• Piratey
  • Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Ethics & Debate Center - Thread: Has Science Gone Too Far ?

MoreCoffee is offline Gold Member
      Girding loins for the battle.

Mood:
      Awesome

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      52.56%
      Quote Originally Posted by Brighten04 View Post
      Bacon goes in and then comes out. I was thinking of someone with an organ that had animal DNA mixed with human DNA.
      I think that some people have had heart valves and similar tissue transplanted from animals including pigs. It is said to be life saving.

2. Likes Brighten04 liked this post
      Brighten04 is offline Veteran Member
      Mood:
      ----

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      51.49%
      Quote Originally Posted by MoreCoffee View Post
      I think that some people have had heart valves and similar tissue transplanted from animals including pigs. It is said to be life saving.

Yes I know. But, is it ethical? Do you think God is pleased with that?

Stravinsk is offline Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
      Widow/Widower
      Mood:
      Cool

Country
      Australia
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (14,625 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      97.46%
      Do you believe scientists have gone too far with creating hybrid creatures?
      http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20170...nimal-chimeras
      From the article
      They have already gone too far in a number of areas. But in 20 or 30 years, through mass indoctrination and popular fiction entertainment, it will just be accepted as normal,

just like most people accept that they live on a spinning marble rocketing through space. It's never questioned, because "everyone knows".

Btw - Leviticus 19:19, 20:15-16

It is impossible to produce offspring mating 2 different kinds of animals or man with animal in the normal fashion, so the hearer of this message would have understood that message to be a prohibition and warning against gross perversity. At least insofar as sexuality goes. Leviticus 19:19 also includes not planting 2 different kinds of seed in the same field or wearing 2 different kinds of cloth. That is not something I understand.

In any case - what the scientists are attempting to do they aren't doing for the benefit of humanity. They are doing it *because they can* - remember - mainstream science accepts a model of the world where we all came from space dust and a whole bunch of nothing exploding into an ever expanding universe. Given this view - what is man? How can he be made in God's image?

5. Likes Brighten04 liked this post
      MoreCoffee is offline Gold Member
      Girding loins for the battle.

Mood:
      Awesome

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      52.56%
      Yes I know. But, is it ethical? Do you think God is pleased with that?
      It happened but I do not know if God likes it or not. Saving a life has great value said the Lord when he spoke about the lost sheep.

Mood:
      ----

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      51.49%
      Quote Originally Posted by Stravinsk View Post
      They have already gone too far in a number of areas. But in 20 or 30 years, through mass indoctrination and popular fiction entertainment, it will just be accepted as normal,

just like most people accept that they live on a spinning marble rocketing through space. It's never questioned, because "everyone knows".

Btw - Leviticus 19:19, 20:15-16

It is impossible to produce offspring mating 2 different kinds of animals or man with animal in the normal fashion, so the hearer of this message would have understood that message to be a prohibition and warning against gross perversity. At least insofar as sexuality goes. Leviticus 19:19 also includes not planting 2 different kinds of seed in the same field or wearing 2 different kinds of cloth. That is not something I understand.

In any case - what the scientists are attempting to do they aren't doing for the benefit of humanity. They are doing it *because they can* - remember - mainstream science accepts a model of the world where we all came from space dust and a whole bunch of nothing exploding into an ever expanding universe. Given this view - what is man? How can he be made in God's image?
      True. The prohibition placed on mixing kinds is God's way of protecting the purity of species. Before the flood, everything was created good. But, by the time that Noah entered the ark, there were clean and unclean animals. Things were corrupt.Even mankind had been corrupted in their generation Gen. 6 . Only Noah was perfect in his generation. Lord Jesus said that when He returns in will be as it was in Noah's day.

psalms 91 is online now Silver Member
      Supporting Member
      Mood:
      Happy

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (2,358,514 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      98.06%
      True. The prohibition placed on mixing kinds is God's way of protecting the purity of species. Before the flood, everything was created good. But, by the time that Noah entered the ark, there were clean and unclean animals. Things were corrupt.Even mankind had been corrupted in their generation Gen. 6 . Only Noah was perfect in his generation. Lord Jesus said that when He returns in will be as it was in Noah's day.
      I have no doubt thta it is fast approaching that
      Isaiah 40:31

9. Likes Brighten04 liked this post
      Mood:
      ----

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      51.49%
      Quote Originally Posted by MoreCoffee View Post
      It happened but I do not know if God likes it or not. Saving a life has great value said the Lord when he spoke about the lost sheep.
      Saving life not corrupting life.

Mood:
      ----

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      51.49%
      Quote Originally Posted by psalms 91 View Post
      I have no doubt thta it is fast approaching that
      No it has already gotten to be that.

Josiah is offline Bronze Member
      Supporting Member
      Married
      Mood:
      Happy

Country
      United States
      CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      0.81%
      DISCLAIMER: My degree is NOT in biology (not in ANY aspect of it). I can only express OPINIONS of a largely uninformed layperson.

Science is a quest to understand a certain aspect of reality. In order to achieve that, it must be unbridled so that all is "on the table" and above all, it must be humble - appreciating how little it knows and that what it thinks it knows it probably doesn't ("I could well be wrong" is necessarily in order to learn what is right). It must appreciate what it is ASSUMING and the "worldview" or bias in which it "sees" things for learning and discovery to happen.

If learning happens, stuff gets discovered and understood.

Because 100% of human beings are sinful, it is an UNAVOIDABLE reality that some will try to use this new knowledge for evil, wrong. No scientist can prevent this.... no politician can prevent this. Religion, morality - they impact everything.

It IS possible - collectively - to minimize at least the USE of such evil applications. For 70 years, there have been TENS of THOUSANDS of nuclear bombs - in some cases each able to kill millions of people and collectively able to kill all human beings on the planet many times over. So far at least, it hasn't happened - even know the evil use of some discoveries were not only known but implemented - just not used. During World War Two, all sides had extensive stockpiles of chemical weapons, and it was 100% expected that such would be used. As desperate as some nations were in that war at least at times, NO ONE used them. I wouldn't take TOO much comfort in this (two atomic bombs WERE used..... some chemical weapons were used by third-world nations, even against their own people - the "box" was not completely, always closed) but it does show that sinful, fallen man CAN act a bit responsibly.... just because it we CAN has not always meant we DO. Again, don't take this TOO firmly.

As far as biological issues, people have been modifying Mother Nature for thousands of years. Many of the animals, fruits, vegies, grains etc. do not appear in nature.... PEOPLE modified things that do in order to come up with things we find more useful. Native Americans developing corn (Maze) is one of the most dramatic examples of this. If one is morally opposed to modifying nature - you better get rid of your pet and eliminate nearly all you eat. While Mary Shelly gave us a sound warning, the modification of DNA is not dangerous PER SE - it can actually be very beneficial. I even suspect that these protestors - if told their Downs Syndrome child could be "corrected" or the cancer they have be "cured" - they'd celebrate all this.

The issue, IMO, is not so much in trying to hinder understanding but in realizing the importance of MORALITY - an issue about which scientists are no better than you or me.

- Josiah
      We are justified by works - just not our own.

Mood:
      ----

CH Cash
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      51.49%
      Quote Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
      DISCLAIMER: My degree is NOT in biology (not in ANY aspect of it). I can only express OPINIONS of a largely uninformed layperson.

Science is a quest to understand a certain aspect of reality. In order to achieve that, it must be unbridled so that all is "on the table" and above all, it must be humble - appreciating how little it knows and that what it thinks it knows it probably doesn't ("I could well be wrong" is necessarily in order to learn what is right). It must appreciate what it is ASSUMING and the "worldview" or bias in which it "sees" things for learning and discovery to happen.

If learning happens, stuff gets discovered and understood.

Because 100% of human beings are sinful, it is an UNAVOIDABLE reality that some will try to use this new knowledge for evil, wrong. No scientist can prevent this.... no politician can prevent this. Religion, morality - they impact everything.

It IS possible - collectively - to minimize at least the USE of such evil applications. For 70 years, there have been TENS of THOUSANDS of nuclear bombs - in some cases each able to kill millions of people and collectively able to kill all human beings on the planet many times over. So far at least, it hasn't happened - even know the evil use of some discoveries were not only known but implemented - just not used. During World War Two, all sides had extensive stockpiles of chemical weapons, and it was 100% expected that such would be used. As desperate as some nations were in that war at least at times, NO ONE used them. I wouldn't take TOO much comfort in this (two atomic bombs WERE used..... some chemical weapons were used by third-world nations, even against their own people - the "box" was not completely, always closed) but it does show that sinful, fallen man CAN act a bit responsibly.... just because it we CAN has not always meant we DO. Again, don't take this TOO firmly.

As far as biological issues, people have been modifying Mother Nature for thousands of years. Many of the animals, fruits, vegies, grains etc. do not appear in nature.... PEOPLE modified things that do in order to come up with things we find more useful. Native Americans developing corn (Maze) is one of the most dramatic examples of this. If one is morally opposed to modifying nature - you better get rid of your pet and eliminate nearly all you eat. While Mary Shelly gave us a sound warning, the modification of DNA is not dangerous PER SE - it can actually be very beneficial. I even suspect that these protestors - if told their Downs Syndrome child could be "corrected" or the cancer they have be "cured" - they'd celebrate all this.

The issue, IMO, is not so much in trying to hinder understanding but in realizing the importance of MORALITY - an issue about which scientists are no better than you or me.

- Josiah
      Yes, yes, we know that science has been corrupting God's way for many, many years. People have even taken to body modifications. The question is, since scripture tells us that our bodies are temples for the Holy Spirit, do you think the Holy Spirit will dwell in an body defiled with an unclean animal like a pig or a rodent?