Getting through tough times and trials

kaynoel

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
As you guys know. My husband has lost his job. This has struck both of us very hard, although my husband handles things better than I do. I keep wondering what is wrong with me as compared to other Christians. I struggle so much with depression and anxiety. Sometimes I feel like I can't bear one more minute of this. My heart tells me that God has a plan, but then I get scared feel so alone and like things will never be ok again.

Can others here please tell me your best Bible verses, and what helps you get through trials? I seem to be living in constant fear.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I struggle with depresson also. One of my favorites is I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
How about Deuteronomy 31:8? It is the Lord who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.

I will continue to pray that things work out for you.

George

Tis Theos Megas
Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Praying for you and your husband. I'll see if I can find a really good Bible verse for you. :)

kaynoel

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Thanks guys.

I had a pretty good morning, but my afternoon has been anxiety-ridden. I will have to call my doctor tomorrow.

I really do appreciate the verses. God is always there.

Forgiven1

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Hi kaynoel, how are things this week?

Andrew

Matt 18:15
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
As you guys know. My husband has lost his job. This has struck both of us very hard, although my husband handles things better than I do. I keep wondering what is wrong with me as compared to other Christians. I struggle so much with depression and anxiety. Sometimes I feel like I can't bear one more minute of this. My heart tells me that God has a plan, but then I get scared feel so alone and like things will never be ok again.

Can others here please tell me your best Bible verses, and what helps you get through trials? I seem to be living in constant fear.
Wow this is me also... For as long as I can remember I have been very anti-social, anxiety ridden and bipolar. Now I realize that I am just an introvert, I see my depression as painful but livable and I know it could be sooooo much worse, I'm just a worried and sensitive man. I know the feeling you are talking about, how you know things aren't right but that God has a plan for you so you know he gives you strength. You know that at the end of the day you are right with God. Bad days are to be expected, reflecting on psalms always lifts me up.
Super retro bump thread btw!!!!!!! :) :) :)

MennoSota

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married

First, I am sorry for your struggles.
Second, you haven't done anything wrong. God ordains trials and tribulation for blessing, not for evil. (Romans 8:28 And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.)
I hope my story encourages you. Here it is:
10 years ago life was going great. Then my sister-in-law was diagnosed with a brain tumor and my younger brothers newborn was diagnosed with an incurable disease. My sister-in-law went through treatment, but on Labor Day weekend her husband, my older brother, had a fatal heart attack and died in her arms. My younger brothers son died in December of 09 at 10 months. In 2011 my younger brother had a girl. She had the same disease. Incurable. In 2011 I was laid off from a job that I loved. I was unemployed until 2015. In 2013 my brother had a third child. Same disease. Incurable. In June of 2013 my dad was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. He died on August 2, less than 2 months from knowing. In October my mother-in-law died from heart disease. In December my brothers son died. In November of 2014 my sister-in-law died from brain cancer. In March of 2016 my brother's daughter died from her disease.
We as a family were Christians. What had we done that God would bring this upon us? The answer...nothing. But, God gave the right for us to suffer anyway.
I read the book of Job...a lot. I saw where two grieving parents tried to resolve what was happening. In chapter 2, Jobs wife said, "Curse God and die." Job responded by saying, "Shall we praise God only for the good and not when the bad comes our way?" I saw how Job and his friends struggled with their theology. How could bad happen except that Job deserved it? But Job said he was innocent (and he was). God okayed the sorrow that Satan brought on Job because God would sustain Job's faith through it all. Job was to be blessed by the trial, not cursed.
I read the book of Habakkuk and saw his response to the horrors that were coming his way. ( Habakkuk 3:17-19 Though the fig tree should not blossom, nor fruit be on the vines, the produce of the olive fail and the fields yield no food, the flock be cut off from the fold and there be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord; I will take joy in the God of my salvation. God, the Lord, is my strength; he makes my feet like the deer’s; he makes me tread on my high places.) Could I, indeed would I, rejoice in the Lord, even if all was lost?
I read Corrie Ten Boom's book, "The Hiding Place," and she wrote, "I have learned to hold things lightly." I read CH Spurgeon and he said, "I have learned to kiss the wave that tosses me onto the Rock of Ages." I learned "In all things give thanks for this is the will of God." By God's grace I held on to faith.
God has brought me and my family through the valley of humiliation and through the valley of the shadow of death. We have wept grievous tears. We have kissed the wave.
God has placed us next to still waters for a moment. I am grateful. At the same time, I testify to you that God never leaves us and never forsakes us. I realize that if all hell fell upon me, I would still be eternally blessed because God has chosen to save me from my sins. He redeemed me. He reconciled me to Him. I am eternally blessed. If I were to lose every earthly possession and all whom I love, I would still be greatly blessed because Jesus has reached down and died so that I might live. What more can we wish for. We are children of THE KING!!! How awesome is that!!! What can man do to us? What fear can ever remove the glory of being a child of the King? Nothing can separate us from our God!!!
God promises that He will give you what you need. The budget may get tight. You may have to "hold your things lightly" and let them go. But God will never let go of YOU. He will bless you in your trials. I encourage you. Keep the Faith! God WILL keep you.
Also, surround yourself with a community of believers who will pray for you and lift you up. We are family. We walk the path together, not as lone rangers.
Peace

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Philippians 4:6-7 for anxiety
6 "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

Matthew 6:25-34 also for anxiety
25 “For this reason I say to you, do not be worried about your life, as to what you will eat or what you will drink; nor for your body, as to what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? 26 Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they? 27 And who of you by being worried can add a single hour to his life? 28 And why are you worried about clothing? Observe how the lilies of the field grow; they do not toil nor do they spin, 29 yet I say to you that not even Solomon in all his glory clothed himself like one of these. 30 But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, will He not much more clothe you? You of little faith! 31 Do not worry then, saying, ‘What will we eat?’ or ‘What will we drink?’ or ‘What will we wear for clothing?’ 32 For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. 33 But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

34 “So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

For refocusing on what is good and not focusing on the negative I try to remember this in Phil 4:8
8 Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.

Arsenios

Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Philippians 4:6-7 for anxiety
6 "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

Matthew 6:25-34 also for anxiety
25 “For this reason I say to you, do not be worried about your life, as to what you will eat or what you will drink; nor for your body, as to what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? 26 Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they? 27 And who of you by being worried can add a single hour to his life? 28 And why are you worried about clothing? Observe how the lilies of the field grow; they do not toil nor do they spin, 29 yet I say to you that not even Solomon in all his glory clothed himself like one of these. 30 But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, will He not much more clothe you? You of little faith! 31 Do not worry then, saying, ‘What will we eat?’ or ‘What will we drink?’ or ‘What will we wear for clothing?’ 32 For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. 33 But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

34 “So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

For refocusing on what is good and not focusing on the negative I try to remember this in Phil 4:8
8 Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.

I have a priest to whom I am eternally indebted, for he explained very clearly and consistently on the meaning of depression and great trials... And for that matter, even on those of somewhat lesser import. One person complained to him one day about what had happened that very morning...

"I was driving to Church with my 3 year old daughter strapped safely in the back seat when this MORON in a big VAN changed lanes right into MY lane and I had to swerve into the meridian in order to avoid a 70MPH accident on the freeway that could have killed us both. THEN, when I stopped leaning on my horn, he swerved at me again, and flipped me off, and was yelling obscenities at me... When I reached into the glove box to write down his license plate, he must have thought I was reaching for a gun, and he took off... I am still wanting to find him and straighten him out!!"

And this good Father asked him: "Well, you DO know what that incident MEANS, don't you??"

And he said: "Oh, God doubtless is trying to get my attention, I guess..."

To which the Priest replied: "It MEANS, my dear Brother...

It means, you see...

It means that, as you forgot...

As you forgot to do at the time...

It MEANS that NOW is the right time, you see...

It means that it is Time to Pray..."

So when it all goes south and despair and fear are your only companions...
There is a meaning to these companions...
They are angels of great Mercy...
For they are reminding you, you see...
That it is time to start praying...
Over and over this prayer to God:
"Oh Lord Jesus Christ...
Son of God...
Have Mercy on me...
The Sinner..."

And you can select another short prayer if you like...

And keep on saying it until you either fall asleep...
Or the messengers of Despair and Fear depart...

"Oh God be Gracious unto me a sinner...
And have Mercy on me..."

Is another one...

And remember, forgiving others is needed for you to receive God's forgiveness...

One prayer is not too few...

One hundred is not too many...

Arsenios

Top Bottom