Has Science Gone Too Far ?

Brighten04

Religious Affiliation
Protestant
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Do you believe scientists have gone too far with creating hybrid creatures?
http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20170104-the-birth-of-the-human-animal-chimeras
From the article

The quest to create animals with human organs has a long history – and it is now becoming a reality. Has science taken a step too far?

It is 120 years since Wells first published his novel, and to read some recent headlines you would think that we are veering dangerously close to his dystopic vision. "Frankenstein scientists developing part-human part-animal chimera," exclaimed the UK's Daily Mirror in May 2016. "Science wants to break down the fence between man and beast," the Washington Times declared two months later, fearing that sentient animals would soon be unleashed on the world.

The hope is to implant human stem cells in an animal embryo so that it will grow specific human organs. The approach could, in theory, provide a ready-made replacement for a diseased heart or liver – eliminating the wait for a human donor and reducing the risk of organ rejection.

These bold and controversial plans are the culmination of more than three decades of research. These experiments have helped us understand some of the biggest mysteries of life, delineate the boundaries between species, and explore how a ragbag bunch of cells in the womb coalesce and grow into a living, breathing being.

With new plans to fund the projects, we are now reaching a critical point in this research. "Things are moving very fast in this field today," says Janet Rossant at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto, and one of the early pioneers of chimera research. "It's going to open up a new understanding of biology."

That is, provided we can resolve some knotty ethical issues first – questions that may permanently change our understanding of what it means to be human.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Personally I think so but that could just be my age and my conservative viewpoint

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
As long as the human stem cells are not from killed babies I think it's great. Although it's bad for the animal embryo it saves a lot of cats and rabbits who don't get filthy medicines or perfume in their eyes. And it's great for people who need an organ. Wonder if it works though and has no side effects.

Last edited:

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I'm against this kind of thing. I pulled up a few articles just now that contained comments and one person brought up the point that we are made in God's image. That's very unique. Animals should not be combined with that uniqueness since it wasn't God's intention.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Some animals are very similar to human beings though they do not have exactly the same capabilities. Chimpanzees, Bonobos, even gorillas share a great deal of the same genes in the same places as human beings. But I agree that one ought to have moral misgivings about the wisdom and rightness of pursuing this kind of research.

Brighten04

Religious Affiliation
Protestant
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I am highly against the mixing of species. Our bodies are temples fit for the Holy Spirit to dwell in. I wonder if the Holy Spirit will dwell in a place contaminated by rodents and pigs.:scared:

Brighten04

Religious Affiliation
Protestant
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Do you think the Holy Spirit would dwell in a body that has been contaminated by an unclean animal such as a pig or a rodent?

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Do you think the Holy Spirit would dwell in a body that has been contaminated by an unclean animal such as a pig or a rodent?

Does bacon contaminate? I think bacon is delicious :)

Brighten04

Religious Affiliation
Protestant
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Does bacon contaminate? I think bacon is delicious :)

Bacon goes in and then comes out. I was thinking of someone with an organ that had animal DNA mixed with human DNA.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes, lets not confuse the issue

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Bacon goes in and then comes out. I was thinking of someone with an organ that had animal DNA mixed with human DNA.

I think that some people have had heart valves and similar tissue transplanted from animals including pigs. It is said to be life saving.

Brighten04

Religious Affiliation
Protestant
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I think that some people have had heart valves and similar tissue transplanted from animals including pigs. It is said to be life saving.

Yes I know. But, is it ethical? Do you think God is pleased with that?

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Do you believe scientists have gone too far with creating hybrid creatures?
http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20170104-the-birth-of-the-human-animal-chimeras
From the article

They have already gone too far in a number of areas. But in 20 or 30 years, through mass indoctrination and popular fiction entertainment, it will just be accepted as normal,

just like most people accept that they live on a spinning marble rocketing through space. It's never questioned, because "everyone knows".

Btw - Leviticus 19:19, 20:15-16

It is impossible to produce offspring mating 2 different kinds of animals or man with animal in the normal fashion, so the hearer of this message would have understood that message to be a prohibition and warning against gross perversity. At least insofar as sexuality goes. Leviticus 19:19 also includes not planting 2 different kinds of seed in the same field or wearing 2 different kinds of cloth. That is not something I understand.

In any case - what the scientists are attempting to do they aren't doing for the benefit of humanity. They are doing it *because they can* - remember - mainstream science accepts a model of the world where we all came from space dust and a whole bunch of nothing exploding into an ever expanding universe. Given this view - what is man? How can he be made in God's image?

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Yes I know. But, is it ethical? Do you think God is pleased with that?

It happened but I do not know if God likes it or not. Saving a life has great value said the Lord when he spoke about the lost sheep.

Brighten04

Religious Affiliation
Protestant
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
They have already gone too far in a number of areas. But in 20 or 30 years, through mass indoctrination and popular fiction entertainment, it will just be accepted as normal,

just like most people accept that they live on a spinning marble rocketing through space. It's never questioned, because "everyone knows".

Btw - Leviticus 19:19, 20:15-16

It is impossible to produce offspring mating 2 different kinds of animals or man with animal in the normal fashion, so the hearer of this message would have understood that message to be a prohibition and warning against gross perversity. At least insofar as sexuality goes. Leviticus 19:19 also includes not planting 2 different kinds of seed in the same field or wearing 2 different kinds of cloth. That is not something I understand.

In any case - what the scientists are attempting to do they aren't doing for the benefit of humanity. They are doing it *because they can* - remember - mainstream science accepts a model of the world where we all came from space dust and a whole bunch of nothing exploding into an ever expanding universe. Given this view - what is man? How can he be made in God's image?

True. The prohibition placed on mixing kinds is God's way of protecting the purity of species. Before the flood, everything was created good. But, by the time that Noah entered the ark, there were clean and unclean animals. Things were corrupt.Even mankind had been corrupted in their generation Gen. 6 . Only Noah was perfect in his generation. Lord Jesus said that when He returns in will be as it was in Noah's day.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
True. The prohibition placed on mixing kinds is God's way of protecting the purity of species. Before the flood, everything was created good. But, by the time that Noah entered the ark, there were clean and unclean animals. Things were corrupt.Even mankind had been corrupted in their generation Gen. 6 . Only Noah was perfect in his generation. Lord Jesus said that when He returns in will be as it was in Noah's day.
I have no doubt thta it is fast approaching that

Brighten04

Religious Affiliation
Protestant
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
It happened but I do not know if God likes it or not. Saving a life has great value said the Lord when he spoke about the lost sheep.

Saving life not corrupting life.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
DISCLAIMER: My degree is NOT in biology (not in ANY aspect of it). I can only express OPINIONS of a largely uninformed layperson.

Science is a quest to understand a certain aspect of reality. In order to achieve that, it must be unbridled so that all is "on the table" and above all, it must be humble - appreciating how little it knows and that what it thinks it knows it probably doesn't ("I could well be wrong" is necessarily in order to learn what is right). It must appreciate what it is ASSUMING and the "worldview" or bias in which it "sees" things for learning and discovery to happen.

If learning happens, stuff gets discovered and understood.

Because 100% of human beings are sinful, it is an UNAVOIDABLE reality that some will try to use this new knowledge for evil, wrong. No scientist can prevent this.... no politician can prevent this. Religion, morality - they impact everything.

It IS possible - collectively - to minimize at least the USE of such evil applications. For 70 years, there have been TENS of THOUSANDS of nuclear bombs - in some cases each able to kill millions of people and collectively able to kill all human beings on the planet many times over. So far at least, it hasn't happened - even know the evil use of some discoveries were not only known but implemented - just not used. During World War Two, all sides had extensive stockpiles of chemical weapons, and it was 100% expected that such would be used. As desperate as some nations were in that war at least at times, NO ONE used them. I wouldn't take TOO much comfort in this (two atomic bombs WERE used..... some chemical weapons were used by third-world nations, even against their own people - the "box" was not completely, always closed) but it does show that sinful, fallen man CAN act a bit responsibly.... just because it we CAN has not always meant we DO. Again, don't take this TOO firmly.

As far as biological issues, people have been modifying Mother Nature for thousands of years. Many of the animals, fruits, vegies, grains etc. do not appear in nature.... PEOPLE modified things that do in order to come up with things we find more useful. Native Americans developing corn (Maze) is one of the most dramatic examples of this. If one is morally opposed to modifying nature - you better get rid of your pet and eliminate nearly all you eat. While Mary Shelly gave us a sound warning, the modification of DNA is not dangerous PER SE - it can actually be very beneficial. I even suspect that these protestors - if told their Downs Syndrome child could be "corrected" or the cancer they have be "cured" - they'd celebrate all this.

The issue, IMO, is not so much in trying to hinder understanding but in realizing the importance of MORALITY - an issue about which scientists are no better than you or me.

- Josiah

Brighten04

Religious Affiliation
Protestant
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
DISCLAIMER: My degree is NOT in biology (not in ANY aspect of it). I can only express OPINIONS of a largely uninformed layperson.

Science is a quest to understand a certain aspect of reality. In order to achieve that, it must be unbridled so that all is "on the table" and above all, it must be humble - appreciating how little it knows and that what it thinks it knows it probably doesn't ("I could well be wrong" is necessarily in order to learn what is right). It must appreciate what it is ASSUMING and the "worldview" or bias in which it "sees" things for learning and discovery to happen.

If learning happens, stuff gets discovered and understood.

Because 100% of human beings are sinful, it is an UNAVOIDABLE reality that some will try to use this new knowledge for evil, wrong. No scientist can prevent this.... no politician can prevent this. Religion, morality - they impact everything.

It IS possible - collectively - to minimize at least the USE of such evil applications. For 70 years, there have been TENS of THOUSANDS of nuclear bombs - in some cases each able to kill millions of people and collectively able to kill all human beings on the planet many times over. So far at least, it hasn't happened - even know the evil use of some discoveries were not only known but implemented - just not used. During World War Two, all sides had extensive stockpiles of chemical weapons, and it was 100% expected that such would be used. As desperate as some nations were in that war at least at times, NO ONE used them. I wouldn't take TOO much comfort in this (two atomic bombs WERE used..... some chemical weapons were used by third-world nations, even against their own people - the "box" was not completely, always closed) but it does show that sinful, fallen man CAN act a bit responsibly.... just because it we CAN has not always meant we DO. Again, don't take this TOO firmly.

As far as biological issues, people have been modifying Mother Nature for thousands of years. Many of the animals, fruits, vegies, grains etc. do not appear in nature.... PEOPLE modified things that do in order to come up with things we find more useful. Native Americans developing corn (Maze) is one of the most dramatic examples of this. If one is morally opposed to modifying nature - you better get rid of your pet and eliminate nearly all you eat. While Mary Shelly gave us a sound warning, the modification of DNA is not dangerous PER SE - it can actually be very beneficial. I even suspect that these protestors - if told their Downs Syndrome child could be "corrected" or the cancer they have be "cured" - they'd celebrate all this.

The issue, IMO, is not so much in trying to hinder understanding but in realizing the importance of MORALITY - an issue about which scientists are no better than you or me.

- Josiah

Yes, yes, we know that science has been corrupting God's way for many, many years. People have even taken to body modifications. The question is, since scripture tells us that our bodies are temples for the Holy Spirit, do you think the Holy Spirit will dwell in an body defiled with an unclean animal like a pig or a rodent?

Top Bottom