A Few Original Language Bible Study Helps

Ackbach

Religious Affiliation
Calvinist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I go for original language helps, whenever I can get them. I am also studying the Latin Vulgate a bit as I am able, to help me learn Latin.

Hebrew OT

Hebrew OT helps are rather rare, unfortunately. You can buy BibleWorks (390 USD), or get the BHS with Westminster Morphology on Olive Tree (80 USD). You can get very basic Hebrew morphology (basically, just the part of speech and a definition) here on SHEBANQ. It has the virtue of being free. The advantage of BibleWorks is that it's integrated; you can essentially search every single text in the BibleWorks database simultaneously. And you can do very complex searches, statistical analysis, etc. There's also Logos and Accordance, but BW probably has the best searching. It's overkill if you just want parsing, though.

Septuagint OT

I found two good free online resources here. One is John Barach's Greek Documents. Another is the TextCritical.net version. Both seem helpful.

Greek NT

There's an embarassment of riches here. The two Septuagint links above also have Greek NT sources. The TextCritical version is here. There's also a Perseus text.

Latin Vulgate

The Perseus text is probably your best bet, here. I should warn the Protestant, though, that the Vulgate does not agree with the Protestant Bible either in the inclusion of books (the Vulgate includes the Apocrypha - just had to needle you, MoreCoffee! ;-)]), or even in the versification (e.g., there are 151 Psalms). Someone needs to do a Protestant Latin Bible!

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I have a vulgate - it's modernised in a way ...

51ArVL%2B4KJL._SY492_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

For Catholics Psalm 151 is not canonical, nor is the Epistle to the Laodiceans, 3 & 4 Esdras, and the Prayer of Manasses, but they are included in the above edition.

Catholics teach that the canonical holy scriptures contain 73 books. This is so because the local councils in North Africa and at the See of Rome listed the books and they were ratified by the general council at Florence and ratified again at Trent.

The nice thing about the Vulgate in printed editions is that - even for one who knows no Latin - many of the Latin words are recognisable because English borrowed a great many words from Latin and French.

Ackbach

Religious Affiliation
Calvinist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I prefer the Clementine Vulgate, because it has punctuation, and is thus more readable to me, at least. I would recommend the 6" x 9" version, as it's a little more portable, despite having smaller print. I had an edition very similar to yours for a long time, until I lost it to mold. I like the Clementine much better!

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I have two printed Greek New testament editions. One from the American Bible Society (I think) and one from the Trinitarian Bible Society (they are a slightly odd group who have a KJV is best view of things).

51cflI8q0sL._SX349_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The Trinitarian bible society one looks like this and it has the advantage of being inexpensive.

41WhQxc3ffL._SY373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I use several Greek Grammars, including the one I used at university - I am not sure where it is right now, I hope I didn't lend it to somebody!

41pn4Ps77EL._SX378_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I also have the textual apparatus for the Greek New Testament (no image available, it is from the United Bible Societies)

Top Bottom