Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Atheism is a dogmatic insistence that no god exists; it is the antithesis of theism which dogmatically insists that god does exist. "A" = not, "theos" = God. Atheism = no god, Theism = is god. Agnosticism is another view: "A" = not, "Gnosis" = certainty, knowledge. Agnosticism = to be unsure, uncertain - the possibility exists but not certainty.

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
It's a belief. My dad once said: I believe in nothing LOL.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
It's a belief. My dad once said: I believe in nothing LOL.

Lack of belief in God is an accurate definition of atheism. :)

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Lack of belief in God is an accurate definition of atheism. :)

I disagree. Atheism IS a belief - as much as theism - it's just a strong, dogmatic belief in the opposite: there is no god. Agnosticism is having no certainty (leaving the door open to possibilities) but that's not exactly a lack of faith, just lack of certainty.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The only common thread that ties all atheists together is a lack of belief in gods and supernatural beings.

Because atheism is a dogmatic denial of the reality of the divine. "A" (no) "Theos" (God). It is a dogmatic denial.

Since its whole point concerns the divine, and since religion has to do with relationship with the divine, it is a religion in that sense, but properly speaking, both theism and atheism are neither religions, they are philosophies. One certainly could believe in the existence of the divine but have no relationship or practices in terms of such (conversely, Taoism and Confusianism are both referred to as religions although neither, strictly speaking, embraces the divine - but they do have religious practices, etc.). I can understand why atheism is sometimes referred as a religion but IMO, strictly speaking, both Theism and the dogmatic opposite, Atheism, are both philosophies, philosophies that may or may not have religious aspects associated with them.

This is because atheists do not have a common belief system

Then they can't all be atheists. Atheists certainly to have a common belief system, a very dogmatic and focused one: there is no divine. That's as much a common belief system as theists share: there is a divine.

- Josiah

Last edited:

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
In Relationship
I've deleted my posts...I'm not going to get mired down trying to explain the correct definition of atheism again. I've got better things I can be doing.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I've deleted my posts...I'm not going to get mired down trying to explain the correct definition of atheism again. I've got better things I can be doing.

What you rightly avoided here seems to be what you've been roped into doing in another thread. You have my warm sympathy Mark :)

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
In Relationship
What you rightly avoided here seems to be what you've been roped into doing in another thread. You have my warm sympathy Mark :)

Well, I could have simply ignored it (and probably should have), however, a part of me gets all twitchy when I see something being misrepresented, particularly when I think that others may walk away with misinformation, especially when that someone might say to others that they read it here at CH. :eek:

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Well, I could have simply ignored it (and probably should have), however, a part of me gets all twitchy when I see something being misrepresented, particularly when I think that others may walk away with misinformation, especially when that someone might say to others that they read it here at CH. :eek:

Yes, I see what you mean. Keep up the fight to inform. Information ought to help rather damage faith (I reckon).

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yes, I see what you mean. Keep up the fight to inform. Information ought to help rather damage faith (I reckon).

Yes, my goal has never been to undermine anyone's faith. I just want any would-be "atheist-slayers" to understand the potential position(s) of their adversaries, and why those who make a positive claim carry a burden of proof. Many fail to see this, and are incorrectly under the impression that the playing field isn't level when a person who simply rejects a claim (made with no compelling evidence behind it) isn't burdened to justify this rejection, as it's the default position. If everyone correctly understands the basic rules of debate, a lot of frustration can be avoided...on both sides. :D

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Yes, my goal has never been to undermine anyone's faith. I just want any would-be "atheist-slayers" to understand the potential position(s) of their adversaries, and why those who make a positive claim carry a burden of proof. Many fail to see this, and are incorrectly under the impression that the playing field isn't level when a person who simply rejects a claim (made with no compelling evidence behind it) isn't burdened to justify this rejection, as it's the default position. If everyone correctly understands the basic rules of debate, a lot of frustration can be avoided...on both sides. :D

Giving reasons for why one is not convinced is good. I reckon many atheists can give a credible account of reasons for their position. Yet I agree, there is no burden of proof on an atheist who says "I do not believe in gods because I've seen no convincing evidence for belief in God".

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
In Relationship
Giving reasons for why one is not convinced is good. I reckon many atheists can give a credible account of reasons for their position. Yet I agree, there is no burden of proof on an atheist who says "I do not believe in gods because I've seen no convincing evidence for belief in God".

Yes, and being familiar with the fallacies and empty arguments used by misguided debaters is good too. But, I would only actually debate if someone is actively trying to convince me that their position is one I should adopt. I would only ask for evidence when someone claims to me personally that they know something that concerns me when I suspect they simply believe it instead.

If someone tells me they know God exists, I have no issue with that because I assume their knowledge comes by faith. Nothing wrong with that, in and of itself. I don't agree with the "New Atheists" who call us to treat such a claim like we would if someone says they know the Easter Bunny is real. But if they tell me I better change my ways because judgement days is coming, and I will feel the wrath of God, etc., then I'm going to ask them for evidence for this because "changing my ways" is a tedious chore, and needn't be done unless I have some compelling reason to do so. :D

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't think it's very smart to warn an atheist that doomsday is coming. It'll have the opposite effect.
But if someone is about to die I don't care. You have to warn if you're sure something is the truth. Not aggressive or annoying. One guy who used to be a believer, he was dying, I just sent him a card: hey don't forget to arrange your ticket to heaven. Here's how you do it. My sister said he listened. She doesn't believe, but she said to him when he asked her about it just before he died: yes better do that.

popsthebuilder

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
MarkFL,

You would know better that I would, and I'm not trying to offend or debate.

It seems that there are different levels of disbelief in GOD. I find that the majority of atheists are actually what seems to be referred to as soft atheism. It seems, from my interactions with atheists that many are actually deists to some extent. Not denying a higher power or intelligent design per say, but denying it's care for, and, or, interaction with It's creation.

Is this accurate to you?

I'm not claiming that you are or are not a deist.

Thank you in advance.

Peace

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Yes, and being familiar with the fallacies and empty arguments used by misguided debaters is good too. But, I would only actually debate if someone is actively trying to convince me that their position is one I should adopt.

True. I suppose one could proclaim a position (such as GOD IS - "Theism" or the antitheis of GOD IS NOT - "Atheism") and not care to defend it as true. I'm okay with that. What I have no respect for is the one who attacks, ridicules, mocks a postion demanding objective, absolute PROOF for that he will accept..... but then runs for his own position on the same thing. For example, one holds that there is life on Mars. Someone mocks that, ridicules it, demands PROOF of such..... but then runs away of his own position that there is no life on Mars, insisting his own position is exempt from any need for proof, accountability, responsiblity. That double standard, the hypocrisy, the GAME is - sadly - not uncommon.

If someone tells me they know God exists, I have no issue with that because I assume their knowledge comes by faith. Nothing wrong with that, in and of itself. I don't agree with the "New Atheists" who call us to treat such a claim like we would if someone says they know the Easter Bunny is real. But if they tell me I better change my ways because judgement days is coming, and I will feel the wrath of God, etc., then I'm going to ask them for evidence for this because "changing my ways" is a tedious chore, and needn't be done unless I have some compelling reason to do so.

I largely agree. REGARDLESS of ones position, there needs to be respect (as well as a "level playing field" void of epistemological games, tricks, gymnastics). The Christian Bible tells us to "speak the truth in love." Some forget that last part.....

I know such Theists exist (I find them quite offensive). I have an admittedly limited experience of Atheists (and all but a couple "met" only online) - they seem very rare. But my experience is that they tend to be a very angry, bitter, hateful people - an anger that is very puzzling (do people get SO gluded, so angry if one holds that UFO's are real?). They seem obsessed with mocking, ridiculing, condemning Theists..... I've been told in big, embolden words that I'm stupid, ignorant, uneducated, unthinking - without them knowing a thing about me except that I accept that God is. And they DEMAND - over and over and over and over - PROOF for this position, object and absolute PROOF of a purely scientific, physical nature that they'd accept in full knowledge that obviously the supernatural cannot be defended by a denial of the supernatural. The anger, the hate... and yes the disrespect (they often will state they don't respect me - me being so uneducated, so unthinking, of such low IQ).... it's hard to understand. Something for Dr. Phil, I suppose LOL.

My experience with Agnostics is very different. I know lots of Agnostics. They tend to be honest, thoughtful people - respectful as a whole. Void of the intense anger that characterizes Atheists in my experience. And since they by no means reject the concept of God, they have no felt need to mock such. Indeed, I have had Agnostics (well, two anyway) who expressed a certain envy of my faith - and the comfort, hope, strength and inspiration it gives to me. I understand their position and respect it, and that tends to be mutual.

- Josiah

Last edited:

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I heard of an atheist that said something like "if you believe in a god, I dont... and if you dont believe in god, I do" I never understood this, I think he must be implying that if no one believed in God then it would in theory answer his prayers that his type of god (atheist world) exist... go figure

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Pedrito

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
These thoughts are primarily for MarkFL’s consideration.

Others in the CH community may find them discomforting.

(The Post is long, but the thoughts are better posted as a unit, as opposed to being split.)

==============================================================================================

First of all, let Pedrito state that he finds Atheism (as he understands the concept) to be totally logical when one considers the world around one. How can a Superior Being, one who supposedly created this Earth on which we live, as well as Mankind itself – a Being of whom it is said has the welfare of Mankind at heart – permit the evil and sadness and trauma that pervades the world in which we are forced to live?

And what about the multiplicity of those Beings that exist in the various religions around the Globe (whether considered to be the First Cause or not)? Each of them has characteristics that differ from the others.

And even just considering in isolation the religion called Christian, the situation is not much better, if better at all. Multiplicity reigns there as well – a multiplicity of religious organisations and religious groups holding conflicting beliefs and practices, all claiming to be either representing God or being close to what He wants us to be doing and believing. It is a total mess.

==============================================================================================

Secondly, Pedrito would like to share snippets of his background. The sum total of Pedrito’s religious education in the family, was the bedtime prayer: “God bless: Mummy, Daddy, (my name), Grandma, Amen”, from which the Grandma (who resided in a far country) was omitted suddenly and without explanation.

When Pedrito was around 8 years of age, his father decided it was time for Pedrito to attend Sunday School. He was taken to the church associated with the country from which his father had come. He attended the first week, won a prize the second week, and was thunderstruck on the third. That was the week when the Sunday School attended the normal church service. It was a ceremonial church. There was this book of prayers that everybody but Pedrito seemed adept at flipping backwards and forwards within at the right times. Including all the other kids. There were also several references to “collects”. Pedrito was traumatised. He refused to go back.

Years later, Pedrito was invited to a Christian fellowship by a someone he was working and studying with. He went along and was exposed to a ritualistic-with-evangelical-leanings message. It offered explanation for the observable state of the world, and presented a plausible proposition about how God was doing something about it in the lives of individuals. Pedrito responded. There developed a thankfulness in his heart towards the God being presented, and he accepted what he understood to be a personal offer from God to him.

Naturally, a strong loyalty towards the organisation that had effected the introduction developed. Just like the loyalties that are very apparent among CH posters to their religious backgrounds.

Equally naturally, Pedrito began reading the Bible, the supposed basis for what he had been taught. What a surprise he got. What he was reading was noticeably different from what he had been taught. He asked for explanations. He got into trouble for asking. He looked to other organisations for explanations. He got into trouble there, too. He adopted an interdenominational outlook, and was considered an enemy by all. (Even by “interdenominational” organisations if (when) he asked the questions “everybody knew” should not be asked.)

So Pedrito laid aside what he had been taught, and collated the teachings of Jesus and the apostles, while gaining an appreciation of the how and why of the formation of Israel, Israel’s purpose, and the amazing models and prophecies contained in the Hebrew writings (Old Testament).

In summary, the integrated nature of the 66 books of the (Protestant) Bible and its message, convinced Pedrito that there had to have been an overall guiding hand influencing the around 40 component authors as they wrote.

In more detail, Pedrito investigated and found that largely (it seemed at that time) there was a highly integrated message that pointed to an overall single source of authorship. However, a few questions still remained – remained until he stumbled across a group of people who chose to study the Bible in an unfettered manner – no holds barred, no question avoided. The answers to his remaining queries became obvious, and he became convinced that the existence of the being we label God was indeed unquestionably real, and that that Being did have a strong interest in the intelligent beings inhabiting the third planet of a particular star in a galaxy of billions – that galaxy itself being one among billions – and that there was a distinct purpose to it all that the “normal” churches don’t know about, and wouldn’t want to know about.

Pedrito concluded all that (as have others), based on the improbability that a collection of writings from so many authors over such a period of time, could have such a cohesion when looked at as a whole – a mind-blowing cohesion in fact, if the plethora of incompatible doctrine-practice mixes observable within established Christendom, are ignored.

Based on his personal experience, Pedrito sincerely suggests that MarkFL consider following in Pedrito’s footsteps (as it were) and possibly discover something amazing – something personally worthwhile and maybe even personally rewarding in a wonderful way.

Pedrito is open to considering any questions that may arise if MarkFL (or anyone else) seriously embarks on this path, and to discussing those questions in a non-combative manner.

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
These thoughts are primarily for MarkFL’s consideration.

Others in the CH community may find them discomforting.

(The Post is long, but the thoughts are better posted as a unit, as opposed to being split.)

First of all, let Pedrito state that he finds Atheism (as he understands the concept) to be totally logical when one considers the world around one. How can a Superior Being, one who supposedly created this Earth on which we live, as well as Mankind itself – a Being of whom it is said has the welfare of Mankind at heart – permit the evil and sadness and trauma that pervades the world in which we are forced to live?

And what about the multiplicity of those Beings that exist in the various religions around the Globe (whether considered to be the First Cause or not)? Each of them has characteristics that differ from the others.

And even just considering in isolation the religion called Christian, the situation is not much better, if better at all. Multiplicity reigns there as well – a multiplicity of religious organisations and religious groups holding conflicting beliefs and practices, all claiming to be either representing God or being close to what He wants us to be doing and believing. It is a total mess.

Secondly, Pedrito would like to share snippets of his background. The sum total of Pedrito’s religious education in the family, was the bedtime prayer: “God bless: Mummy, Daddy, (my name), Grandma, Amen”, from which the Grandma (who resided in a far country) was omitted suddenly and without explanation.

When Pedrito was around 8 years of age, his father decided it was time for Pedrito to attend Sunday School. He was taken to the church associated with the country from which his father had come. He attended the first week, won a prize the second week, and was thunderstruck on the third. That was the week when the Sunday School attended the normal church service. It was a ceremonial church. There was this book of prayers that everybody but Pedrito seemed adept at flipping backwards and forwards within at the right times. Including all the other kids. There were also several references to “collects”. Pedrito was traumatised. He refused to go back.

Years later, Pedrito was invited to a Christian fellowship by a someone he was working and studying with. He went along and was exposed to a ritualistic-with-evangelical-leanings message. It offered explanation for the observable state of the world, and presented a plausible proposition about how God was doing something about it in the lives of individuals. Pedrito responded. There developed a thankfulness in his heart towards the God being presented, and he accepted what he understood to be a personal offer from God to him.

Naturally, a strong loyalty towards the organisation that had effected the introduction developed. Just like the loyalties that are very apparent among CH posters to their religious backgrounds.

Equally naturally, Pedrito began reading the Bible, the supposed basis for what he had been taught. What a surprise he got. What he was reading was noticeably different from what he had been taught. He asked for explanations. He got into trouble for asking. He looked to other organisations for explanations. He got into trouble there, too. He adopted an interdenominational outlook, and was considered an enemy by all. (Even by “interdenominational” organisations if (when) he asked the questions “everybody knew” should not be asked.)

So Pedrito laid aside what he had been taught, and collated the teachings of Jesus and the apostles, while gaining an appreciation of the how and why of the formation of Israel, Israel’s purpose, and the amazing models and prophecies contained in the Hebrew writings (Old Testament).

In summary, the integrated nature of the 66 books of the (Protestant) Bible and its message, convinced Pedrito that there had to have been an overall guiding hand influencing the around 40 component authors as they wrote.

In more detail, Pedrito investigated and found that largely (it seemed at that time) there was a highly integrated message that pointed to an overall single source of authorship. However, a few questions still remained – remained until he stumbled across a group of people who chose to study the Bible in an unfettered manner – no holds barred, no question avoided. The answers to his remaining queries became obvious, and he became convinced that the existence of the being we label God was indeed unquestionably real, and that that Being did have a strong interest in the intelligent beings inhabiting the third planet of a particular star in a galaxy of billions – that galaxy itself being one among billions – and that there was a distinct purpose to it all that the “normal” churches don’t know about, and wouldn’t want to know about.

Pedrito concluded all that (as have others), based on the improbability that a collection of writings from so many authors over such a period of time, could have such a cohesion when looked at as a whole – a mind-blowing cohesion in fact, if the plethora of incompatible doctrine-practice mixes observable within established Christendom, are ignored.

Based on his personal experience, Pedrito sincerely suggests that MarkFL consider following in Pedrito’s footsteps (as it were) and possibly discover something amazing – something personally worthwhile and maybe even personally rewarding in a wonderful way.

Pedrito is open to considering any questions that may arise if MarkFL (or anyone else) seriously embarks on this path, and to discussing those questions in a non-combative manner.

Nicely done. I pray that Mark fellow, along with the Roman Catholics and any other religiously confused, doubters, and unbelievers here would consider it carefully ... And mainly, to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and be saved. GBU.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Socrates was poisoned with hemlock because he was an atheist, Athenian law prescribed it, but think about it, back then being an atheist was the label you got if you didnt surrender to the 'many' gods. This was pre-Christian era and he wasn't Jewish, you couldnt be adopted into Judaism and you didnt have Jesus to convert/adopt gentiles and thus these days we would call him atheist

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom