... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
It's true that they treat women differently. I hate how condescending it can be because I know my car and I can tell them what is wrong sometimes but yet because I'm female I get the weird smile :(

I love it when people do that sort of thing to me. As a man it doesn't tend to happen in garages, which is ironic because I don't actually know a huge amount about the nuts and bolts of cars (but I know enough to keep them guessing, if I decide to act like I know more than I do). Sometimes I like to play a bit dumb at first to see if someone will try and fast-talk me. The ones that do, especially if it's an area I do know a lot about, usually end up wishing they hadn't.

Years ago I had some fun with a computer salesman. I was having a bad day and he was being just a little bit too pushy when I told him (more than once) that I was just browsing and didn't need his help. His first warning shot was that my current machine exceeded the highest spec computer on display and I was looking for something with more power. He didn't take the hint and pressed on. So I asked him questions going into more and more detail about the innards of the computer until he looked like a deer trapped in headlights, at which point he decided that maybe he would leave me to browse after all.

Sometimes it can be fun to act like I don't know much about what's happening but every once in a while throw in a very specific term, and leave people guessing whether I actually know what I'm talking about or just read something on the internet.

Top Bottom