you let them die at home?

I didn't realize there was such a high cost for it when our dog was ill and I'm glad she passed away quietly at home. Still it was expensive for them dispose of the body since our ground was frozen and I couldn't bury her. This was 3 years ago that she passed.

Yes......

My rabbit of 9 years.....

When I rescued him, I was in college and living in an apartment. The family downstairs had the bunny but treated it poorly and it often got out and rid in great fright. I found and returned it a few times.... but one day, I found it injured (probably by a dog or cat) and obviously underfed. I did not return it but brought it into my apartment. Knowing they had gotten the bunny for a little boy who obviously had tired of it, I offer them $80.00 to keep it - and they thought I was nuts to pay so much for a rabbit (and maybe I was..... looking back, I'm pretty sure they would have given it to me). Off I rushed to the vet.... and about $1000.00 (yes, that's one THOUSAND bucks) later, I had a rabbit. A very scared, shy, injured rabbit (who later turned out to have two chonic conditions from being outdoors).

He quickly became a good friend. He had the run of the place since he was EXCELLENT with his litter box and never chewed on anything (I was pretty lucky on that last point). Totally a house rabbit (never going outside) he soon gained weight, his fir actually changed colors and became luxuriously soft, and he became very friendly and outgoing. I had him for 9 years (he was probably about 2 when I got him). He greeted me at the door when I came home, welcomed me in the morning.... greeted guests with a need to be petted....

He developed arthritis very quickly and very severely.... so that he really couldn't use one of his back legs, and it was advancing fast in his back. Lots of trips to the vet..... lots of money..... finally the vet hugged me and said "it's time." I cried and cried....

Hard....

- Josiah

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
My cat. 14 years. My best friend. Really my only friend at the time and for quite a while. Didnt end so good. I feel like a betrayer. I beg for forgiveness. Will never do that again, obviously, bc the vet said, 'You'll never have a better friend than him'.
Whammy! She's right, and ever since I've been afraid I've got some Judas spirit and it's too late to do anything about it. Throwing back the silver is meaningless.
And the thing was, he kind of adopted me.
He was such a good boy. He was so smart, too.
Fast and strong at times, regal at times, but seemed so frail at the end, meds didnt work, and I didnt have the money, but maybe I could have done more.
He deserved better than me. He was really special.
And to top it off, he was a pure white cat from head to toe, not a mark on him, he really was like a little lamb without spot or blemish, and I had him put to death and let him be thrown in the fire. I caused it, actually. Paid to have it done.
I guess I just didnt have enough faith.
Really hurts. I guess I'll never get over it, but I really don't deserve to. Crying again. I miss him so. :( Praying much for Rens and Fluff, but my prayers don't seem to do much. idk.
Just asking God for His grace, mercy, forgiveness, and healing hand in Jesus' name.

Last edited:

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
My cat. 14 years. My best friend. Really my only friend at the time and for quite a while. Didnt end so good. I feel like a betrayer. I beg for forgiveness. Will never do that again, obviously, bc the vet said, 'You'll never have a better friend than him'.
Whammy! She's right, and ever since I've been afraid I've got some Judas spirit and it's too late to do anything about it. Throwing back the silver is meaningless.
And the thing was, he kind of adopted me.
He was such a good boy. He was so smart, too.
Fast and strong at times, regal at times, but seemed so frail at the end, meds didnt work, and I didnt have the money, but maybe I could have done more.
He deserved better than me. He was really special.
And to top it off, he was a pure white cat from head to toe, not a mark on him, he really was like a little lamb without spot or blemish, and I had him put to death and let him be thrown in the fire. I caused it, actually. Paid to have it done.
I guess I just didnt have enough faith.
Really hurts. I guess I'll never get over it, but I really don't deserve to. Crying again. I miss him so. :( Praying much for Rens and Fluff, but my prayers don't seem to do much. idk.
Just asking God for His grace, mercy, forgiveness, and healing hand in Jesus' name.

He's still mad at you.

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I wouldn't leave an animal to suffer. We took my wife's hamster to the vet for "the visit" when it had a growth on its neck. At first we figured it was still acting normally but when it became the size of a walnut within a week we figured it was time.

I had a pet snake for nearly 20 years and had to have her put to sleep. She had an enlarged heart which meant she couldn't eat. I didn't want to put her to sleep but it seemed far more humane than letting her literally starve to death.

~Jo~

The Cakeslayer
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Liberal
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
No
I always feel like the hang man in this house its always been me taking our animals to the vet and it breaks my heart with each one and gets harder every time I have to do it, I have loved all my animals and it feels like part of my family has died and we miss them all so much but looingk back at the times we had them and the pictures we got of some....just writing this makes me cry . but I wouldn't have them suffer that's just not fair to them when they gave so much joy to us.....

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Why did I start this thread? I can't read all these stories, they're making me cry :(

We love our pets don't we? :D

~Jo~

The Cakeslayer
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Liberal
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
No
I know that feeling lamm just writing mine i cried and reading the others didnt help but sadly it has be to done like it or not ... I still have to cats and I am dreading it when there time comes ..

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Jo, I think that is another reason I don't want to get another pet. I don't want the end to be like that where I have to decide to do something.

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
Once I visited my parents. My. It was like a major disaster had happened, the atmosphere, sooooo down. My mom said: A heron came and ate all the fishes from the pool in the garden, so my dad was completely down. Turned out they were just smart and hid at the bottom some days lol. Gosh. He was so upset.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Once I visited my parents. My. It was like a major disaster had happened, the atmosphere, sooooo down. My mom said: A heron came and ate all the fishes from the pool in the garden, so my dad was completely down. Turned out they were just smart and hid at the bottom some days lol. Gosh. He was so upset.

I think of fish more as dinner than as pets :p

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
Once with a group in university, we were walking and a mouse was half stuck to the road, someone rode over it but it was still alive and I was standing around it with some girls and we asked all the guys and teachers if they could kill it but they were all too chicken. Then one guy with huge boots said: sure. Bam. Gone mouse. Flat.
Lol my dad's an extreme vegetarian and he raised me like that and my mom the daughter of a slaughter. Her brother, also a slaughter, was my favorite uncle, so sweet and funny with kids. They lied to me that he was a teacher not to upset my feelings and he said: yeah they learn a lot. Then one day he showed me a pic from a cow, so proud: look this was the first cow I slaughtered by myself. Ehmmm okay. There went my nice image of my favorite uncle lol.

Last edited:

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

My dad used to own a 75 gallon fish aquarium when I was young and every morning we would have to count the fish because some would jump out and crawl around! Suicidal fish?

Top Bottom