Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Should students who leave the school building to attend protests be allowed to miss tests and do make up tests, have it as an excused absence, etc...?

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Should students who leave the school building to attend protests be allowed to miss tests and do make up tests, have it as an excused absence, etc...?

No.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

Yes. It is a constitutional right to express in peaceful speech and public demonstration one's political beliefs.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Yes. It is a constitutional right to express in peaceful speech and public demonstration one's political beliefs.

It is not a constitutional vote to walk out of school to do so - or to be excused from tests, etc. because of that. This thread is NOT about the ability of citizens to peacefully protest.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Let freedom reign!

Let the students protest freely.

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
Anti school party would be great. My son wants to become prime minister and that is one of his plans and to let kids vote.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

If a student is truant, why should he be allowed to make a up a test?

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
If a student is truant, why should he be allowed to make a up a test?

Because the student had a legitimate reason to be away - namely, expressing free speech and lawful protest with like minded people at a lawfully constituted protest. The test can be conducted at another time without loss for the school.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Because the student had a legitimate reason to be away - namely, expressing free speech and lawful protest with like minded people at a lawfully constituted protest. The test can be conducted at another time without loss for the school.

Wrong.

The student likely could do this 17 hours during the day (Monday - Friday) and 24 hours a day (Saturday and Sunday) without leaving school - that's 133 hours to do this lawful, peaceful protest without meaning they leave school. I think 133 hours is sufficient, but I'm SURE you'll disagree.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Which he can express another time when it doesnt interfere, that is called a choiceand our choices have consequenses and I would think that thta is a lesson if not taught in childhood should be taught in school

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Heck no!

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
In Relationship
I would think that if a student speaks with their professor beforehand, and explains that they wish to participate in a scheduled protest that coincides with their class time, then the professor would likely excuse the absence and allow for work/tests to be made up. If they just don't show up, then that's on the student, in my opinion.

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
I remember when I was in high school they all of a sudden decided to give all teachers a far lower income. Well everyone could demonstrate, teachers and students. It was encouraged to do so except for one christian teacher. He baffled us all. We said: Don't you go protest? No, he said, people in Africa get far less than me.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

If someone chooses to miss a test they should score 0 for the test.

It's one thing to be away for unavoidable reasons - illness, bereavement etc. But to voluntarily miss a test (and Trump's election doesn't count as a bereavement) needs to have consequences.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

If the student chooses to exercise their right to express their free speech they also get to face the consequences of choosing to exercise that right at a time that clashes with something else. I'm sure schools have more pressing concerns than rescheduling tests to suit the preferences of the students.

Nobody is saying the students shouldn't be allowed to protest, merely that if they choose to miss a test in order to protest they have to accept the consequences of the decision they made.

If you really want to push the issue of exercising rights, what if I miss my court hearing because I was exercising my right to express free speech? Do I get a free pass, or do I end up with a warrant for my arrest? I am free to protest if I so choose but don't get to escape the consequences of the decision.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
If someone chooses to miss a test they should score 0 for the test.

It's one thing to be away for unavoidable reasons - illness, bereavement etc. But to voluntarily miss a test (and Trump's election doesn't count as a bereavement) needs to have consequences.

Crooked Donald Trump's gerrymander supported non-democratic seizure of power needs to be protested.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
If the student chooses to exercise their right to express their free speech they also get to face the consequences of choosing to exercise that right at a time that clashes with something else. I'm sure schools have more pressing concerns than rescheduling tests to suit the preferences of the students.

This is a very important statement especially in regards to thinking of what happens to students once they are no longer students and out in the real world. If we get up and walk out of our jobs to go protest I doubt there would be too many bosses who respect that move. Even scheduling it ahead of time would most likely be a no no since it shows lack of caring for the company and a boss would begin to wonder how many times this employee would want to leave to protest just about anything.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation