La Villa Strangiato
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
In Relationship
Your senses are likely not acute enough to notice an approximate change in weight of about 0.5% (more at the poles by the way). Dizziness is caused by angular speed...if you got on a merry-go-round rotating at 1 revolution per day, even if it has a radius equal to that of the Earth, do you think you would feel dizzy riding it?

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
On a cosmological scale the Earth can be approximated as a sphere. Indeed, if you consider the deepest depths of the Mariana Trench, and the heights of Everest, we are only looking at ~20km of vertical variation on a planet with a radius of 6371km. That's pretty smooth.

However, as well as this relatively low surface roughness there is also the deformation of the planet itself. There's a few effects here. Firstly, there's a fattening at the equator due to the earth's spin. Like a dancers skirt flies out as she spins, so the earth's middle is a little wider than it otherwise would be. This is why the earth can be described as an oblate spheroid - although bear in mind this image is hugely exaggerated. Now, in reality if we measure the minimum radius at poles and the maximum radius at equator we find they each have values of 6,357 km and 6,378 km respectively. So about the same magnitude as the surface roughness.

Secondly, there is the fact that the Earth is geologically heterogeneous. That means that some areas are denser than others, meaning a variable gravitational field, meaning that some areas are held in a little more tightly. This results in a more complex shape we refer to as the 'Geoid' (again hugely exaggerated). This is where the pear reference comes in (it's a bit longer at the North pole, and the South pole has a dimple)

Now, I want to you notice the scale on that last image. We are looking at vertical deviations of up to 80 m from the mean. On the basis of a 6371 km radius, that is a deviation from normal of about 0.001%

Funny, all those NASA pictures dating back to the 70's don't show an *oblate* sphere - they show a perfect sphere. But maybe in 40 or so years time the earth has fattened up a bit? :xD: What say you, is that what you expect to see next? Maybe Neil Degrasse Tyson will get his prediction right and we'll see a pear shaped earth?

But oh wait - Nasa has already admitted that they use COMPOSITES to get those photos of the earth. With all the Satellites that are supposedly up there - why not just take a photo? Wait - they've sent rovers to Mars! Surely a good shot of the *oblate spheroid" can be beamed back to us? Wait - I mean pear shaped earth. Will these new "photos" of earth feature the right size continents or will they change like they have in the past?

This is my thread, Mark. Please answer the points in the videos I posted or my link to Dubay's work if you want to stay on topic. You don't look any more intelligent than you want to sound ignoring the OP and follow up video and link - then carrying on about measuring radius and postulating about earth shape when you refuse to even look at material I have posted.

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
And if you zoom in with a high powered camera or binoculars, it all comes back.

Could have saved you the time if you had only watched the 2nd video I posted.

But I guess ignorance is bliss.

I saw that, but that was a ship they saw. They use photo's from flat earthers which they say prove that the earth is flat, but you can't see the streets and the bottom of the building, so they say their own photo's prove it's round.

Oh okay they have an explanation for that:

https://youtu.be/aZZzxSpxSCI

Last edited:

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
In Relationship
Funny, all those NASA pictures dating back to the 70's don't show an *oblate* sphere - they show a perfect sphere...

Our eyes cannot see in such images the tiny relative differences involved. If you think the "oblateness" of the Earth should be noticeable in a photo of the Earth taken from space, then you are grossly exaggerating how much you think there is said to be.

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
Can they explain the shadows too and the different constellations and that if the sun would be in one spot you should still see it in the dark place on a flat earth?

fieldofview12.jpg

fieldofview32.jpg

timezones22.jpg

Stravinsk

Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
I saw that, but that was a ship they saw. They use photo's from flat earthers which they say prove that the earth is flat, but you can't see the streets and the bottom of the building, so they say their own photo's prove it's round. But I didn't post that video, the guy who said it wasn't really respectful and he cursed.

You posted a photo of a still with an inset image showing the building as it would have been had our perspective not been reduced by distance.

The 2nd Video in this thread (which Mark has refused to consider, along with everything else I originally posted) - shows a video - not a still - where you can clearly see that a boat going over the supposed curvature is not doing that at all. *Curvature* doesn't make the boat seem to sink in the distance - our *perspective* and how far we are able to see does. This was clearly shown by simply zooming the camera and what happens? Sinking boat is now fully visible again. Proving that our inability to see it and the sinking effect is NOT due to an earth curvature at all - because if it was - then it wouldn't matter how far we zoomed in - because water would be in the way due to the supposed curve.

Edit: Even more importantly - you can easily test this yourself with a camera that can be zoomed. Next time you go to the beach and see a boat that seems to start sinking below the horizon - simply zoom your camera. You'll see the boat with no water in the way.

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
As a kid when I didn't want to eat my food because my mother couldn't cook, I always thought: let's just dig a huge hole in the ground until I come to Australia. I can throw it in there and they can eat it.
Even if I had succeeded though I'm sure those Australians wouldn't.

Brighten04

Religious Affiliation
Protestant
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
There is one simple way a person can judge whether the earth is flat. Can you travel East and get back to your starting point without turning around?

Psalm 103:12
As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.

Stravinsk

Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
There is one simple way a person can judge whether the earth is flat. Can you travel East and get back to your starting point without turning around?

Psalm 103:12
As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.

Have you tried that personally lately?

You misunderstand the flat earth model. The center is the North pole - which points up to Polaris - or pole star.

Traveling East or West is to travel a circle around magnetic North.

Traveling North leads to North pole, or center.

Traveling South leads to outer edge of circle.

Isaiah 40:22 - He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in.

Very important to realize the word used here. It is not sphere. It is CIRCLE.

There is a Hebrew word for sphere or ball in Isaiah - and it is important to know that because he DID NOT use that word in this verse!

Word for Circle in Hebrew: חוּג - https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=H2329&t=KJV

Word for Ball in Hebrew: דּוּר - https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=H1754&t=KJV

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Your word for "circle" translates as "vault of the heavens", according to your own link. Words have nuances. Are you in the mind of the writer to understand those nuances? Apparently so.

Stravinsk

Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Your word for "circle" translates as "vault of the heavens", according to your own link. Words have nuances. Are you in the mind of the writer to understand those nuances? Apparently so.

Are you implying that the nuance referred to could mean that "circle" could actually mean sphere or ball, or that because there is a secondary definition of "vault of the heavens" - that it implies either a sphere or something we don't know?

Man, if the Hebrews didn't even have a word for the most basic shape in the universe, then we are in trouble!

I know this "circle" argument in Isaiah 40:22 has been used for a long time to "prove" a ball globe - but it seems a bit ridiculous to me especially because the same author of that verse also used a DIFFERENT word when he meant sphere!

Isaiah 22:18 He will surely violently turn and toss thee like a ball H1754 into a large country: there shalt thou die, and there the chariots of thy glory shall be the shame of thy lord's house.

Thirdly,

Bazinga_zps71da37c8.jpg

Your present avatar. Is the person in it surrounded by Balls or Circles and do you think he knows the difference?

Are you suggesting the Hebrews didn't? Seriously?

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
Are you implying that the nuance referred to could mean that "circle" could actually mean sphere or ball, or that because there is a secondary definition of "vault of the heavens" - that it implies either a sphere or something we don't know?

Man, if the Hebrews didn't even have a word for the most basic shape in the universe, then we are in trouble!

I know this "circle" argument in Isaiah 40:22 has been used for a long time to "prove" a ball globe - but it seems a bit ridiculous to me especially because the same author of that verse also used a DIFFERENT word when he meant sphere!

Isaiah 22:18 He will surely violently turn and toss thee like a ball H1754 into a large country: there shalt thou die, and there the chariots of thy glory shall be the shame of thy lord's house.

Thirdly,

Bazinga_zps71da37c8.jpg

Your present avatar. Is the person in it surrounded by Balls or Circles and do you think he knows the difference?

Are you suggesting the Hebrews didn't? Seriously?

What I'm implying is that you don't know the difference between circle and vault because you didn't bother to notice that the ancient Hebrew writers did.

Also, the "circle" reference you referred to wasn't in regards to the shape of the earth, but of the heavens. So I sense you're getting a bit confused. Let me help you understand your own paradigm:

HebrewConceptEarth.jpg

The person in my avatar, btw, is surrounded by balls, obviously; however, they are spherical. Tell him they're flat and you might get this:

vlcsnap-2010-05-26-12h51m34s229.png

Last edited:

Stravinsk

Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
What I'm implying is that you don't know the difference between circle and vault because you didn't bother to notice that the ancient Hebrew writers did.

Also, the "circle" reference you referred to wasn't in regards to the shape of the earth, but of the heavens. So I sense you're getting a bit confused. Let me help you understand your own paradigm:

HebrewConceptEarth.jpg

I'm not getting confused. Why misread the passage? Because it doesn't fit a globe earth model?

Isaiah 40:22 It is he that sitteth upon the circle H2329 of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:

Do people inhabit the heavens, or do they inhabit the earth?

"Vault of the heavens" - what does this mean to you - that the heavens are inside a global earth? That's one I haven't heard before.

See how the globe model necessitates how one reads Scripture? It has to be warped for it to fit.

Circle means circle. Ball means ball. "Circle of the earth" refers to the earth - not the heavens, in that verse.

The person in my avatar, btw, is surrounded by balls, obviously; however, they are spherical. Tell him they're flat and you might get this:

vlcsnap-2010-05-26-12h51m34s229.png

Oh good! I'm glad we are in agreement here. I wouldn't dare call those balls flat discs!

So by extension, it seems plain to me that Isaiah and the Hebrew language also knew the difference between a ball/sphere and a circle - especially when they had a word for ball AND a word for circle!

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Yes
Notice the diagram I gave you? It shows exactly what I've been describing - a "vault" encompassing the "circle" of the earth. Same word, different concepts. Are you sure you understand your own point? It's interesting, but interesting does not mean correct.

As far as 'nuances',if you look into the Hebrew a bit more, what merely means 'circle' to you, implies such things as "Circle, circuit, compass, vault". The root word is 'chûwg' - "To describe a circle, to draw a circle as with a compass".

But if 'circle' works for you, cool...

Last edited:

Stravinsk

Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
4. Shadows and Sticks
If you stick a stick in the (sticky) ground, it will produce a shadow. The shadow moves as time passes (which is the principle for ancient Shadow Clocks). If the world had been flat, then two sticks in different locations would produce the same shadow:
Stick Shadows On A Flat Earth
Moriel Schottlender
Stick Shadows On A Flat Earth
Imagine the Sun's rays (represented by yellow lines) hitting two sticks (white lines) some distance apart. If the Earth were flat, the resulting shadows would be the same length, no matter how far apart you place the sticks.
But they don’t. This is because the earth is round, and not flat:
Stick Shadows On A Round Earth
Moriel Schottlender
Stick Shadows On A Round Earth
Because the Earth is round, sticks placed at distant locations will throw shadows of different lengths.
Eratosthenes (276-194 BCE) used this principle to calculate the circumference of the Earth quite accurately. To see this demonstrated, refer to my experiment video about Eratosthenes and the circumference of the Earth.

http://www.popsci.com/10-ways-you-can-prove-earth-is-round

This argument relies on the assumption that the sun is extremely large and far away. A smaller, closer sun that illuminates locally will absolutely cast different length shadows - on a flat earth.

By the way, it is also not possible that the sun appears to be different sizes to us if it is as huge and far away as the Heliocentric model says:

img_0385.jpg

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
In Relationship
It's not so much the size of the sun, but its great distance that causes the rays of light to be virtually parallel within the scope of the Earth's diameter, a result of basic trigonometry. By the Law Of Cosines, we find that the angle subtended by two rays, each striking opposite ends of the Earth to be:

θ = arccos(1 - 2(r/d)²)

where r is the radius of the Earth and d is the distance from the Earth to the Sun. As d is many orders of magnitude larger than r, we find:

θ ≈ arccos(1) = 0 (two rays are parallel if the angle they subtend is 0 radians).

If the Sun were much closer and much smaller than the Earth, then the rays of light would not be parallel as we plainly observe them to be with a few simple experiments in optics.

Stravinsk

Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
It's not so much the size of the sun, but its great distance that causes the rays of light to be virtually parallel within the scope of the Earth's diameter, a result of basic trigonometry. By the Law Of Cosines, we find that the angle subtended by two rays, each striking opposite ends of the Earth to be:

θ = arccos(1 - 2(r/d)²)

where r is the radius of the Earth and d is the distance from the Earth to the Sun. As d is many orders of magnitude larger than r, we find:

θ ≈ arccos(1) = 0 (two rays are parallel if the angle they subtend is 0 radians).

If the Sun were much closer and much smaller than the Earth, then the rays of light would not be parallel as we plainly observe them to be with a few simple experiments in optics.

"Virtually parallel" :rolleyes:

Crepuscular-Rays-Flat-Earth-23.jpg

And Mark, I'm going to ask you again to address the points made in the video and link to Eric Dubay's book. You keep ignoring them.

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
In Relationship
I just knew Crepuscular rays would be brought up next. ;)

I would actually rather address certain things you bring up, that come from your mind.

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
In Relationship
I am curious to know, and I don't want to continue being dismissive, how you would explain the mechanism by which the Sun and Moon, presumably much smaller and more proximal than given by scientific consensus, travel about their cyclic trajectories above the proposed Earth plane? Newton's Universal Law of Gravity, and to a better extent, Einstein's General Relativity, explain with a great deal of precision, the orbits of the planets (including Earth) about the sun. What scientific principles explain the motion of the Sun and Moon in the flat-Earth model?

Stravinsk

Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
I just knew Crepuscular rays would be brought up next. ;)

I would actually rather address certain things you bring up, that come from your mind.

Proof courtesy of an image provided by NASA. Cool. Don't believe your own eyes, it's all an illusion! Here are some fancy equations. See? We smart. You dumb. Gotcha. The world is a PEAR! LOL.

Top Bottom