Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes

We are now in Lent..... it's a church season of repentance and renewal..... it's a time to realize our sin (our grievous fault) that sent and nailed Jesus to the Cross, the necessitated the horror of the Passion. A time to repent (in sackcloth and ashes), a time to plead for MERCY, a time for renewal in faith and life.

While it is absolutely critical that we stand with the tax collector in humility in confessing that we are the sinner His Law condemns.... that what we deserve is only eternal death and hell.... while such is the successful work of the Law..... to plead exclusively for God's MERCY..... on the flip side, it's important to realize that Christians have strength to grow (never reaching perfection) and that temptation - while constant and potentially very strong - is not completely irresistable.

Getting personal....

There are many times when I have been tempted and "said" to the devil - "Get behind me and push!" When I've not resisted but appreciated the temptations of self, the world and the devil..... And I am ashamed of that. And I'd LIKE to say all that is past and now I'm this Super Christian who never sins.... well, I'd fool no one. Not even myself. Even the willful, deliberate stuff..... I sometimes do. And I repent in sackcloth and ashes, like Job.

BUT in Lent, I'm also reminded of our Gospel reading for tomorrow: Jesus' point that if Christians resist the devil, he will flee. A personal story (one of the few with a good ending, thus my sharing it - LOL)... When I was like 14, I was an avid swimmer and surfer - I hung out a lot at the beach and the pool, and most of my friends were "beach bums" I knew from that. I think I was 14 (maybe still 13) when this amazingly cute girl (a couple of years older than me) propositioned me. I'm not talking kissing and hugging here. I remember well (probably always will).... I remember every cell and every chemical in my body demanding I say 'yes.' And I remember my brain - at light speed - rationalizing this: no one would know, she was on "the pill", everyone does it, I could consider this an educational experience ("school") - amazing how my brain worked for me! All this over the course of a very few seconds. I don't recall my exact words (truth: my brain was on overload) but I refused (I hope politely). I don't remember what she said - or even exactly what happened then - only that the sex never happened (or anything else). In some ways, I'm glad for that experience (which I kept a complete secret for perhaps a decade). That temptation and that easy opportunity would repeat itself in the years that followed.... and I remembered that afternoon on the beach and that very cute girl.... and that I could (and did) resist. And even how it turned out okay. Sex waited for my wedding night. When I read that verse (in our Gospel reading for the First Sunday in Lent), I often think of that afternoon on the beach....

Now, I'm no great guy. I am a terrible sinner who falls short of the mark, who misses the mark. I can only beat my chest and say "God have MERCY on me, the sinner." Spiritually, I always have a Cross made with ashes on my forehead. But on the other hand, I'm reminded I'm not the weakling I sometimes like to wish I am and my brain at times tries to convince me I am. Resist the devil and he will flee..... I can't be perfect....but I can do better than the devil tells me, lol.

Your thoughts (especially for this Season of Lent)?

Pax Christi

- Josiah

Last edited:

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It's when we think we're strong that the Devil jumps in and proves we're not. That makes us lean on Jesus even more!

I usually like the Lenten season but this year I don't feel ready for it in that my mind is elsewhere with missing my family and home. I appreciate having these Lenten threads :)

popsthebuilder

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't know too much about lent. I do know that the devil is both the tempter and the one who insists that we are nothing and not able to change or actually do what we know to be good and right. Patience comes with faith. Perceverance is actually being faithful. To sin is love of self and sin. Unconditional devotion is love for GOD and faithfulness to the Holy Spirit. The Christ is the way. The deciever is that part that says it's too difficult for poor little you.

My 2¢ or 1

faith in selfless unity for good

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
It's when we think we're strong that the Devil jumps in and proves we're not. That makes us lean on Jesus even more!

I usually like the Lenten season but this year I don't feel ready for it in that my mind is elsewhere with missing my family and home. I appreciate having these Lenten threads :)

Have you moved away from your home? I can understand family moving because that happens in virtually every family at some time.

I like lent for a host of reasons not least is the anticipation of the Easter Vigil and the baptism, confirmation, and first communion of adults and older children that happens at that time.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Have you moved away from your home? I can understand family moving because that happens in virtually every family at some time.

I like lent for a host of reasons not least is the anticipation of the Easter Vigil and the baptism, confirmation, and first communion of adults and older children that happens at that time.

3 years ago we moved away from everyone we knew because of my husband's job. Because of the distance we don't see our loved ones very often. Planning for holidays is stressful because we don't get to see everyone like we used to. Lent builds up to Easter and it's yet another holiday.

Wilhemena

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
The ancient Christians took the season of lent to instruct new believers before they were to be baptized so my thoughts on Lent are as such, for I find it a proper time to take instruction from God in my own life. God shares with me his ways and I obediently follow in repentance which is our calling Repent and be baptized. A gal only slightly older than I told her husband she wasn't going to return to bible study because she has heard it all before, and for the life of me I could not fathom her flippant attitude. Indeed we have read the scriptures before but open your hearts to hear him and he will offer up more to you, ears that hear and eyes that see.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Exactly Wilhameannna, there is understanding that is carnal and worldly and then there is the spirituyal application and if we cant understand spiritual then we will never truly understand the scriptures as they are intended to be understood

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
The ancient Christians took the season of lent to instruct new believers before they were to be baptized
Yes, we do that now. It is nice to think of the two thousand years that have passed in which preparation for baptism by adults coming to faith has been happening.

so my thoughts on Lent are as such, for I find it a proper time to take instruction from God in my own life. God shares with me his ways and I obediently follow in repentance which is our calling Repent and be baptized. A gal only slightly older than I told her husband she wasn't going to return to bible study because she has heard it all before, and for the life of me I could not fathom her flippant attitude. Indeed we have read the scriptures before but open your hearts to hear him and he will offer up more to you, ears that hear and eyes that see.

Top Bottom