Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
CH has a feature often seen, whereby a poster may draw attention to another poster as he/she responds to a post. It's a useful feature, especially at very large websites where hundreds of posts are made every day, dozens and dozens in each thread, and so it's easy to miss a reply.

There's one poster here who "mentions" me in the forums very often - many times every day. ALL of these creates a separate email sent to my email box. Yesterday, most of my email was from CH telling me I had these many, many "mentions" (all of which I had already responded to).

Furthermore, whenever this poster is at the site, there is a constant flow of "notifications" that appear, drawing my attention to a CH notification. I use to click on these thinking maybe I had a private message or something, but over 95% of the time, it's just CH notifying me this one poster has replied to one of my posts (although usually having not read the post, lol) beginning with a mention.

I think the feature can be helpful, and I've used it myself. But for me, it's become far, far more a bother. Can I turn it off? Can I turn off the feature whereby an email is sent to me? If not, that's fine - I can live with it. But hopefully, I can.

Thanks for all you do!

- Josiah

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
CH has a feature often seen, whereby a poster may draw attention to another poster as he/she responds to a post. It's a useful feature, especially at very large websites where hundreds of posts are made every day, dozens and dozens in each thread, and so it's easy to miss a reply.

There's one poster here who "mentions" me in the forums very often - many times every day. ALL of these creates a separate email sent to my email box. Yesterday, most of my email was from CH telling me I had these many, many "mentions" (all of which I had already responded to).

Furthermore, whenever this poster is at the site, there is a constant flow of "notifications" that appear, drawing my attention to a CH notification. I use to click on these thinking maybe I had a private message or something, but over 95% of the time, it's just CH notifying me this one poster has replied to one of my posts (although usually having not read the post, lol) beginning with a mention.

I think the feature can be helpful, and I've used it myself. But for me, it's become far, far more a bother. Can I turn it off? Can I turn off the feature whereby an email is sent to me? If not, that's fine - I can live with it. But hopefully, I can.

Thanks for all you do!

- Josiah

Just turn off the feature that sends emails on your personal profile. I imagine it can be done.

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hello Josiah,

The user tagging product was developed by DragonByte Technologies, and what they generally do at vBorg is offer two versions of their product, a "Lite" version that is free to use, and then a "Pro" version (which can be found on their site) which requires the purchase of a license. The Lite version generally contains a proper subset of the features offered by the Pro version. We are using the Lite version and unfortunately, all of the things you have asked about are features of the Pro version only.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Hello Josiah,

The user tagging product was developed by DragonByte Technologies, and what they generally do at vBorg is offer two versions of their product, a "Lite" version that is free to use, and then a "Pro" version (which can be found on their site) which requires the purchase of a license. The Lite version generally contains a proper subset of the features offered by the Pro version. We are using the Lite version and unfortunately, all of the things you have asked about are features of the Pro version only.

I'll stop using the @ when I mention Josiah :)

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Hello Josiah,

Understood. Accepted.

Thank you for the very quick reply. And for all you do for us here at CH.

- Josiah

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think it's a very useful feature, but it can also become annoying when it is used in cases where it's not imperative that the tagged user have their attention drawn to the post. But that's the thing...we all may have different ideas about what constitutes the need for tagging. Some users may generally be diligent enough in their reading of threads that it is completely unnecessary to tag them, while others benefit greatly from having that notification.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I have my emails turned off in my settings for everything. I'm here every day so I don't need an email notification for anything at the moment.

I use the mentions when I really need someone to see something. It's so easy to overlook posts or not know your attention or response is required. For staff it's really worked out well to have this feature.

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'll stop using the @ when I mention Josiah :)

I didn't know you could use it. What a great idea. Hi [MENTION=60]MoreCoffee[/MENTION]!

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I didn't know you could use it. What a great idea. Hi [MENTION=60]MoreCoffee[/MENTION]!

You are sweet sister Rens, I like your mentions :)

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I have my emails turned off in my settings for everything. I'm here every day so I don't need an email notification for anything at the moment.

I looked into that several times; never could figure out how to do that. I'm getting like 7 emails A DAY (over 10 sometimes) all from CH telling me a certain poster has "mentioned" me. That's going to end, I think, but I'd still like to turn that off, if I knew how.

I use the mentions when I really need someone to see something. It's so easy to overlook posts or not know your attention or response is required. For staff it's really worked out well to have this feature.

Sometimes, there has been 2 or 3 "mentions" in the very same post. Sometimes 10 in a day from the same singular poster. In threads I reply to several times a day (so I AM reading it).

I'm not opposed to the feature; I have used it myself. At a very big site, it's quite useful since a reply to a post is likely to be buried on a back page when that person comes back. At a small site like CH, it only has use if a poster is fairly inactive and thus not likely to see your reply.

I think this issue has been resolved (for which I'm thankful). I'd still like to turn off the email feature is that's possible, but I gathered from Mark that it is not.

Thanks for all you do!

- Josiah

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The settings for the software allow for turning off emails but that would affect all CH members and I'm not sure if Romanos would approve that since there might be members who don't log in every day and an email might encourage them to come here.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The settings for the software allow for turning off emails but that would affect all CH members and I'm not sure if Romanos would approve that since there might be members who don't log in every day and an email might encourage them to come here.

YOU can probably do it because you are on staff.... Yeah, I gathered from Mark that we lowly ones cannot do that. Hopefully, the issue is moot now.

Thanks for all you do!

- Josiah

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
In Relationship
What Lammy means is that the email notifications from the user tagging product can be turned off globally, but not for individual users. So, either everyone gets them or no one gets them. :D

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
What Lammy means is that the email notifications from the user tagging product can be turned off globally, but not for individual users. So, either everyone gets them or no one gets them. :D

Understood. Thank you!

Top Bottom