United Airlines Removed Passenger After Overbooking

Wilhemena

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Nothing is guaranteed anymore and politeness has gone down the drain. Travelers used to dress to the nines in their suits and dresses to board a flight and now it is leggings and torn jeans so I am not surprised that hospitality is no longer in style either.

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Nothing is guaranteed anymore and politeness has gone down the drain. Travelers used to dress to the nines in their suits and dresses to board a flight and now it is leggings and torn jeans so I am not surprised that hospitality is no longer in style either.
Yeah, I guess these days, everybody's afraid of a little blood splattered on their nice outfits.
(You know ... In case the stewardesses on U/A have to rough somebody up or something) :=D:
If they would just take me up on my idear, and make it so ever'body has to fly naked.
Problem solved. (Okay, everyone gets a cloak to cover up after passing through the boarding scanners.) (Not as much fun, though) :popworm:

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, I guess these days, everybody's afraid of a little blood splattered on their nice outfits.
(You know ... In case the stewardesses on U/A have to rough somebody up or something) :=D:
If they would just take me up on my idear, and make it so ever'body has to fly naked.
Problem solved. (Okay, everyone gets a cloak to cover up after passing through the boarding scanners.) (Not as much fun, though) :popworm:
Next thing they will have the stews carry guns

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Chicken or beef?

attachment.php

She has a slightly scary smile with that gun in her hands!

:smirk:

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
A detail not previously reported.....

Turns out the video we've all seen endlessly is not the beginning of the story.... The passenger and his wife AGREED to give up their seats in return for a generous credit. They had disenbarked and returned to the terminal, and the United workers who had then been given the seats had boarded but not yet taken their seats. During this time, the passenger changed his mind when he learned that the next flight available would not get him home early enough. So he left the terminal, went through the bridge and reentered the plane, taking back his seat, as did his wife (which were still empty). When the United worker attempted to take his/her seat, the passenger was back in it. Eventually, this lead to what we've all seen....

There's often more to the story than these viral videos actually show....

I by NO MEANS support how United handled this returning passenger, that was disgusting and should be illegal. And clearly United is now embarrassed by it (and has refunded the ticket cost to all the passengers on that flight). But it's not EXACTLY as it was originally reported.... the video doesn't tell the whole story....

- Josiah

Last edited:

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yeah and a day after this they came out with his past, like that had anything to do with it. I am disgusted by their handling of this and how they treated a paying customer, I hope that everyone will boycott them and if they go out of business they deserve it

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Yeah and a day after this they came out with his past, like that had anything to do with it. I am disgusted by their handling of this and how they treated a paying customer, I hope that everyone will boycott them and if they go out of business they deserve it

I too am disgusted.... but it turns out, he was NOT a paying customer when this happened. He had ACCEPTED giving up his ticket and seat in exchange for credit. I don't know if this credit was put on his credit card or was credit with United for future flights, but either way - his money had been returned, with his agreement and approval. He had GIVEN UP his seat, his money returned (credited), he had exited the aircraft and returned to the terminal when he changed his mind and simply returned and resumed a seat he had given up.

Again, I'm BY NO MEANS supporting what the United employees did! That was disgusting and should be illegal! I'm simply saying.... there's more to the story (we're finally learning) than what the video shows.

- Josiah

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
Hey, give United a break. At least they threw the guy out of the plane while it was still on the ground! :;;D:

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I too am disgusted.... but it turns out, he was NOT a paying customer when this happened. He had ACCEPTED giving up his ticket and seat in exchange for credit. I don't know if this credit was put on his credit card or was credit with United for future flights, but either way - his money had been returned, with his agreement and approval. He had GIVEN UP his seat, his money returned (credited), he had exited the aircraft and returned to the terminal when he changed his mind and simply returned and resumed a seat he had given up.

Again, I'm BY NO MEANS supporting what the United employees did! That was disgusting and should be illegal! I'm simply saying.... there's more to the story (we're finally learning) than what the video shows.

- Josiah

Another point.....

I've found this OFTEN to be true. Some video goes viral, and a whole "news" story develops OVER THE VIDEO. The video becomes the "news" - not the story/event. It often takes a few days before we learn what is NOT shown on the video.... that often gives the whole thing a different slant. I've seen this over and over.

Again, I'm certainly NOT defending what we see in the video, only pointing out that the real story is now beginning to unfold, and there's a lot more to this than what the video shows and what people have assumed from it.

- Josiah

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Another point.....

I've found this OFTEN to be true. Some video goes viral, and a whole "news" story develops OVER THE VIDEO. The video becomes the "news" - not the story/event. It often takes a few days before we learn what is NOT shown on the video.... that often gives the whole thing a different slant. I've seen this over and over.

Again, I'm certainly NOT defending what we see in the video, only pointing out that the real story is now beginning to unfold, and there's a lot more to this than what the video shows and what people have assumed from it.

- Josiah

The brute force of the video has not changed no matter what else lies beneath the story.

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
Yes, and rumor has it, that upon re-taking his seat after giving it up, he demanded a second little bag of peanuts!
Now that right there is a violation of universal flight laws, and worthy of a beat-down by Mr.Peanut himself!
(What do ppl think, these things grow on trees??!!)

Hey, you KNOW I'm only kidding around....I do feel bad for the guy, the situation could have been handled a lot better, but the whole airline industry situation could be as well.

But as soon as you saw the thugs that were being hired under 'equal opportunity' laws (yah, right) and then, 'no profiling' , while little kids and grannies get pulled out of lines by airport 'security', you knew something sinister was up, and the whole thing is just a big mess now.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The brute force of the video has not changed no matter what else lies beneath the story.

Consider this....
Let's say a person who did NOT have a ticket nonetheless was able to board the plane. Would it be appropriate for the airline to remove the person who did not have a ticket (albeit as non-physically as possible)?

Turns out, this person did not have a ticket. He ONCE did but he voluntarily surrendered it, he gave it up in return for credit. He thus got out of the seat and left the plane and returned to the terminal.... why? Because he did not now have a ticket on that flight, he had voluntarily surrendered it, gave it back to the airline in return for credit.

It was only when he got out to the terminal and discovered the next flight was too late for him to return home at an acceptable time. Did he buy a ticket on that flight? No, it was sold out. He simply was able to get back on the plane - and he took back the seat he had voluntarily surrendered since it was still empty.

Point is: He didn't have a ticket. He was NOT a paying customer.

IMO, United had a right to remove a customer who did not have a ticket. Indeed, security should have prevented him from getting on that plane. OBVIOUSLY, it should not have been done so brutally - I fully agree!! That was disgusting!!! But it's wrong to say he was a paying customer and that he had a ticket; we've finally learned that's simply not true. He was a NON-TICKETED man.

That doesn't excuse what we see on the video.... but it also doesn't excuse him taking that seat and refusing to leave.

Now, I've seen this many times (usually BEFORE the plane boards, however). Overbooking is common and I've often heard this request for people to surrender their ticket in exchange for credit (often an amount FAR greater than the face value of the ticket). There's usually a rush of people going up to the counter - more than are needed. Only once have I heard this on the plane, while boarding - but that obviously was the case here. But what the video doesn't show is this man and his wife ACCEPTED THE OFFER. They volunteered to surrender their ticket (and seats) in return for the credit (I'm imagining the credit was pretty big at this point). They GAVE UP their ticket. They ACCEPTED the credit. They were not paying customers.... they did not have a ticket. And thus left the plane. I suspect this happens a lot (although again, I've witnessed it only once on the plane itself; it's usually all handled at the gate before boarding). Now, I think the policy should be to tell the customer when the next flight would be, what flight they CAN be booked on - before they agree. But I know that's not done. There is a risk involved in accepting this offer, and I think that's understood.

- Josiah

Last edited:

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
How did they let him back on the plane?? LOL It seems there is such a mess for the entirety of their protocol!

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
:mischievous: Vee vill let you know.... (Bang).... NEXT?!!!

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
A detail not previously reported.....

Turns out the video we've all seen endlessly is not the beginning of the story.... The passenger and his wife AGREED to give up their seats in return for a generous credit. They had disenbarked and returned to the terminal, and the United workers who had then been given the seats had boarded but not yet taken their seats. During this time, the passenger changed his mind when he learned that the next flight available would not get him home early enough. So he left the terminal, went through the bridge and reentered the plane, taking back his seat, as did his wife (which were still empty). When the United worker attempted to take his/her seat, the passenger was back in it. Eventually, this lead to what we've all seen....

There's often more to the story than these viral videos actually show....

I by NO MEANS support how United handled this returning passenger, that was disgusting and should be illegal. And clearly United is now embarrassed by it (and has refunded the ticket cost to all the passengers on that flight). But it's not EXACTLY as it was originally reported.... the video doesn't tell the whole story....

- Josiah
That story does not seem very credible.

Only one passenger said that Dao agreed to leave. In the videos you can hear one passenger loudly praising the security officers for forcibly removing Dao. Perhaps the passenger who has made this new claim is the one who was praising the violent action?

"Dao and his wife initially agreed to get off the plane, passenger Jayse Anspach said. But once they found out that the next flight wasn't until Monday afternoon, he demurred and sat back, saying he was a physician who needed to get to work the next day." - from CNN web site

Last edited:

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
:mischievous: Vee vill let you know.... (Bang).... NEXT?!!!
This^ was a reference to a Monty Python sketch.

Having said that, I also want to apologize, in all sincerity, to the guy and his family that had the situation on the United flight.
Though I meant nothing in a mean-spirited way, I nonetheless still joined in on the humor bandwagon, but since found out the more serious nature of the incident and the guy's injuries. That he got hurt like that was no laughing matter, and I'm sure it was a pretty scary and traumatic experience for his wife and him, and I apologize for making light of the matter the way I did. I pray that they heal up quickly, physically and all other ways, and that the situation can be resolved and the ppl involved reconciled, and I hope for some good to come out of the whole incident. Peace, sincerely, Snerf.

Top Bottom