Buddhist Beliefs

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
I like to look at a variety of religions and ways of life and find Buddhism interesting.

Here is a link that I found: http://www.religionfacts.com/buddhism/beliefs

Buddhist beliefs

Religious beliefs are important in Buddhism, but its central doctrines aren't necessarily the same as those of other world religions. Depending on the sect, Buddhist beliefs may include gods, ancestors, and the afterlife, but the most important Buddhist beliefs about suffering and how to escape it.

The Buddha himself was called the "Enlightened One." After he became enlightened, he taught that the way to eliminate suffering begins with understanding the true nature of the world.

However, the Buddha considered knowledge important only insofar as it remains practical. He rejected speculation about such matters as God, the nature of the universe, and the afterlife, urging his followers to focus instead on the Four Noble Truths by which they can free themselves from suffering.

Now I am not Buddhist and not trying to convert anyone to this religion. Just thought it was interesting to see how many others in the world practice a different religion.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
As in every other religion except Christianity, MAN has to be the one to do ____ fill in the blank, in order to achieve _____ fill in the blank. In Christianity we have God who does for us so that we can have eternal life with Him.

Buddhism does not have forgiveness for bad actions carried out. Isn't that sad?

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
As in every other religion except Christianity, MAN has to be the one to [have faith] fill in the blank, in order to achieve[salvation] fill in the blank. In Christianity we have God who does for us so that we can have eternal life with Him.

I do not know much about Buddhism but it seems to me that if I fill in the blanks according to the evangelical tradition it would look like the modification I made to your post shown above.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I do not know much about Buddhism but it seems to me that if I fill in the blanks according to the evangelical tradition it would look like the modification I made to your post shown above.

Faith is a gift so it's not something man does. Buddists have to work to achieve anything.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Faith is a gift so it's not something man does. Buddists have to work to achieve anything.

Faith is not something that human being have? You don't have faith?

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower

James, chapter 2

Especially verse 24.

Not a favorite passage in most churches, from my experience. Slams Saul/Paul's "faith alone" out of the water though.

Edit: This passage connecting belief and works also fits into the Trivium Method/mode of thinking and doing, btw. It is pointless to use Trivium if action is left out of the equation - since it is a vital part of it.

No comment on Buddhism - it's not a faith I really am familiar with at this point.

Last edited:

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

To clarify my previous reply I refer to the modifications I made in my earlier post.

As in every other religion except Christianity, MAN has to be the one to [have faith] fill in the blank, in order to achieve[salvation] fill in the blank. In Christianity we have God who does for us so that we can have eternal life with Him.

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
As in every other religion except Christianity, MAN has to be the one to do ____ fill in the blank, in order to achieve _____ fill in the blank. In Christianity we have God who does for us so that we can have eternal life with Him.

Here is a link: http://peopleof.oureverydaylife.com/buddhists-beliefs-forgiveness-3445.html

The core scriptures of Buddhism, taken from the teachings of the Buddha nearly 2,500 years ago, state the importance of forgiveness. Buddhism teaches the importance of a peaceful state of mind as well as a peaceful way of life. Buddhists believe that forgiveness is a critical step to achieving this peaceful state.

Unforgiveness
Buddhists believe that to not forgive gives rise to suffering. It is taught that those who cannot let go of a real or imagined wrong against them are unable to free themselves from hate and that they will suffer because of this. Hatred can, in turn, lead to more widespread suffering, and in turn, more hatred. According to the Dhammapada, “Those who attempt to conquer hatred by hatred are like warriors who take weapons to overcome others who bear arms. This does not end hatred, but gives it room to grow."

Forgiveness
Buddhists believe that atonement, as well as forgiving others as well as ourselves, is an important step on the path towards a better life and towards enlightenment. Giving up hatred and forgiving the harm done to us by others allows us to move on and to achieve peace of mind.

Forgiveness and Meditation
Buddhists see forgiveness as an important method, along with meditation, of achieving inner peace and right thinking. Many Buddhists have integrated forgiveness into their meditation, thinking thoughts of forgiveness towards others as well as towards themselves.

Last edited:

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
But you have to practice your faith and that is work, isn't it?

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
I was trying to show how there are parts of other religions that are kind of similar to Christianity in their own way.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
But you have to practice your faith and that is work, isn't it?

Practicing my faith is living it but not trying to earn it since Jesus earned salvation for me.

Matthew12

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I think the main difference between Buddhism and Christianity is that in Buddhism, people worship the teachings and learn from the life of Buddha, while in Christianity, people worship the teachings and life of Jesus Christ. On looking deeper, we will find that many teachings are similar and almost have the same meaning of life but are stated differently.
Also i found here more information about difference between Christianity and Buddhism - Christian Perspective, Christian Worldview and Buddhism – wp.essay

Fritz Kobus

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The relationship between faith and works is best expressed in Ephesians 2:8-10:

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them."

Nomad

Religious Affiliation
Hindu
No
I am not a Buddhist, however, I have read a lot of books on Buddhism. Based on my understanding I can say Buddhism is not a religion in the true sense, it is about how you live your life (a way of life). The Buddha opposed God's worship and emphasized practicing righteous ness. However, common people ended up worshipping Buddha and forgetting righteousness.

Top Bottom