Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Do any of you good folk eat brown rice.

I've noticed that some batches of brown rice have an occasional husky grain that just refuses to cook in the alloted 45 minutes (in the microwave). These husky fellows remain chewy and tough even after cooking and are annoying to encounter. Can they be cooked into submission by extending the cooking time to 60 minutes or more?

Evil little grains!!!

:smirk:

Last edited:

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
I even have that with white rice or it gets fluffy. Solution: the Chinese restaurant around the corner.

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
I eat brown rice on the rare occasion. I know nutritionally it's better for me than my usual staple of basmati, but I usually choose the latter because it is quick to cook in a pinch and I do enjoy the taste more.

Now that you have mentioned it, I think I will soak some tonight for tomorrow. Just a little. I believe this answers your question about cooking time - you can greatly reduce it by soaking your grain first. Applies to dried beans, as well. It is better to pre-soak them to start them on the germination phase even if they are going to be consumed before they actually start to sprout. Soaking not only reduces cooking time but it releases certain elements within the grain/legume that hinder it's digestion if not soaked.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I eat brown rice on the rare occasion. I know nutritionally it's better for me than my usual staple of basmati, but I usually choose the latter because it is quick to cook in a pinch and I do enjoy the taste more.

Now that you have mentioned it, I think I will soak some tonight for tomorrow. Just a little. I believe this answers your question about cooking time - you can greatly reduce it by soaking your grain first. Applies to dried beans, as well. It is better to pre-soak them to start them on the germination phase even if they are going to be consumed before they actually start to sprout. Soaking not only reduces cooking time but it releases certain elements within the grain/legume that hinder it's digestion if not soaked.

Do you throw away the soaking water or just use it for cooking?

Stravinsk

Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Do you throw away the soaking water or just use it for cooking?

I usually toss it, because most of the time when I soak stuff - it's lentils, and sometimes other legumes or seeds - and not to cook, but to sprout (which requires periods of resting from soaking)

I can't see any immediate harm or detriment in using the same water used to soak some brown rice in cooking it. Except perhaps that the water may be a little dirty. Frequently dried grains and legumes are a little dirty when you buy them, which is why many suggest rinsing the grains/seeds/legumes briefly before soaking them. I usually don't, if I'm sprouting, because I need to rinse them once a day anyway during the sprouting phase.

MS140ukn

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
iam not fan of brown rice much. ive eaten it in the past. it has a slightly wheat, nutty flavor..but seems chewy in texture. i rarely eat any rice these days because of my diet restrictions

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I love rice

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Long grain white rice is cheap and convenient to cook. It is also rather useful and tasty when accompanied by yummy sauces :)

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes rice is cheap and easy, I keep a lot of it on hand just in case

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I bought some today. 2 Kg

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I have at least 50 piounds stored other than the house and about 25 here

Stravinsk

Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
I have at least 50 piounds stored other than the house and about 25 here

Just a suggestion - I used to think the "use by" label on packets of brown rice was just a legal requirement rather than something that was really necessary. After trying to sprout some brown rice way past it's use by date - and failing (it never sprouted and just started to smell after a time) - and also successfully sprouting newer brown rice - I realized that it does indeed have a shelf life - and if used past this time it is nutritionally poor and may even contribute to disease (natural oil in the germ going rancid) - so you might try to sprout some of your stash to see if it's still ok to eat.

--------------------------------------------

Contrary to what I said earlier in this thread - brown rice is becoming more of a staple for me now - especially since I've found brown basmati locally - and am soaking / sprouting nearly everything I eat now (if it's a grain or other seed type product like beans) - even my rice.

I also said earlier I didn't see the harm in cooking with the same water the grain is soaked in - but now retract that position as I've learned that the water used to soak contains anti-nutrients and is better thrown out rather than used for cooking as well.

I have recently learned that certain countries do things to certain seeds/grains to make them un-sproutable. This is criminal, imo, but if one finds that a bunch of fresh seeds/grains do not sprout - then vote with your purchasing power and never buy from that company again - and let them know, too.

Last edited:

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
brown rice has fats in it and the fats can go rancid after a while.

Top Bottom