Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Every good gift and all graces come from God so all healing and all good things are his gifts yet they are not a special sign that the faithful alone enjoy, all people receive healing mercies from God and the ministrations of doctors work equally for sinner and saint. The atonement is effective for the faithful who endure in faith until the end it is not effective for the wicked so if healing were in the atonement then either the wicked would not heal when sick or wounded or the faithful would never get sick or be wounded. Experience shown that neither of this things is true. Both the faithful and the wicked can be wounded and both fall ill. So the claim that physical healing is in the atonement is shown by experience and by holy scripture to be incorrect.
Then where do you say healing is? As we know that God still heals today

Hammster

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
People get healed of all sorts of maladies today. And they did so before the atonement. And some are believers. Most are not. So the Isaiah passage is obviously not about physical healing.

Sent from my iPhone using my right thumb.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Then where do you say healing is? As we know that God still heals today
Absolute and final healing is in the resurrection of the just.

Earthly healing is in the grace and mercy of God.

Prayer can be effective in healing as the holy scriptures say.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
And so it is. Many miracles still take place today.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
So if healing is in the atonement because many miracles take place today then why did I have a cold last week?

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Not many people are disputing that. But the existence of miracles is a far cry from the universal supply of miracles on demand.

If it is always God's will to heal why are some people not healed? Why do we get sick at all? If God was going to heal everybody on demand, wouldn't it make more sense to simply eradicate sickness among his people? Otherwise it makes God look like some kind of bimbling half-wit who needs to be prodded and cajoled before giving a "ah, sorry, I'll get right on it" kind of response.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Not many people are disputing that. But the existence of miracles is a far cry from the universal supply of miracles on demand.

If it is always God's will to heal why are some people not healed? Why do we get sick at all? If God was going to heal everybody on demand, wouldn't it make more sense to simply eradicate sickness among his people? Otherwise it makes God look like some kind of bumbling half-wit who needs to be prodded and cajoled before giving a "ah, sorry, I'll get right on it" kind of response.

I think that there's a high degree of irrationality in the theology that teaches physical healing in this life is inherently included in the atonement. Mind you, I also think that much of Charismatic teaching is fundamentally irrational.

Top Bottom