USA Donald Trump on illegal immigrants

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Sorry I did not provide the actual quote of Donald Trump. I heard so much of different things he said on tv that I assumingly said he called Mexicans rapists and killers but he in reality only said rapists. But from the way he was talking about illegal aliens made me think he said killers but I see now he did not. He actually also said that he assumes some of them are good people.

Hammster

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Maybe they do, but to imply that the government is merely dumping its unwanted citizens on another country ignores many other reasons why people would try and live somewhere else, legally or otherwise.

Personally I've never felt the need to flee my home land with nothing aside from the clothes I happen to be wearing at the time. I've never felt the need to hide inside a diesel tanker, or cling to the underside of a truck, or climb inside the landing gear of an aircraft, in a desperate bid to escape whatever was wrong with my homeland.

If I were desperately hard up and my government offered me money to wriggle through a hole in a fence to live in another country I'd be tempted. If the government offered me money to do something that put my well-being (maybe even my life) in danger, I'd have to be seriously desperate to consider that one.

In the UK (London in particular) there are a huge number of Polish people. They arrived from Poland, many own businesses, most of them work very hard. It's frankly embarrassing to see the differences between a lot of English business and a lot of Polish businesses. When I needed some decorating work done I invited three companies to quote. The Polish guy showed up, looked over the job, talked through how he proposed to tackle it, and gave me a price. The English guy showed up, sucked air through his teeth, didn't want to commit to part of the work (but said he'd be willing to charge on a per-hour basis to do it), then didn't even bother to submit a quote/estimate. A third guy (an Oriental guy) responded much the same as the Polish guy but quoted a higher price. So the Polish guy got the job, he sent two Polish workers to paint my house, and you'd struggle to fault anything about the job they did.

I'm not talking about immigration in general. I'm bringing up what Trump said and how it was misconstrued. He never said all immigrants are rapists and murderers.

Sent from my iPhone using my right thumb.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
​I suspect Donald Trump will not see through the primaries.

onlyme

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Marital Status
Married
The way things work, I reckon he's a useful trial balloon for the corporations, who want the benefit of cheap labor especially through NAFTA in Mexico, but whose Republican constituents espouse hard-line views about Mexicans.

onlyme

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Marital Status
Married
PS: Stated differently, if Donald Trump's candidacy did not exist, it would be 'necessary' to invent it.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
The way things work, I reckon he's a useful trial balloon for the corporations, who want the benefit of cheap labor especially through NAFTA in Mexico, but whose Republican constituents espouse hard-line views about Mexicans.
​I think you're right :)

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I don't want to be right about this; I fear that I am.
Fearlessly facing the facts is important.

I think Mr Trump will depart the primaries quite a while before the republicans have chosen a candidate.

onlyme

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Marital Status
Married
Fearlessly facing the facts is important.

I think Mr Trump will depart the primaries quite a while before the republicans have chosen a candidate.
There are wheels within wheels.

Like in Australia, when in opposition, the Party of Labor made noises against Nauru and the detention centre.

But once in government...umm, well...

It's a global issue. But trying to deal with it globally and using the US does not seem to have worked remotely.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
There are wheels within wheels.

Like in Australia, when in opposition, the Party of Labor made noises against Nauru and the detention centre.

But once in government...umm, well...

It's a global issue. But trying to deal with it globally and using the US does not seem to have worked remotely.
Tony Abbot is likely to win the next election unless he makes another big mistake and his party turfs him out. But the current scandal with Bronwin Bishop is amusing for me after she spends so much time in her role as speaker dressing down others for breaking some trivial rule or other.

onlyme

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Marital Status
Married
Tony Abbot is likely to win the next election unless he makes another big mistake and his party turfs him out. But the current scandal with Bronwin Bishop is amusing for me after she spends so much time in her role as speaker dressing down others for breaking some trivial rule or other.
I don't see a lot of commitment in Australia to close the immigration detention centre in Nauru.

I don't see a lot of commitment in the US to give more amnesties to Mexicans without papers.

Hammster

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
That went off topic quickly.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I don't see a lot of commitment in Australia to close the immigration detention centre in Nauru.

I don't see a lot of commitment in the US to give more amnesties to Mexicans without papers.
Rich people like to keep their relative advantages so sharing with others is not part of their psyche really and that is why Australians and USAers do not like "illegals"; in fact it is why they get called illegals even though those who are refugees are not illegal when they seek asylum in Australia or the USA. Selfishness is a strong motive in politics.

Hammster

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
What do you want to believe about immigrants?

There was an unsubstantiated claim made by the OP. It's been shown that Trump didn't say what was asserted. My views on immigration are not relevant.

onlyme

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Marital Status
Married
Rich people like to keep their relative advantages so sharing with others is not part of their psyche really and that is why Australians and USAers do not like "illegals"; in fact it is why they get called illegals even though those who are refugees are not illegal when they seek asylum in Australia or the USA. Selfishness is a strong motive in politics.
A sea change from the Mayflower and Botany Bay eras.

onlyme

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Marital Status
Married
There was an unsubstantiated claim made by the OP. It's been shown that Trump didn't say what was asserted. My views on immigration are not relevant.

Do you think Trump was sending a subliminal message that would have resonance among Republican voters, even though the mainstream candidates know they can't use such language?

Hammster

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Do you think Trump was sending a subliminal message that would have resonance among Republican voters, even though the mainstream candidates know they can't use such language?

No. I have never worn a tin hat.

onlyme

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Marital Status
Married
No. I have never worn a tin hat.

Maybe you don't, but the mainline candidates know that they will have trouble if they say the things they know their potential supporters think.

Top Bottom