Is the bible enough and do you respect it when you dislike its use?

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
How sweet are thy words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth! Through thy precepts I get understanding; therefore I hate every false way. Thy word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. I have sworn an oath and confirmed it, to observe thy righteous ordinances.
Psalms 119:103-106

JPPT1974

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Oh with the Bible, all else falls into place. And really nothing to dislike but really beyond love it and respect the Bible. As the main author is God!

popsthebuilder

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The bible is enough and I always respect it.

A great many atheists use the bible, namely the ot, to claim contradictions and atrocities towards mankind. The intellectual dishonesty that comes from the mouths of the biased can be difficult to respect at times.

Lastly, other sacred texts from before and after the bible from around the world seem to go very well with the bible. These books; when read comparatively, indeed go together and seemingly reiderate and complement one another in my opinion.

peace

faith in selfless unity for good

Last edited:

Cassia

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
The Bible has the motherload of gold contained within it that holds the truth of what other books may have a nugget of truth that needs digging and comparison to obtain. The bible is lined with golden trails that take a lifetime of discovery. The truths of the Bible can be felt and seem alive in that.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship

Yes I may dislike the use though.
My ex always said if people get mad I preached well. The Word is like a sword and cuts stuff away.

Cassia

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Hate the sin but love the sinner applies to the use of the Bible. Respect for the integrity of the Bible isn't reflected in the misuse of it.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Hate the sin but love the sinner applies to the use of the Bible. Respect for the integrity of the Bible isn't reflected in the misuse of it.

What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if you say you have faith but do not have works? Can faith save you? If a brother or sister is naked and lacks daily food, and one of you says to them, 'Go in peace; keep warm and eat your fill', and yet you do not supply their bodily needs, what is the good of that? So faith by itself, if it has no works, is dead. But someone will say, 'You have faith and I have works.' Show me your faith without works, and I by my works will show you my faith. You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe--and shudder. Do you want to be shown, you senseless person, that faith without works is barren? Was not our ancestor Abraham justified by works when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was brought to completion by the works. Thus the scripture was fulfilled that says, 'Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness', and he was called the friend of God. You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone. Likewise, was not Rahab the prostitute also justified by works when she welcomed the messengers and sent them out by another road? For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is also dead.
James 2:14-26

Cassia

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if you say you have faith but do not have works? Can faith save you? If a brother or sister is naked and lacks daily food, and one of you says to them, 'Go in peace; keep warm and eat your fill', and yet you do not supply their bodily needs, what is the good of that? So faith by itself, if it has no works, is dead. But someone will say, 'You have faith and I have works.' Show me your faith without works, and I by my works will show you my faith. You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe--and shudder. Do you want to be shown, you senseless person, that faith without works is barren? Was not our ancestor Abraham justified by works when he offered his son Isaac on the altar? You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was brought to completion by the works. Thus the scripture was fulfilled that says, 'Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness', and he was called the friend of God. You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone. Likewise, was not Rahab the prostitute also justified by works when she welcomed the messengers and sent them out by another road? For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is also dead.
James 2:14-26
The Son, Holy Spirit and the Father are still working. Is there anything we can add? Maybe in our human spirits but fleshly means accounts for nothing. Motive alone.

“Suppose one of you has a hundred sheep and loses one of them. Doesn’t he leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it? 5 And when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders 6 and goes home. Then he calls his friends and neighbors together and says, ‘Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep.’ 7 I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent.

“Or suppose a woman has ten silver coins[a] and loses one. Doesn’t she light a lamp, sweep the house and search carefully until she finds it? 9 And when she finds it, she calls her friends and neighbors together and says, ‘Rejoice with me; I have found my lost coin.’ 10 In the same way, I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”

Jesus continued: “There was a man who had two sons. 12 The younger one said to his father, ‘Father, give me my share of the estate.’ So he divided his property between them.
13 “Not long after that, the younger son got together all he had, set off for a distant country and there squandered his wealth in wild living. 14 After he had spent everything, there was a severe famine in that whole country, and he began to be in need. 15 So he went and hired himself out to a citizen of that country, who sent him to his fields to feed pigs. 16 He longed to fill his stomach with the pods that the pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything.
17 “When he came to his senses, he said, ‘How many of my father’s hired servants have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! 18 I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. 19 I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired servants.’ 20 So he got up and went to his father.
“But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.
21 “The son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’
22 “But the father said to his servants, ‘Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. 23 Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let’s have a feast and celebrate. 24 For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ So they began to celebrate.
25 “Meanwhile, the older son was in the field. When he came near the house, he heard music and dancing. 26 So he called one of the servants and asked him what was going on. 27 ‘Your brother has come,’ he replied, ‘and your father has killed the fattened calf because he has him back safe and sound.’
28 “The older brother became angry and refused to go in. So his father went out and pleaded with him. 29 But he answered his father, ‘Look! All these years I’ve been slaving for you and never disobeyed your orders. Yet you never gave me even a young goat so I could celebrate with my friends. 30 But when this son of yours who has squandered your property with prostitutes comes home, you kill the fattened calf for him!’
31 “‘My son,’ the father said, ‘you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. 32 But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’”

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
The Son, Holy Spirit and the Father are still working. Is there anything we can add? Maybe in our human spirits but fleshly means accounts for nothing. Motive alone.

[Now the tax collectors and "sinners" were all gathering around to hear him. But the Pharisees and the teachers of the law muttered, "This man welcomes sinners and eats with them." Then Jesus told them this parable: [SUP]Luke 15:1-3[/SUP]]

Luke 15:4-32 said:
Suppose one of you has a hundred sheep and loses one of them. Doesn’t he leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it? 5 And when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders 6 and goes home. Then he calls his friends and neighbors together and says, ‘Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep.’ 7 I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent.

“Or suppose a woman has ten silver coins[a] and loses one. Doesn’t she light a lamp, sweep the house and search carefully until she finds it? 9 And when she finds it, she calls her friends and neighbors together and says, ‘Rejoice with me; I have found my lost coin.’ 10 In the same way, I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”

Jesus continued: “There was a man who had two sons. 12 The younger one said to his father, ‘Father, give me my share of the estate.’ So he divided his property between them.
13 “Not long after that, the younger son got together all he had, set off for a distant country and there squandered his wealth in wild living. 14 After he had spent everything, there was a severe famine in that whole country, and he began to be in need. 15 So he went and hired himself out to a citizen of that country, who sent him to his fields to feed pigs. 16 He longed to fill his stomach with the pods that the pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything.
17 “When he came to his senses, he said, ‘How many of my father’s hired servants have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! 18 I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. 19 I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired servants.’ 20 So he got up and went to his father.
“But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.
21 “The son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’
22 “But the father said to his servants, ‘Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. 23 Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let’s have a feast and celebrate. 24 For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ So they began to celebrate.
25 “Meanwhile, the older son was in the field. When he came near the house, he heard music and dancing. 26 So he called one of the servants and asked him what was going on. 27 ‘Your brother has come,’ he replied, ‘and your father has killed the fattened calf because he has him back safe and sound.’
28 “The older brother became angry and refused to go in. So his father went out and pleaded with him. 29 But he answered his father, ‘Look! All these years I’ve been slaving for you and never disobeyed your orders. Yet you never gave me even a young goat so I could celebrate with my friends. 30 But when this son of yours who has squandered your property with prostitutes comes home, you kill the fattened calf for him!’
31 “‘My son,’ the father said, ‘you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. 32 But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’
Jesus addressed the parables quoted in your post to the people around him but aimed the pointy end of the parables at the "Pharisees and the teachers of the law" who "muttered [in complaint]" against his teaching and against him.

But you ask "is there anything we can add?" to the work of the Father and the Holy Spirit. The answer is yes. Yes we can work as our Heavenly Father works. We can work out our own salvation - in fear and trembling - because we know that it is God who works in us both to do what we do and to will to do it. Yet all the work we do is a gift from God. And when we have done everything good that God's commands us to do we have added nothing to God's person or to God's assets. We have not profited God because everything we do he gives to us and even our existence is a gift from God to us.

I haven't included the scripture citations for what I've quoted from the bible in the above paragraph. If you need me to add them I will in another post.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
[Now the tax collectors and "sinners" were all gathering around to hear him. But the Pharisees and the teachers of the law muttered, "This man welcomes sinners and eats with them." Then Jesus told them this parable: [SUP]Luke 15:1-3[/SUP]]

Jesus addressed the parables quoted in your post to the people around him but aimed the pointy end of the parables at the "Pharisees and the teachers of the law" who "muttered [in complaint]" against his teaching and against him.

But you ask "is there anything we can add?" to the work of the Father and the Holy Spirit. The answer is yes. Yes we can work as our Heavenly Father works. We can work out our own salvation - in fear and trembling - because we know that it is God who works in us both to do what we do and to will to do it. Yet all the work we do is a gift from God. And when we have done everything good that God's commands us to do we have added nothing to God's person or to God's assets. We have not profited God because everything we do he gives to us and even our existence is a gift from God to us.

I haven't included the scripture citations for what I've quoted from the bible in the above paragraph. If you need me to add them I will in another post.

That's work out your salvation .... not work for ;)

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
That's work out your salvation .... not work for ;)

And?

Who is saying it is working for? What exactly do you think 'for' means in this discussion anyway? Christians are not passive in the matter of their salvation.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

The problem is when it is disrespected by being MISused....

As when Law and Gospel are confused, mixed, watered-down....
As when the Law is thrown around but never applied to SELF....
As when the Bible is subjected to the opinions of a single, individual person, sect, cult, denomination...
As when the Bible's words are said to be irrelevant, it's what the Bible MEANS (and only self alone knows what that is)
As when the Bible's words are spun so as to promote the power, authority, unaccountability, lordship of self (person, cult, sect, denomination)
As when the Bible's words are twisted so as to undermine the chief article of Christianity: Christ is the Savior (thus not self - not a bit, not ever, not at all).

Pax Christi

- Josiah

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
And?

Who is saying it is working for? What exactly do you think 'for' means in this discussion anyway? Christians are not passive in the matter of their salvation.

Even you stated no Christian church believes that we work for salvation. Are you contradicting yourself?

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Even you stated no Christian church believes that we work for salvation. Are you contradicting yourself?

I wrote Who is saying it is working for? What exactly do you think 'for' means in this discussion anyway? Christians are not passive in the matter of their salvation. How did you get the idea that what I said implies that anybody - least of all me - is advocating works as earning salvation? Stop it. Honestly!

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
God provides salvation for us. We work out (as in living our lives by grace through faith) our salvation. Lazarus didn't have to work for his 2nd chance at life. Jesus called to him and he was alive again. We do not contribute anything to our salvation.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
God provides salvation for us. We work out (as in living our lives by grace through faith) our salvation. Lazarus didn't have to work for his 2nd chance at life. Jesus called to him and he was alive again. We do not contribute anything to our salvation.

We work. We are to do good. These are good things to affirm. We are not passive in salvation. We are called to work and to be witnesses to the world of God's grace and goodness. None of what we do is "from us" or "to earn salvation" but it is good works and it is active. Salvation is a grace given to the faithful yet that does not mean that the faithful are passive objects receiving salvation while doing nothing.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The problem is when the Bible is disrespected by being MISused....

As when Law and Gospel are confused, mixed, watered-down....
As when the Law is thrown around but never applied to SELF....
As when the Bible is subjected to the opinions of a single, individual person, sect, cult, denomination...
As when the Bible's words are said to be irrelevant, it's what the Bible MEANS (and only self alone knows what that is)
As when the Bible's words are spun so as to promote the power, authority, control, unaccountability, lordship of self (person, cult, sect, denomination)
As when the Bible's words are twisted so as to undermine the chief article of Christianity: Christ is the Savior (thus not self - not a bit, not ever, not at all).

Pax Christi

- Josiah

Josiah said:
WHO is the SAVIOR?

IF you answer "Jesus" then Jesus is the Savior. Not you - not a bit, not at all, not now, not ever, not in any way or shape or form or manner. Salvation is entirely, wholly wrapped up in Jesus. It's entirely HIS work. HIS heart. HIS love. HIS mercy. HIS gift. HIS blessing. His life, His death, His resurrection. His Cross, His blood, His sacrifice. His righteousness, His obedience, His holiness. Not you. Not yours. You may have some other role in some other matter, but not this. The "job" of Savior belongs to Jesus. Not you.

IF you answer "ME!" then you are the Savior. Not Jesus. Not a bit, not at all. Not now, not ever. Not in any way, shape or form or manner. Salvation is all wrapped up in YOU. YOUR works. YOUR will. YOUR love. YOUR efforts. YOUR merits. YOUR obedience. YOUR righteousness. YOUR holiness. YOUR sacrifice. Not Jesus. Not Jesus'. Jesus may have some other role in some other matter, just not this one. The Savior is you.

Which is it? Try answering that. If you give the Christian answer, there is no need to mix Law and Gospel or sanctification with justification (narrow), no need to disrespect Scripture that insisting the words don't mean what they are but mean something else that only self exclusively knows, no need to throw the Law at everyone else but never self, no need to water down the Gospel until it jibes with Hinduism or modern Judaism, no need to make self as big as possible and Jesus as irrelevant as possible, no need to glorify and empower self (person, sect, cult, denomination) and make self the Voice of God rather than
Scripture.

Last edited:

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
We work. We are to do good. These are good things to affirm. We are not passive in salvation. We are called to work and to be witnesses to the world of God's grace and goodness. None of what we do is "from us" or "to earn salvation" but it is good works and it is active. Salvation is a grace given to the faithful yet that does not mean that the faithful are passive objects receiving salvation while doing nothing.

What percentage do you contribute to your salvation?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Jesus and the bible teach that we must obey and do, do you not agree? If not then why? Do you think that Jesus said this in vain? to love me is to obey me?

Top Bottom