Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I do not agree that faith is an act of God in any special sense that others things are not also acts of God.

What do you mean by "act of God"?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
God gives the gift. You have to use it.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
As Rens points out, God gives us faith and then by faith we live our lives, loving God and our neighbor and doing the good works that the Holy Spirit has plans for us to do.

God is the one who gives faith and strengthens faith and He does so by His Word (Hebrews 12 states that Jesus is the author and perfecter of our faith).

Our faith is confidence in what we hope for and do not see (Hebrews 11). Hebrews 11 continues to show how the faithful lived out their faith (by faith).

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
MoreCoffee, in your OP you asked about people being able to decide to have faith and now it seems you're going in a different direction. Is that so? I'm just trying to follow the path.

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
If you have it using it is voluntary, but if you don't have it it's not always a choice. Following Him or searching for Him and asking for it (Lord I believe, help my unbelief) is a choice. I had faith that if there was a God of course He would show me that He existed, why not?
How can they believe if they never heard of Him? How hear without a preacher? That is not a voluntary choice. Or if you're blind and don't see it. That's not a choice. If you don't want to see it or only on your terms of how a good God has to behave in order for you to believe in Him, that's pride, that's a choice to harden your heart or be humble.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
MoreCoffee, in your OP you asked about people being able to decide to have faith and now it seems you're going in a different direction. Is that so? I'm just trying to follow the path.

I'm following the same path. People do decide to have faith or not. Their reasons for making the decision vary. Some may decide just to fit in. Some because it makes them feel good. I am sure there are many varieties.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I'm following the same path. People do decide to have faith or not. Their reasons for making the decision vary. Some may decide just to fit in. Some because it makes them feel good. I am sure there are many varieties.

Your denomination believes it's a gift. That means it's not a decision in order to get faith since it's given as a gift.

Since God gives us faith as a gift, the only "decision" is to stay in the faith or reject it. Staying doesn't mean that we contribute to our salvation. It means we acknowledge what God has done and have received it. That's "by grace through faith" as Ephesians teaches.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
If you have it using it is voluntary, but if you don't have it it's not always a choice. Following Him or searching for Him and asking for it (Lord I believe, help my unbelief) is a choice. I had faith that if there was a God of course He would show me that He existed, why not?
How can they believe if they never heard of Him? How hear without a preacher? That is not a voluntary choice. Or if you're blind and don't see it. That's not a choice. If you don't want to see it or only on your terms of how a good God has to behave in order for you to believe in Him, that's pride, that's a choice to harden your heart or be humble.

Your post confuses me as it seems to back up both sides?

In the part where you say Lord I believe, help my unbelief, that's a believer wanting more faith. Unbelievers don't ask for faith since they don't believe in God. That's why receiving faith is always a gift from God.

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
Your post confuses me as it seems to back up both sides?

In the part where you say Lord I believe, help my unbelief, that's a believer wanting more faith. Unbelievers don't ask for faith since they don't believe in God. That's why receiving faith is always a gift from God.

But that man who said it was not a believer. He just saw Jesus healing all those people and had some faith, enough to ask Him to heal his son.
It depends. If someone has never heard of Him or they rationalize everything, that's not a choice. But you can't say: oh those poor pharisees, God didn't give them that gift. They had faith. They were waiting for Jesus to do a miracle, so they could kill Him. That wasn't saving faith. They did not believe in Him. He didn't fit their description of a good messiah and they were proud. That's a choice. They rejected Him, so they didn't get faith.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Your denomination believes it's a gift. That means it's not a decision in order to get faith since it's given as a gift.

Since God gives us faith as a gift, the only "decision" is to stay in the faith or reject it. Staying doesn't mean that we contribute to our salvation. It means we acknowledge what God has done and have received it. That's "by grace through faith" as Ephesians teaches.

It may be a gift given to all or to all who hear the gospel or something quite wide rather than narrow an as Rens suggested a gift needs to be accepted before it is usable. Maybe the gift is for all and only some decide to use it.

popsthebuilder

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Indeed faith is not wholly voluntary.

It is to believe, or know.

You cannot choose to know a thing, or even believe it. Either you do or you do not.

Peace

Sent from my Alcatel_6055U using Tapatalk

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Indeed faith is not wholly voluntary.

It is to believe, or know.

You cannot choose to know a thing, or even believe it. Either you do or you do not.

Peace

Sent from my Alcatel_6055U using Tapatalk

I think you can choose to believe a thing. For example, I can choose to believe something about you. It may be true or not. But I can choose.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I think you can choose to believe a thing. For example, I can choose to believe something about you. It may be true or not. But I can choose.

Please state your biblical verse for this.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Please state your biblical verse for this.

Why do I need one. I can choose to believe that you have blue eyes. I can choose to believe that popsthebuilder has black hair. I don't need a bible verse for that.

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
Why do I need one. I can choose to believe that you have blue eyes. I can choose to believe that popsthebuilder has black hair. I don't need a bible verse for that.

Can you choose to believe Santa exists?
Or are you then fooling yourself, because there is enough evidence that he doesn't?

Top Bottom