Dehydrated Mediteranean Almond Bread

Cassia

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Mediterranean Almond Bread (from the kitchen of Russel James aka the raw chef)

Makes 18 ‘slices’

1/2 cup olive oil
1 cup sun-dried tomatoes, loosely packed
3 medium courgettes (zucchini), peeled and roughly chopped
2 apples, cored and roughly chopped
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons Herbs de Provence or herbs of your choice
2 tablespoons marjoram or herbs of your choice
3 cups almond flour*
1 cup flax meal

*You can make almond flour a number of ways. My favourite is to save the pulp from any almond milk I make and dehydrate it so I can keep it in a glass jar until needed. You could also use the almond pulp wet. Another way would be just to grind some almonds into flour in a high-powered blender or coffee mill.

Process the olive oil, sun-dried tomatoes, courgette, apple, lemon juice, salt and dried herbs until thoroughly mixed.
Add the almond flour and process again until a batter is formed.
In a bowl, mix the batter with the flax meal by hand. The reason you do this separately (not in the processor) is that you are likely to have too much mixture for the size of the processor at this point. When you add the flax meal, the mixture will become quite heavy and sticky and could overwork your machine.
When mixed, process the whole batter in the machine again in small batches to achieve a light fluffy texture.
Divide the mixture in 2 and place on nonstick dehydrator sheets on dehydrator trays.
Use an offset spatula (aka offset palette knife or cranked palette knife) to spread the mixture evenly to all 4 sides and corners of the nonstick sheet. If the mixture is too sticky, you can wet the spatula to make things easier. Score the whole thing into 9 squares with a knife.
Dehydrate for 2 hours at 105 degrees F. Then remove the nonstick sheets by placing another dehydrator tray and mesh on top and invert so that your original sheet of bread is upside down. That will allow you to peel the nonstick sheet off and continue to dehydrate the underside of the bread.
Dehydrate for approx 8 hours more at 105 degrees F (do this overnight so you’re not tempted to eat it before it’s ready) or until bread feels light in your hand. If the pieces don’t fully come apart where you scored, use a knife to cut them.

( I haven't tried this yet but sounds great)

Brighten04

Religious Affiliation
Protestant
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Sounds like it should be very good. Thanks for the recipe, but I doubt if I will try it. I would have to go out and buy a dehydrator. :thumbsdown:

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Sounds like it should be very good. Thanks for the recipe, but I doubt if I will try it. I would have to go out and buy a dehydrator. :thumbsdown:

I use my dehydrator all the time! It saves me so much money keeping food stuffs in what would otherwise turn out to be wasted food! It's great for making your own spices as well.

Top Bottom