borris83

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
This is regarding repentance as mentioned in Matthew 3:2

And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

I think repentance is loosely translated from Greek and often misunderstood.. The word comes from the Greek word Metanoia, which simply means turning your mind inward.. Here is a more convincing material that explains this: https://nellaishanmugam.wordpress.com/2017/01/30/repentance-and-metanoia-a-bible-question/

What do you think?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Repentance is a gift from God (2 Timothy 2:25) in that He causes us to turn to Him. Since we have the Holy Spirit in us, we aren't alone.

Acts 5:31 God exalted Him to His right hand as Prince and Savior, in order to grant repentance and forgiveness of sins to Israel.
Acts 11:18 When they heard this, their objections were put to rest, and they glorified God, saying, “So then, God has granted even the Gentiles repentance unto life.”

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

I think repentance is loosely translated from Greek and often misunderstood.. The word comes from the Greek word Metanoia, which simply means turning your mind inward.. Here is a more convincing material that explains this: https://nellaishanmugam.wordpress.com/2017/01/30/repentance-and-metanoia-a-bible-question/

What do you think?

The Church teaches that repentance is (1) sorrow of the soul and detestation for the sin committed, together with the resolution not to sin again (2) confession of your sins primarily to God but also to those who your sins have harmed (3) making amends for the wrong you've done to the people that you wronged.

Brighten04

Religious Affiliation
Protestant
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married

What do you think?

I agree with Lam and with the scriptures she posted.

Sword7

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I agree with Lam and with the scriptures she posted.
Granted repentance.
-since the word is indeed metanoia. And means ro turn ones mind (to change your mind)
Then the phrase dimply means what it said.
God granted the gentiles the Same oppurtunity to repent .

And none are saved without doing it.uf we dont change our mind agree with God and go His way (not our own way) we will not be saved. There is no escaping it.
If a person gives lip service but does not change thier mind about sin they do and so stop doing it.they cannot inherit the kibgdom of heaven.

Since God so graciously grants us repentance how foolish we would be to not live in it .

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
It's not God just granting an opportunity. God actually turns us. Who got the credit whenever the Israelites returned in repentance to faith? They praised God, not themselves.

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
It's also changing your mind. The unrighteous man leave his thoughts is a text freely translated from Dutch to English. But without real Godly sorrow you don't change your mind and only change your mind sounds so cheap, like you just killed someone, oops sorry changed my mind, won't kill the next.

Wilhemena

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I have seen pictures of butterflies as symbolism for Christian metanoia since a transformation is taking place within and if we are the ones being transformed how can it be by sure will on our part if not carried through by the almighty immortal God? Our minds are influenced by the Lord, are they not, for we are the people of his pasture and the sheep hear his word and follow.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Repentance need not be made complicated nor ought it to be simplified until it misses the mark set in the holy scriptures and the teaching of the Church. When one repents one has godly sorrow [SUP]2Cor 7:10[/SUP] and one ought to at least desire to sin no more [SUP]John 8:11[/SUP] and one ought make amends to any that you have harmed [SUP]Matt 18:15-20; [/SUP].

The essential elements of repentance are these
  • (1) the acts of the person who comes to repentance through the action of the Holy Spirit these acts are
    • godly sorrow for sins and
    • confession to God (either privately or with a priest acting as God's minister),
  • (2) and absolution given in the name of Christ which grants forgiveness and shows the way of making reparation to God and to those harmed by the person's sins. When it is motivated by love of God godly sorrow works repentance (as the scripture says).

The Lord's prayer gives the pattern and some advice about repentance.
And when you pray, you should not be like the hypocrites, who love standing in the synagogues and at the corners of the streets to pray, so that they may be seen by men. Amen I say to you, they have received their reward. But you, when you pray, enter into your room, and having shut the door, pray to your Father in secret, and your Father, who sees in secret, will repay you. And when praying, do not choose many words, as the pagans do. For they think that by their excess of words they might be heeded. Therefore, do not choose to imitate them. For your Father knows what your needs may be, even before you ask him. Therefore, you shall pray in this way:
Our Father, who is in heaven:
May your name be kept holy.
May your kingdom come.
May your will be done, as in heaven, so also on earth.
Give us this day our life-sustaining bread.
And forgive us our debts, as we also forgive our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation.
But free us from evil.
Amen.​
For if you will forgive men their sins, your heavenly Father also will forgive you your offences. But if you will not forgive men, neither will your Father forgive you your sins.
[SUP]Matthew 6:5-15[/SUP]​

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Repentance is a gift from God (2 Timothy 2:25) in that He causes us to turn to Him. Since we have the Holy Spirit in us, we aren't alone.

Acts 5:31 God exalted Him to His right hand as Prince and Savior, in order to grant repentance and forgiveness of sins to Israel.
Acts 11:18 When they heard this, their objections were put to rest, and they glorified God, saying, “So then, God has granted even the Gentiles repentance unto life.”

Amen!

While "repent" CAN mean just to feel sorry, I don't think that's the significant meaning. Heck, dogs can feel sorry! The repentance that counts... the repentance that is the gift of God.... is repentance in the full sense of turn around, an about race. Such repentance INCLUDES turning to Christ for forgiveness, receiving His power and Holy Spirit. That only happens where the gift of faith is present. It is faith in Christ that makes "repent" more than what the Pug feels when he peed on the carpet.

- Josiah

Brighten04

Religious Affiliation
Protestant
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
You know, people keep saying that it is we who have to leave our sin as if we have power to do so.This is why so many "Christians" fail and backslide. God gave us the law to show us that we are incapable of not sinning. So how are we saved? First we have to understand that we are not saved by not sinning. Then we understand that the blood that Jesus shed on Calvary is what cleanses us of all sin. It is a supernatural act performed by God, not an act of the will of man. The Bible tells us to confess our sins.

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

According to this verse what is our part in this? The answer is we confess our sins. What is God's part according to this verse? The answer according to this verse is HE forgives and HE cleanses us of all unrighteousness. It is not something we do. If a person sins, Jesus is there.
1 John 2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

What if we sin again? Jesus is there to say," I got that covered". But our job is owning up to it and not hiding it as some folks tend to do. Jesus knows our every weakness.

Sword7

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
You know, people keep saying that it is we who have to leave our sin as if we have power to do so.This is why so many "Christians" fail and backslide. God gave us the law to show us that we are incapable of not sinning. So how are we saved? First we have to understand that we are not saved by not sinning. Then we understand that the blood that Jesus shed on Calvary is what cleanses us of all sin. It is a supernatural act performed by God, not an act of the will of man. The Bible tells us to confess our sins.

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

According to this verse what is our part in this? The answer is we confess our sins. What is God's part according to this verse? The answer according to this verse is HE forgives and HE cleanses us of all unrighteousness. It is not something we do. If a person sins, Jesus is there.
1 John 2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

What if we sin again? Jesus is there to say," I got that covered". But our job is owning up to it and not hiding it as some folks tend to do. Jesus knows our every weakness.

And gives us power to overcome from hencforth making us more then overcomers.
If we do not believe he does in us what he promises.then we are belivers by confession only and unbelievers in our hearts.
Faith is to behave as if we actually believe his word is true.
Your suggesting he saves us, then leaves us powerless and robotic.

Sorry .that is not the truth.
No where in scripture does it say that those made new in christ remain slaves to flesh and sin.
He Fully FULLY gives us the power the authority to overcome once we have become his sons.we begin to behave like his sons.

If this change doent occur.it is because the individual does not will it to. They dont want to stop thier sin. What you call failing is just evidence they dont truley believe in the first place. There was no heart repentance,no forsaking thier OWN lives,no death to self ,no cross.

As Jesus says. Depart from me you worker (doer) of iniquity,i do not know you.
It is written in Johns epistle that those who continue to DO sin (an act of thier will) do not know God.
As usual all scripture agrees.

We either agree also or remain at enmity.
And i like your last question.
What IF, not when. The messed up exception..not the contiuence of.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
And yet, there's that Old Adam still in our flesh along with the New Adam. If we forget we have the Old Adam or ignore him we deceive ourselves thinking we no longer are sinning at all.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
It is the repentant sinner who has to come to God in repentance [SUP]John 6:35[/SUP]. Nobody else can do it. Yet everything that a man or a woman has is from God including their ability to come to God in repentance [SUP]John 6:37[/SUP]. It is not as if there is a separation between what one wants and what God enables [SUP]Php 2:12-13[/SUP]. The truth is that there is nothing you can do that was not given to you as a gift from God [SUP]Acts 17:28[/SUP]. Nevertheless you are called by God to do good works [SUP]Rom 1:7[/SUP]. You do the good works [SUP]James 4:17[/SUP]. Nobody else can.

Brighten04

Religious Affiliation
Protestant
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
And gives us power to overcome from hencforth making us more then overcomers.
If we do not believe he does in us what he promises.then we are belivers by confession only and unbelievers in our hearts.
Faith is to behave as if we actually believe his word is true.
Your suggesting he saves us, then leaves us powerless and robotic.

Sorry .that is not the truth.
No where in scripture does it say that those made new in christ remain slaves to flesh and sin.
He Fully FULLY gives us the power the authority to overcome once we have become his sons.we begin to behave like his sons.

If this change doent occur.it is because the individual does not will it to. They dont want to stop thier sin. What you call failing is just evidence they dont truley believe in the first place. There was no heart repentance,no forsaking thier OWN lives,no death to self ,no cross.

As Jesus says. Depart from me you worker (doer) of iniquity,i do not know you.
It is written in Johns epistle that those who continue to DO sin (an act of thier will) do not know God.
As usual all scripture agrees.

We either agree also or remain at enmity.
And i like your last question.
What IF, not when. The messed up exception..not the contiuence of.

What part of cleansing don't you understand? The righteousness we receive is NOT our own goodness and obedience bu is His imputed righteousness. What you promote is works righteousness which is as filthy rags in God's eyes. Jesus said

Matt. 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Wow! He said MANY will do this. Works righteousness just does not cut it. Sins have to be cleansed. One have to be washed in the blood of the Lamb. One has to become new., born again. Confession is so much more than saying "I am a Christian." if that is what you mean by confession only. You can promote all of your self righteousness before men and still miss the mark. Understand please brother, It is NOT about you. It IS all about Jesus. Jesus declared "It is finished. " Well, it is.
He took the law to the cross with Him.
Col. 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

Sin? Blotted out.Erased, Obliterated,gone. Only by His blood. Not of works. Now if you are saved, you do good works. But, your good works do not save you, nor do they keep you saved. It is Lord Jesus...Hallelujah! That keeps us.

Jude 24 Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,

Yeah! He can do all of that.:arms: :arms:

Last edited:

Sword7

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
What part of cleansing don't you understand? The righteousness we receive is NOT our own goodness and obedience bu is His imputed righteousness. What you promote is works righteousness which is as filthy rags in God's eyes. Jesus said

Matt. 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Wow! He said MANY will do this. Works righteousness just does not cut it. Sins have to be cleansed. One have to be washed in the blood of the Lamb. One has to become new., born again. Confession is so much more than saying "I am a Christian." if that is what you mean by confession only. You can promote all of your self righteousness before men and still miss the mark. Understand please brother, It is NOT about you. It IS all about Jesus. Jesus declared "It is finished. " Well, it is.
He took the law to the cross with Him.
Col. 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

Sin? Blotted out.Erased, Obliterated,gone. Only by His blood. Not of works. Now if you are saved, you do good works. But, your good works do not save you, nor do they keep you saved. It is Lord Jesus...Hallelujah! That keeps us.

Jude 24 Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,

Yeah! He can do all of that.:arms: :arms:

He can and does.
Should we then,after the fact, go and purposely do righteousness or sin ?
He has freed us he has given us victory .
Shall we now continue to live as if we are conquered or as conquerors ?

Why do people say.
"Jesus set me "free and then act as if they are a slave to sin ,keep doing it,don't go and do what he says And them blame it on something else (ie refuse to be honest about anything)

Add.why on earth do you assume I speak of you?

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
So you don't believe Jesus has set you free .

Well.obviously .you've just said so.
So we have Catholics who continue to disobey God.
And We have Lutherans who say they are saved but don't believe Jesus set them free but rather that they remain slaves
To sin .
And a couple of evangelicals some who refuse to be honest and some who are being indoctrinated by the company they keep.

You should rename the forum haven for false believers. Hearers of the word but not doers.

I will leave you to it. This is no haven this is a false back patting club.

Why don't you look at yourself? You're accusing everyone. The devil accuses. Don't become his coworker. If God set you free and you don't sin anymore praise God, share your testimony, disciple others so they can become overcomers too. The babies haven't overcome the evil one. The mature sons have.
Accusing people is also sin. Let's all watch out for ourselves that He searches our heart and we don't fall if we believe we're standing.

Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness, considering yourself lest you also be tempted. 2 Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. 3 For if anyone thinks himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceives himself. 4 But let each one examine his own work, and then he will have rejoicing in himself alone, and not in another. 5 For each one shall bear his own load.

http://www.cfcindia.com/article/guilttrip-preaching

Last edited:

Brighten04

Religious Affiliation
Protestant
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Should we then,after the fact, go and purposely do righteousness or sin ?

Right believing produces right actions. When Lord Jesus cleanses us, the desire to sin leaves us (at least this is my experience). You have been newly born, so you are like a new born baby. You don't know how to walk in the righteousness that has been imputed to you because you have been trained in the ways of the world and worldly habits (sin) have been engraved onto your soul. Jesus know this. That is why we assemble so the babies(in Christ) can learn to first crawl in their faith, then,they learn to walk, then they learn to run. But initially, when they are first born again, they need pure milk of the word. You don't beat a baby because they mess in their diaper! NO!You clean him again and again for a few years until he learns to not not soil his pants. But what happens a lot of times is people come to Jesus believing that Jesus saved them, they get into a church with condemning folks who then place the responsibility of keeping themselves saved on the baby Christian's shoulder. They do not learn that He who began a good work in them will be faithful to complete it in them ( Phil. 1:6 ). They learn the law and condemnation,and works and self righteousness. When they soil their pants, they get beat up and told they lost their salvation because they sinned, which is a lie. But they believe it and the devil takes that opportunity to load them down with guilt and shame, and worthlessness. They don't know that the self righteous person who beat them and who told them that they lost their salvation is more lost than they are. Why is that? The baby Christian know that they have sinned and feels guilt,but the self righteous person denies that they have sinned and is living in strong delusion and self deception that he does not sin.

Jesus taught the disciples about this because He knew that walking in the world that they would soil themselves. But I have observed that a lot of Christians do not understand this Look at the story of Jesus washing the disciples feet. I can imagine Him laughing at their lack of understanding. He explained that if they have had a bath, they only need to wash their feet. I would say it this way. The baby is clean, he just need his diaper changed. :rotfl:

Add.why on earth do you assume I speak of you?

Oh, I know whose I am ! I know you could not be speaking of me! I am in Christ. I belong to Him, He is my Master and Lord. I am a blood bought child of God, signed, sealed, and delivered.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
So you don't believe Jesus has set you free .

Sword,

Please. Could you have someone who knows you well - spouse, parent, close friend - someone who knows you VERY well. Any one of them - your choice. Then ask if they would kindly post there: testify that you are always perfect to the same extent as God is, always holy to the same extent that God is, that you love in the same way and to the same extent that Christ did on the Cross, that you have the same attitude as Christ does, that you always forgive others. Just will post that yes - you always do all of that. You say you have been "set free" from anything that would mean otherwise, so you must always do all God calls you to do.

Could we get someone to post here who will testify of that? Otherwise all we have is someone on the internet who claims to be infinitely holier than SAINT Paul who said he was the FOREMOST, CHIEF of all sinners, who said he DOES fall short, missing the mark (sin), we have one internet person (we know nothing of you in "real life") who claims the Bible isn't exactly right when it says "for all sin" cuz you are "free" and don't. We'll get nowhere with your extremely remarkable claims if you don't produce SOMETHING to give evidence of such. Maybe your wife could post, "Yup, he has the identical character, life, morality and holiness of God - never falls short of anything God calls us, ALWAYS fully "hits" it all perfectly (24/7). Okay?

Thanks!

- Josiah

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
Corrie ten Boom once met a man who said he didn't sin.
She said: you must be very proud of that. He said: yes I am. Ah, she said, then I did find one lolz.

Top Bottom