Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
This is taken from a bible study by Pastor Lassman found here:
http://messiahseattle.org/education/aic/videos/lesson-3/

There is a video and the text I have is from the complete lesson but I can't find the updated link at the moment. This is a copy and paste of the study from part of that video in the link:

Angels: Good & Evil

1. At the beginning of time, God created a multitude of holy and might angels. What are the holy angels?

Psalm 148:2,5
2 Praise Him all, His angels, praise Him all His heavenly hosts.
5 Let them praise the name of the Lord, for He commanded and they were created.

Angels are not “eternal” in the sense that they had a beginning but they do have eternal life. They have not always existed because they are not equal to God; He created them. We are never told exactly when they were created, but some theologians believe it was Day 1.

They are invisible, powerful creatures differing in ranks of which we don’t know much about. The word Angel appears 169 times in the New Testament and means Messenger. Sometimes the word Messenger will even be used of human people but more often it refers to these spirit beings.

Hebrews 1:14
They are all spirits who serve God and are sent by Him to help those who are to receive salvation. (GN)

From this we learn:
The holy angels are unseen heavenly creatures who are constantly serving God. Their special duty is to be helpful to Christians.

1. There are many angels (Daniel 7:10, Revelation 5:11..there are many others)
2. They are powerful (Psalm 103:20, 2Kings 19:25…1 angel destroyed an army of 185,000 Assyrian soldiers)
3. The good angels are holy (Acts 10:22) God doesn’t allow anything sinful in His presence…my question, what about Satan and the book of Job?
4. They never die (Luke 20:35-36)
5. There are ranks or grades of angels such as angels and archangels, thrones and dominions, etc… (Genesis 3:24, Isaiah 6:2, Colossians 1:16, 1Thessalonians 1:16)

2. How are the holy angels helpful to Christians?

Psalm 91:11, 12
He shall give His angels charge over thee to keep thee in all thy ways. They shall bear thee up on their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone.

Matthew 18:10, 11
“See that you do not look down on one of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven.”

Luke 16:22
The beggar died and was carried by the angels into Abraham’s bosom.

Abraham’s bosom is Paradise or heaven. They didn’t carry his body because that was put in the ground. Death is the soul leaving the body so his soul was carried by the angels to heaven.

This shows that the angels not only watch over us when we’re alive, but when we’re dead as well!

Luke 15:10
“In the same way, I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”

From this we learn:
(A) The holy angels watch over and protect the Christian while he lives.
(B) (B) When he dies, they carry his soul to his heavenly home.

3. But there are other angels who are trying to prevent from ever reaching that home. What does the Bible say about the evil angels?

2 Peter 2:4
God did not spare the angels who sinned, but threw them into hell, where they are kept chained in darkness, waiting for the Day of Judgment. (GN)

John 8:44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

These 2 verses state that the Devil has been sinning since the beginning and did not remain in the truth. The “chains” in 2 Peter are not physical chains because the evil angels are spirits. It is used for us to understand that they are restrained in some way and being in darkness they are condemned with no chance of being restored; waiting for the day of judgment.

There are 2 words for Hell in the Bible. One is Hades and the other is Gehenna. Gehenna is for the last day judgment, it exists already but is empty because judgment hasn’t happened yet…it is the hell that will last forever. Hades is right now and is only for souls or spirits…Gehenna will someday have the bodies of unbelievers.

Jude 6
And the angels who did not keep their positions of authority but abandoned their own home—these He has kept in darkness, bound with everlasting chains for judgment on the great Day.

Some of these evil angels asked Jesus in the NT, We know who you are, are you going to judge us now? Because they do not know when Judgment Day will come.

Their fall was a sin of pride and rebellion which was also the temptation of Adam and Eve in the garden. They had free will just like Adam and Eve did in the garden. They were created sinless and had the capacity to sin…the good angels chose not to, the evil ones chose to. Now, each angel is sealed into his fate. They holy ones are called the Elect Angels in Timothy.

They know they are condemned forever, and still hate God, so to get back at Him, their plan is to take as many human beings as they can to Gehenna with them to hell.

Mark 5:9
Jesus asked him, “What is your name?” He replied, “My name is Legion; for we are many.” (RSV)

There are many evil angels but we don’t know how many good angels there are or how many evil angels there are because the bible never tells us.

1 Peter 5:8, 9
Be alert, be on the watch! For your enemy, the devil, roams around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour. Be firm in your faith and resist him. (GN)

The devil is planning one of two things. If a person doesn’t have faith in Jesus, do everything possible to make sure he remains that way or if a person does have faith in Jesus, do everything possible to make sure he loses faith. The evil angels don’t care how they manage this, whether it’s through tragedy (How could God do this to me?) or slowly drift away through other desires such as the love of money or whatever keeps a person away from God. Since the Devil is God’s enemy, he is our enemy as well.

From this we learn:
(A) Many holy angels sinned and so became evil angels who are forever rejected by God (the chief of the evil angels is called the devil or Satan).
(B) The devil is a cunning and powerful enemy who is intent on our damnation.

Devil means Liar. There are many devils but THE Devil is the leader of all the evil angels and is known as Satan which is a Hebrew term that means adversary.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
This is taken from a bible study by Pastor Lassman found here:
http://messiahseattle.org/education/aic/videos/lesson-3/

There is a video and the text I have is from the complete lesson but I can't find the updated link at the moment. This is a copy and paste of the study from part of that video in the link:

Angels: Good & Evil

1. At the beginning of time, God created a multitude of holy and might angels. What are the holy angels?

Psalm 148:2,5
2 Praise Him all, His angels, praise Him all His heavenly hosts.
5 Let them praise the name of the Lord, for He commanded and they were created.

Angels are not “eternal” in the sense that they had a beginning but they do have eternal life. They have not always existed because they are not equal to God; He created them. We are never told exactly when they were created, but some theologians believe it was Day 1.

They are invisible, powerful creatures differing in ranks of which we don’t know much about. The word Angel appears 169 times in the New Testament and means Messenger. Sometimes the word Messenger will even be used of human people but more often it refers to these spirit beings.

Hebrews 1:14
They are all spirits who serve God and are sent by Him to help those who are to receive salvation. (GN)

From this we learn:
The holy angels are unseen heavenly creatures who are constantly serving God. Their special duty is to be helpful to Christians.

1. There are many angels (Daniel 7:10, Revelation 5:11..there are many others)
2. They are powerful (Psalm 103:20, 2Kings 19:25…1 angel destroyed an army of 185,000 Assyrian soldiers)
3. The good angels are holy (Acts 10:22) God doesn’t allow anything sinful in His presence…my question, what about Satan and the book of Job?
4. They never die (Luke 20:35-36)
5. There are ranks or grades of angels such as angels and archangels, thrones and dominions, etc… (Genesis 3:24, Isaiah 6:2, Colossians 1:16, 1Thessalonians 1:16)

2. How are the holy angels helpful to Christians?

Psalm 91:11, 12
He shall give His angels charge over thee to keep thee in all thy ways. They shall bear thee up on their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone.

Matthew 18:10, 11
“See that you do not look down on one of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven.”

Luke 16:22
The beggar died and was carried by the angels into Abraham’s bosom.

Abraham’s bosom is Paradise or heaven. They didn’t carry his body because that was put in the ground. Death is the soul leaving the body so his soul was carried by the angels to heaven.

This shows that the angels not only watch over us when we’re alive, but when we’re dead as well!

Luke 15:10
“In the same way, I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”

From this we learn:
(A) The holy angels watch over and protect the Christian while he lives.
(B) (B) When he dies, they carry his soul to his heavenly home.

3. But there are other angels who are trying to prevent from ever reaching that home. What does the Bible say about the evil angels?

2 Peter 2:4
God did not spare the angels who sinned, but threw them into hell, where they are kept chained in darkness, waiting for the Day of Judgment. (GN)

John 8:44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

These 2 verses state that the Devil has been sinning since the beginning and did not remain in the truth. The “chains” in 2 Peter are not physical chains because the evil angels are spirits. It is used for us to understand that they are restrained in some way and being in darkness they are condemned with no chance of being restored; waiting for the day of judgment.

There are 2 words for Hell in the Bible. One is Hades and the other is Gehenna. Gehenna is for the last day judgment, it exists already but is empty because judgment hasn’t happened yet…it is the hell that will last forever. Hades is right now and is only for souls or spirits…Gehenna will someday have the bodies of unbelievers.

Jude 6
And the angels who did not keep their positions of authority but abandoned their own home—these He has kept in darkness, bound with everlasting chains for judgment on the great Day.

Some of these evil angels asked Jesus in the NT, We know who you are, are you going to judge us now? Because they do not know when Judgment Day will come.

Their fall was a sin of pride and rebellion which was also the temptation of Adam and Eve in the garden. They had free will just like Adam and Eve did in the garden. They were created sinless and had the capacity to sin…the good angels chose not to, the evil ones chose to. Now, each angel is sealed into his fate. They holy ones are called the Elect Angels in Timothy.

They know they are condemned forever, and still hate God, so to get back at Him, their plan is to take as many human beings as they can to Gehenna with them to hell.

Mark 5:9
Jesus asked him, “What is your name?” He replied, “My name is Legion; for we are many.” (RSV)

There are many evil angels but we don’t know how many good angels there are or how many evil angels there are because the bible never tells us.

1 Peter 5:8, 9
Be alert, be on the watch! For your enemy, the devil, roams around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour. Be firm in your faith and resist him. (GN)

The devil is planning one of two things. If a person doesn’t have faith in Jesus, do everything possible to make sure he remains that way or if a person does have faith in Jesus, do everything possible to make sure he loses faith. The evil angels don’t care how they manage this, whether it’s through tragedy (How could God do this to me?) or slowly drift away through other desires such as the love of money or whatever keeps a person away from God. Since the Devil is God’s enemy, he is our enemy as well.

From this we learn:
(A) Many holy angels sinned and so became evil angels who are forever rejected by God (the chief of the evil angels is called the devil or Satan).
(B) The devil is a cunning and powerful enemy who is intent on our damnation.

Devil means Liar. There are many devils but THE Devil is the leader of all the evil angels and is known as Satan which is a Hebrew term that means adversary.

Thanks MUCH! I appreciate the study and learned from it!

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The angels also help lead the worship in heaven. There are numerous references in Revelations about the angels worshipping God.

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
In Genesis God tells Adam and Eve to 'replenish' the Earth. Replenish means to "refill" 'again'... This implies that their was a former population that rebelled and made the world 'void' as darkness overtook the world.
The serpent had been stationed in the garden, this is what happened just after Lucifer fell. The gaps in Genesis are revealed through the bible.
Les Feldick had a really good bible study on this, its backed up by scripture and it even allowed him great detail into the Angelic abode and the rebellion of angels before the creation of man. He also teaches that there were two floods, the latter being the flood of Noah. I hope I can come across that video again. I'll look because its pretty interesting

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Last edited:

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
In Genesis God tells Adam and Eve to 'replenish' the Earth. Replenish means to "refill" 'again'... This implies that their was a former population that rebelled and made the world 'void' as darkness overtook the world.
The serpent had been stationed in the garden, this is what happened just after Lucifer fell. The gaps in Genesis are revealed through the bible.
Les Feldick had a really good bible study on this, its backed up by scripture and it even allowed him great detail into the Angelic abode and the rebellion of angels before the creation of man. He also teaches that there were two floods, the latter being the flood of Noah. I hope I can come across that video again. I'll look because its pretty interesting

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Les seems like a pretty good bible teacher. I'm surprised that he would engage in speculation that doesn't have much evidence. Even if it did happen that way, so what. How does that impact me now? Or is it just evidence of how clever I can be?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Les seems like a pretty good bible teacher. I'm surprised that he would engage in speculation that doesn't have much evidence. Even if it did happen that way, so what. How does that impact me now? Or is it just evidence of how clever I can be?

Derek Prince believed that too. Maybe because he kicked so many demons out. I'm not really convinced, but if someone can't believe 6000 years and 7 days and gets saved w GAP thats great.
https://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Evolution Hoax/gap_theorists_defended.htm

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
Derek Prince believed that too. Maybe because he kicked so many demons out. I'm not really convinced, but if someone can't believe 6000 years and 7 days and gets saved w GAP thats great.
https://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Evolution Hoax/gap_theorists_defended.htm
Getting saved, yes, is the main thing. SAVED.
Done deal.
But it's important to believe what the bible says about this subject of beginnings, too, and not bring in conjecture about a 'gap' 'theory' that goes against God's Word and what Jesus taught.

Otherwise, it's like the statement by a certain devil, 'Yea, hath God REALLY said?' ...casting doubt on God's Word. If the story of creation can't be believed, then what other doubts are there that may creep in, perhaps even causing ppl to not believe in salvation or believing one can lose their salvation, or that God doesn't love them, etc?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Actually the gap theory makes science and the bible make sense and come together.

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
Actually the gap theory makes science and the bible make sense and come together.

No it doesnt.
Science-falsely-so-called, maybe.
What you have is alot of theory from alot of unsaved men, who think their intellect has somehow evolved along with their evolution of pondscum.

And these things were introduced into some churches to feed mans need to explain some things he refuses to believe from God's Word.

It's very subtle, but opens the door to saying,

'Hmmm, let's have a look at what OTHER things we think dont make sense, and propose some new theories about that.'

Before you know it, here a little, there a little, and the Word Of God becomes just another of man's weak options among many (failed) religions and their books.

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
-

Last edited:

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
Lol, some ppl say GAP doesnt go against the bible. I wish they would say, 'IN MY OPINION it doesn't...'

Because when they state it like that's a HARD FACT, they make it as though they're the final authority on the subject, when there are millions of ppl that believe GAP DOES go against the bible, and can make a pretty good case from scripture about it.

(But, I know there's some chatforum ppl that will go against me no matter WHAT position I take) on pretty much anything, they'll just make a DELIBERATE CHOICE to go against me, for some reason, (unloving or antagonizing or whatever? idk) idk, but I think if I said GAP is not theory but fact, they would say NO, you're wrong, GAP is a lie ....

If I said you must speak in tongues, theyd say, NO, tongues ceased ....

If I said osas is from the devil, they'd say, NO, it's true.

Lol.....It's like, no matter what you say or believe, some internetters are just determined to argue or say the opposite against you.

Awww, well.
Whaddya gonna do....? :poke: :dunno: :hug2:

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The gap theory is based upon one word translated in the KJV. It's not very scripturally sound.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Neither is holding to the earth being 6000 years old when it has been proven to be much older unless of course you accept the GAP theory

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
I used to believe GAP until they found a dinosaur w soft tissue and said it was still billions of years old. Hmmm.....
Who cares? It's not a salvation issue.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I tend to agree. The only way these various creation POVs can be critically important would be if someone concluded that God did NOT create everything that exists. How he did it or how long he took isn't really critical.

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes
The gap theory is based upon one word translated in the KJV. It's not very scripturally sound.
I generally go KJV, nearly exclusively, really...I'm not sure which word you're referring to, but I never came to a GAP Theory from the Word of God, only some men's interpretation I read about somewhere, and it seemed pretty bogus, I agree.
(btw, thx Lämmchen, from before↑)

Neither is holding to the earth being 6000 years old when it has been proven to be much older unless of course you accept the GAP theory
I think Lämms point was that it wasn't 'scripturally' sound.
I'm not sure that 'scripture' has proven it to be much older, either way....Going outside of scripture then relies on mans theories, and opinions vary as much in the 'science communities' as they do in the 'religious' ones.
But opinions holding to a Gap theory are relatively minor, and dont seem to do much but cause doubt about Gods Word for some ppl.

I used to believe GAP until they found a dinosaur w soft tissue and said it was still billions of years old. Hmmm.....
Who cares? It's not a salvation issue.
Yes no it's not really a salvation issue. :wink: :disgonbegood: And that's cool...
But as was stated before, it's one of those things that can make some ppl doubt or question that maybe God's Word isn't so intelligent or reliable.

user1234

Religious Affiliation
Other Church
Marital Status
Separated
Yes

Hey look! ↑

Imalive put the Gap Theory in a post! :cheer:

Btw, is this where they came up with the slogan 'Fall into the GAP' ?? :disgonbegood:

I thought it was about pants. :spinningsmilie:

Imalive

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
I generally go KJV, nearly exclusively, really...I'm not sure which word you're referring to, but I never came to a GAP Theory from the Word of God, only some men's interpretation I read about somewhere, and it seemed pretty bogus, I agree.
(btw, thx Lämmchen, from before↑)

I think Lämms point was that it wasn't 'scripturally' sound.
I'm not sure that 'scripture' has proven it to be much older, either way....Going outside of scripture then relies on mans theories, and opinions vary as much in the 'science communities' as they do in the 'religious' ones.
But opinions holding to a Gap theory are relatively minor, and dont seem to do much but cause doubt about Gods Word for some ppl.

Yes no it's not really a salvation issue. :wink: :disgonbegood: And that's cool...
But as was stated before, it's one of those things that can make some ppl doubt or question that maybe God's Word isn't so intelligent or reliable.

And then GAP is handy. I rather have they believe that or evolution creation if that way they can get to know Him. Some people who have been to university don't buy Ken Ham. And if its 6000 years God can show em later.

Top Bottom