Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Flaming is defined as a hostile online interaction that involves insults or simply stated a flame attacks someone verbally.[/B]

At Christianity Haven we have the following in our RULES:
Luke 6:31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.
This is a Christian site and members are expected to act with respect toward others.
Flaming or personal attacks will not be tolerated.

It can be very tempting to take a jab at someone online you cannot see and probably will never see face to face. Sometimes we have a manner of speaking that we are not aware that it doesn't come through in the same way when online as in person.

Here are examples, taken from posts here at CH but changed a bit, to show what NOT to say (in red) and then suggestions (in blue) on how to avoid the posts from being a flame.

Example 1
You do not know enough of the bible to comprehend it but that is because you have not yet been born again of the Spirit.

The above is a flame because it suggests 1) that the person being spoken to is ignorant and 2) that the person is not a true Christian. There is no suggestion to offer as a replacement since the entire post is aimed to slam the other person.

Example 2
And that's another post over his head!
The above is a flame because it implies that the member cannot comprehend and is condescending. There is no suggestion except to not disrespect others like this, for it adds nothing to the conversation.

Example 3
If you knew how to use words better then the rest of us would understand you, but you choose to go the path like the rest of your group and just make things up.

The above example is a flame because it implies the member is stupid and then also flames the group that the person belongs to and continues the flame by stating the member makes things up. A suggestion for responding could be, "I'm not sure I understand your point. Could you elaborate more and perhaps back it up with scripture (or data)?"

Example 4
I know my rights. I shouldn't be censored by a bunch of communist fascists who want to control my thoughts.

The above example is a flame because it is calling names but also this type of post doesn't add to the conversation and any issues with staff members should be taken to the Member Admin Center. The suggestion for this is to not publicly mouth off but stick to the topic. Complaints about the site or staff should always be done in the Member Admin Center where staff and the owner will listen and try to work through issues.

Not all flames are done in open threads. Some are done through the Reputation system and Visitor's Messages and are still open to staff action.

Ideas and opinions can be refuted in the threads but personal, insulting comments directed at members should be avoided because that simply adds no benefit to the threads.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
A staff member told me that I'm disrespectful and THAT is flaming me!

No, it's not. A staff member is appointed on this site to address members who are committing rule infractions. If your post is speaking to a member or members in a negative way instead of address their theology or doctrine, that is considered disrespectful and a staff member is allowed to let you know that. Why? Because we want you to stop that behavior. Address the topic and not the person.

We recently have been told that members do not like it if we act as staff in the threads while we are posting our points as well. For example, if we tell a member his post is disrespectful and then we go on to talk about the topic within the same post. We realize that members might find this crossing the line. So, if you are committing a flaming rule violation and staff needs to address it, it will be a separate post in the thread so you know we are acting as staff. Most times it is better to PM members and let them know their behavior is undesirable but since posts are made openly, it is not objectionable to post our reprimands openly as well.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
These type of posts are examples of how members are addressing the person (or persons) instead of the topic and are considered flaming. They are real life examples pulled from reports. I'm posting these because staff is finding that some members do not realize the difference between addressing the person in a negative way as opposed to addressing their theology or doctrine.

You two are about as low and disgusting as you can get.

I really hope to God you dont get treated with the same cruelty some day, your brand of phony-baloney christianity is really disgusting.

I've dealt with your abusive types before,

it shows how spineless and hard-hearted you really are

By rejecting the words of the Lord that I have typed into this forum proves you are nothing but the antichrist who HATES Christ.

I wonder are you off your meds by any chance

Do you think before you type nonsense?

you seem bent on twisting a pretzel to make yourself king of your pond. I believe Dr Seuss wrote about you.

Here are some examples of posts that address the theology or doctrinal beliefs and although they are negative, they are not flaming the person and are allowed:

You don't seem to understand the point about baptism.

The Baptists are always wrong about the Lord's Supper.

Why can't you see the difference between the two?

You insist that you need to do something and that makes you the Savior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom