Journey from athiesm/agnosticism to faith?

Mountain Girl 406

Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Has anyone made the journey from athiesm or agnosticism to a strong faith? Or maybe made a round trip...raised with faith, moved towards a state of non belief, and then returned to a belief in God. If so, what helped you on your journey? I've read Merton ' s Seven Storey Mountain, but am not aware of many other books or resources that detail such a journey.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Has anyone made the journey from athiesm or agnosticism to a strong faith? Or maybe made a round trip...raised with faith, moved towards a state of non belief, and then returned to a belief in God. If so, what helped you on your journey? I've read Merton ' s Seven Storey Mountain, but am not aware of many other books or resources that detail such a journey.
Yep. I did.

What helped was reading the gospel according to saint Matthew.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
What helped me is realizing just how sinful I was and what God was allowing to happen in my life because of it

Mountain Girl 406

Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think I'll do that, read through Matthew again. Thanks

Tallguy88

Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Dark Night of the Soul by st. Catherine of Sienna is a perennial work on spiritual dryness (which ties in very well with what we call agnosticism or soft atheism today).

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

I'm odd in many respects (that's just an advance warning because most people don't seem to think or work the way I do, whether that's a good thing or not is subject to some debate :) )

I was raised in the church, went through the motions of attending church, then experimented with parapsychology and the like, gradually got into ceremonial magick, then left it all because it seemed like following Jesus was the right thing to do. A couple of years later a succession of things caused me to decide I wanted nothing to do with the church (although looking back it was as much an issue of not wanting to be like the other Christians I saw around me as not wanting God) and went right back into magic and the occult in general. Not far shy of 20 years later another succession of Very Strange Events brought me back to God.

I'm a fan of talking to real people rather than books, although talking to me online is going to be more akin to reading a book than talking to a real person in that you don't know me and have no way of determining whether my story is credible or not. If you'd like to hear more I'm happy to say more, I just kept it brief so you didn't get a wall of text that wasn't what you were looking for.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
A great journey and by divine intervention I was transformed "let he who steals steal no more" my first act, second was lying, third was jealousy and 4rth was forgiveness, no longer a grave sinner but just a simple sinner in need of God, I found Christ and my world was flipped turned upside down :)
Thank God for his intervention in my life, care to know the whole story? Perhaps I will prepare my testimony and share it sometime in the near future... Thread bump btw! [emoji56][emoji41]

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single

I was an Ayn Rand atheist from 19 to 36 years of age, denying the existence of God and scorning those who affirmed Him...

I was so far from God that only God could reach me...

And when I got to the end of my own efforts at self-healing and failed...

Then the heart of one that was broken and humbled God did not despise...

He came...

Arsenios

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
There are many such stories, read about the man who wrote Amazing Grace, read a couple others that come to mind like Mike Warnke who was a satanist. Quite a few others out there not hard to find in a Christian bookstore

Top Bottom