CH Cash
      (14,625 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      97.46%
      Quote Originally Posted by MarkFL View Post
      Theism is something I reject on lack of evidence. I cannot say theism is wrong because there is no evidence either way, therefore I take the default position of rejecting the claim. However, a flat Earth model I can say is utterly wrong because of all the evidence against it.
      That sounds like a very generalized argument that someone like Neil Degrasse Tyson would make - someone who has argued the earth looks like this:

The evidence is for Flat Earth, by a very long measure. However, most people are not aware of it and will reject it because they are programmed from birth to do so. Not saying this is you - but you are Atheist/Agnostic and your worldview could not possibly accept the evidence, because your worldview is deeply tied to it. I'm not doubting your intelligence - I'm saying that your position will fight tooth and nail against it, whereas someone with some belief in a Creator may (I only say may, because of reasons already mentioned) be open to it.

Rens is offline Expert Member
      In Relationship
      Mood:
      Happy

Country
      Netherlands
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      19.61%
      As a cartographer I'm not open to it. Then how must all these pilots fly their planes, calculate how long it takes, all those maps that are used, just look at google earth. Best would be to just go to space. And at the shore you see that it's round.

Stravinsk is offline Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
      Widow/Widower
      Mood:
      Cool

Country
      Australia
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (14,625 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      97.46%
      Quote Originally Posted by Rens View Post
      As a cartographer I'm not open to it. Then how must all these pilots fly their planes, calculate how long it takes, all those maps that are used. Best would be to just go to space. And at the shore you see that it's round.
      Edit: please excuse the title which contains a profanity - that is the user's handle for youtube - but the video itself is clean.

Leaving aside (for the moment) the issue of maps and planes, the issue of "curvature" and the so called "proof" has been thoroughly debunked with real evidence:

The Wikipedia article showing ships going over the horizon that is offered as "proof" of earth curvature is misleading to say the least.

Notice the hostility in the Globe earther's stance? His particular position holds 0 water, but nothing said to him will convince him.

In Relationship
      Mood:
      Happy

Country
      Netherlands
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      19.61%
      He has nice glasses.
      Yes that isn't convincing if you believe it's flat. You do believe it's a circle then? If you look from left to right at the shore you see it's at least a circle.

If the sun goes down behind the see you don't see it anymore, so how is it going in a circle above the earth as a circle? And then you would still have some light everywhere if it's flat. Just take a round table and move a lightbulb above it or the sun would have to be really tiny and the earth gigantic, then a part could be dark, but you can fly to any place quite fast and it can't be because you see the sun disappear behind the ocean.
      Oh and somewhere in Australia you'd fall off it. Why has noone ever seen a side or a corner of the earth?
      Last edited by Rens; 11-25-2016 at 08:58 PM.

In Relationship
      Mood:
      Happy

Country
      Netherlands
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (0 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      19.61%
      Well at least this theory is less weird than a hollow earth with the sun moon and stars in the middle. One Dutch woman says that's totally Biblical and she believes satan bends the light so we see it different.

Widow/Widower
      Mood:
      Cool

Country
      Australia
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (14,625 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      97.46%
      Quote Originally Posted by Rens View Post
      He has nice glasses.
      Yes that isn't convincing if you believe it's flat. You do believe it's a circle then? If you look from left to right at the shore you see it's at least a circle.

If the sun goes down behind the see you don't see it anymore, so how is it going in a circle above the earth as a circle? And then you would still have some light everywhere if it's flat. Just take a round table and move a lightbulb above it or the sun would have to be really tiny and the earth gigantic, then a part could be dark, but you can fly to any place quite fast and it can't be because you see the sun disappear behind the ocean.
      Oh and somewhere in Australia you'd fall off it. Why has noone ever seen a side or a corner of the earth?
      I love his glasses!

Yes, I believe the earth is circular and flat, not circular and a sphere.

Your question about not seeing the sun as it moves beyond the horizon:

I would like to draw your attention to the point in the video where the ships disappear from our line of site. This is often used as "proof" of curvature. However, as the video shows, and something you can test yourself - all you need is a zoom lens on a camera or a pair of binoculars and you will be able to see the ship again. But even with those tools - it will eventually move away far enough so that it is not visible to you.

What does that tell you? It tells you that our vision is limited. We can only see so far.

In the Flat Earth model - the sun is much smaller and closer (as are the moon and stars). Therefore - it can only be seen while it is relatively near to us.

7. Likes Rens liked this post
      tango is offline Bronze Member
      Valued Contributor
      Supporting Member
      Married
      ... and you shall live ...

Mood:
      Bemused

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (4,975,726 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      8.43%
      Quote Originally Posted by MarkFL View Post
      Theism is something I reject on lack of evidence. I cannot say theism is wrong because there is no evidence either way, therefore I take the default position of rejecting the claim.
      At risk of a major derail here, I think it's more correct to say the default position is to not accept a claim rather than to reject it. Not accepting something leaves more options on the table than rejecting it.
      "Do what thou will shall be the whole of the law" - Aleister Crowley

"If you love me, obey my commandments" - Jesus Christ

The Bible comes as a complete package. If we want to pluck verses out of context so make them mean what we want them to mean, if we want to ignore the passages that are inconvenient to our outlook, we should be intellectually honest enough to throw our Bibles in the trash and admit we are following Crowley and not Christ.

Valued Contributor
      Supporting Member
      Married

Mood:
      Bemused

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (4,975,726 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      8.43%
      Is there a transcript of the video? I really have zero interest in watching a video that's little more than a succession of graphics that expects me to wait while someone reads the words to me.

The Bible comes as a complete package. If we want to pluck verses out of context so make them mean what we want them to mean, if we want to ignore the passages that are inconvenient to our outlook, we should be intellectually honest enough to throw our Bibles in the trash and admit we are following Crowley and not Christ.

Widow/Widower
      Mood:
      Cool

Country
      Australia
      CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (14,625 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      97.46%
      Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
      Is there a transcript of the video? I really have zero interest in watching a video that's little more than a succession of graphics that expects me to wait while someone reads the words to me.
      Huh? There is no transcript that I'm aware of and it doesn't make much sense to characterize a video one hasn't even seen. There are now 2 videos in this thread, and the author of those videos is the same person.

Valued Contributor
      Supporting Member
      Married

Mood:
      Bemused

CH Cash
      CH Challenge
      Post Thanks / Like
      CH Cash
      (4,975,726 Banked)
      vBActivity - Stats
      Level
      vBActivity - Bars
      Lv. Percent
      8.43%
      Quote Originally Posted by Stravinsk View Post
      Huh? There is no transcript that I'm aware of and it doesn't make much sense to characterize a video one hasn't even seen. There are now 2 videos in this thread, and the author of those videos is the same person.
      I watched enough of the first video to see it was little more than someone reading the words on the screen. I can't be bothered with videos that essentially assume I can't read for myself - most of the videos I've seen like that tend to be the kind of thing that take 5 minutes to make a point that need only have taken 15 seconds and seem to work along the lines of just generally wearing the viewer down by repetition until they start to believe things.

This video may or may not be one of those but the fact remains I'll only sit through so many slides that are little more than someone reading the words on the screen (usually slowly) before I lose interest.