Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
In Post #23 on Page 4, MoreCoffee said:
@Josiah, the fact is that what the church taught in 325 AD is what Catholics teach today.

In 325AD the “church” had yet to add a third personality to the Christian God. The Christian God consisted only of “God the Father” and “God the Son” (to use common parlance) at that stage.

The “Nicene Creed”, was so named so as to trick people (us) into thinking that it expresses doctrines as established at Nicea in 325AD, but it actually contains the addition of the third personality (“God the Holy Spirit”) which was not made until 381AD.

So demonstrably, “what the church taught in 325 AD is” not “what Catholics teach today.”

Pedrito

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
In Post #23 on Page 4, MoreCoffee said (regarding the council held at Nicea and dated at 325AD):
There is more in today's catechism than would be so in the Catechisms of the time of the council.

Why should that be so?

If Catholic doctrine and practice is based on “apostolic tradition” as we are told, then all church doctrines and practices would naturally have been settled once and for all, at the same time (not via a succession of “church councils” and papal declarations as nigh on two thousand years of history progressed). Is that not a sensible consideration?

Simple historical observation tells a different story.

Instead, we observe early onset, and progressive, human speculation, together with notions and celebrations of pagan origin, becoming accepted doctrine and practice.

The tendrils of that speculation etc. reach deep into “Protestantism”, also. (If you stop to think about it.)

Note: I am not ignoring the Orthodox churches. I confess that I am not well informed in that regard, but I understand that much of my comment regarding the church that calls itself Catholic, also applies to the churches that are collectively called Orthodox.

Top Bottom