Catholic Only Information for the curious and the wise.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Do you sometimes wonder what Catholics teach but have never asked a Catholic? Have you head rumours or sermons about Catholic beliefs delivered by somebody who despises them or is indifferent about them? Well here is the place to get real answers from real Catholics about what Catholics actually do believe rather than what we're rumoured to believe ...

First some preliminary links, so you can equip yourself with information straight from the source, the Vatican City and the Pope and all the folk who write web pages for him :)

First there is the Catechism of the Catholic Church (abbreviated as CCC) I'll give two links one to the Vatican CCC pages and one to the United Sates Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) web site for the CCC. They present the same catechism but in slightly different forms and the USCCB one has the glossary included while the Vatican one doesn't.

I hope you make good use of the CCC. Use it to check what Catholics teach before you get all worked up about some rumour that says we worship Mary or are Idolaters or that the Pope thinks he is Jesus Christ etcetera, those claims are very silly distortions or completely made up inventions that some people propagate, like Jack Chick comics and sermons by John Macarthur and some other famous folk like James White - though to be fair he doesn't say those exact things but he does say a number of things that are just not true and here with the CCC you can check what is claimed and see the context as well as ask us what we say before you decide that we're all hell bound idolaters or whatever :p

There's also a compendium for the CCC which is shorter and set up in question & answer form, for a quick reference is it excellent.

Compendium of the Catechism of the Catholic Church at the Vatican web site

Happy reading and, please, feel free to ask questions in here, but be careful not to tell us what we believe as if you knew better than we do, we are, after all, Catholics and know our own faith better than somebody who isn't a Catholic and has an agenda to prove how wicked we are ...

Tallguy88

Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I have a copy of the Compendium. It's more user friendly for the novice than the full Catechism.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
The following post contains links to sources for Catholic teaching, those who want to know what the Catholic Church teaches can use the links to find out.

Do you sometimes wonder what Catholics teach but have never asked a Catholic? Have you head rumours or sermons about Catholic beliefs delivered by somebody who despises them or is indifferent about them? Well here is the place to get real answers from real Catholics about what Catholics actually do believe rather than what we're rumoured to believe ...

First some preliminary links, so you can equip yourself with information straight from the source, the Vatican City and the Pope and all the folk who write web pages for him :)

First there is the Catechism of the Catholic Church (abbreviated as CCC) I'll give two links one to the Vatican CCC pages and one to the United Sates Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) web site for the CCC. They present the same catechism but in slightly different forms and the USCCB one has the glossary included while the Vatican one doesn't.

I hope you make good use of the CCC. Use it to check what Catholics teach before you get all worked up about some rumour that says we worship Mary or are Idolaters or that the Pope thinks he is Jesus Christ etcetera, those claims are very silly distortions or completely made up inventions that some people propagate, like Jack Chick comics and sermons by John Macarthur and some other famous folk like James White - though to be fair he doesn't say those exact things but he does say a number of things that are just not true and here with the CCC you can check what is claimed and see the context as well as ask us what we say before you decide that we're all hell bound idolaters or whatever :p

There's also a compendium for the CCC which is shorter and set up in question & answer form, for a quick reference is it excellent.

Compendium of the Catechism of the Catholic Church at the Vatican web site

Happy reading and, please, feel free to ask questions in here, but be careful not to tell us what we believe as if you knew better than we do, we are, after all, Catholics and know our own faith better than somebody who isn't a Catholic and has an agenda to prove how wicked we are ...

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Hi MC :) I was wondering where I might find out more about Easter Catholics, particularly Maronite. Like I know they are able to marry. Plus I think they may have some other things in common with the Orthodox even though the Maronites are in full communion with Rome. Any help would be appreciated.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Hi MC :) I was wondering where I might find out more about Easter Catholics, particularly Maronite. Like I know they are able to marry. Plus I think they may have some other things in common with the Orthodox even though the Maronites are in full communion with Rome. Any help would be appreciated.

In the documents of Vatican II there's a decree concerning eastern Catholics; it might be helpful. I am sure that the Maronites also have their own web pages where you might find some good explanations of their traditions. Their beliefs are the same as those of Roman Rite Catholics but may be expressed somewhat differently. The CCC will also be helpful. Below are some links:

decree on the catholic churches of the eastern rite
About the Maronite Rite
IMG_1300.png

Top Bottom