dogs4thewin

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yup and how many of those waivers are because of a record
Well, between records, being overweight and other health problems that may or may have to do with weight in some cases histories of conditions will not allow people to serve even if the condition is no longer an issue some can be waived some cannot. As for how MANY are due to a record it probably varies by the service; since each service sets what criminal record will be accepted. For example, in the Marines a SINGLE use of weed requires a waiver; none of the other services are that strict with drug use.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Well, between records, being overweight and other health problems that may or may have to do with weight in some cases histories of conditions will not allow people to serve even if the condition is no longer an issue some can be waived some cannot. As for how MANY are due to a record it probably varies by the service; since each service sets what criminal record will be accepted. For example, in the Marines a SINGLE use of weed requires a waiver; none of the other services are that strict with drug use.
Used to be most would be accepted in the service, since they can be picky they have raised the requirements but I doubt that is the threshold that is acceptable. I know when I weent through basic they had a way to makwe people lose weight. They had what was called a fat boy squaron in basic and they ran everywhere they went, diet was restricted and by the time they got out of basic they were fit.

dogs4thewin

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Used to be most would be accepted in the service, since they can be picky they have raised the requirements but I doubt that is the threshold that is acceptable. I know when I weent through basic they had a way to makwe people lose weight. They had what was called a fat boy squaron in basic and they ran everywhere they went, diet was restricted and by the time they got out of basic they were fit.
They still have those, but today it is not weight that lands you there as you cannot ship if you too much overweight sometimes they will allow a pound or two, but it is based on whether you can meet the minimum reps of sit up push=ups and run a mile in a certain amount of time whether that your weight OR body fat percentage. ( which is what is actually used to determine whether you may join They use weight first because it is easier than messuring body fat percentage. .

Today if they put you in those things though you will not even START actual basic training until you meet the standards.

dogs4thewin

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Maybe because they can afford to be more picky as to making people get fit while IN actual basic.

keith99

Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Divorced
Just a note as well only roughly a QUARTER of American youth ( male and female) of draft age qualify for military service without a waiver.

Source?

My bet is it is only a quarter of those who want in qualify. My experience was Vietnam era but I'll bet things are not that different today, save for one little thing. I and several others I knew in school ended up having to go to pre induction physicals. The vast majority of the guys there fell into one of 2 classes, guys who wanted in that the military did not want and those who wanted to stay out that the military would be happy to get.

The one little difference is with no draft they now never even get to see the guys who don't want in.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Source?

My bet is it is only a quarter of those who want in qualify. My experience was Vietnam era but I'll bet things are not that different today, save for one little thing. I and several others I knew in school ended up having to go to pre induction physicals. The vast majority of the guys there fell into one of 2 classes, guys who wanted in that the military did not want and those who wanted to stay out that the military would be happy to get.

The one little difference is with no draft they now never even get to see the guys who don't want in.
It was not easy to stay out when we had the draft and for most it was good for them. It taught discipline and resonsibility, an ability to follow orders. All these things served people well when they entered the marketplace. Why do you think employers seek ex military?

dogs4thewin

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
It was not easy to stay out when we had the draft and for most it was good for them. It taught discipline and resonsibility, an ability to follow orders. All these things served people well when they entered the marketplace. Why do you think employers seek ex military?
I am looking for the page w with my source, but I have read that the ex-military most employers are looking for are junior officers (high level non-conmissioned or low level commission as a result a term of two to six years active duty they come up short ( particularly in the marines since they are stricter with advanced rank ( have source for that,too.

keith99

Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Divorced

No employer I have ever had looked for ex military. But then I've worked at jobs that actually required skill and intelligence.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Glad to see that you have such high regard for the people who allow you to voice these opinions and live in a free society

dogs4thewin

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Well, maybe so but even IF true since there is currently no drift (which at this point would be an awful way to get people anyway). They are really the only ones that MATTER.
As for seeking ex-military much of that is either high ranking non-commissed officers or low ranking commission officers, so if I got out after four years as an E-5 then while I may have some better luck it is not what you seem to be implying.

According to about.com who get their information from the Department of Defense from stats to drug tests to standards 27% percent of 18 to 25 year old could serve without a waiver.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/07recruiting.htm

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/intmedstandards.htm

http://army.com/info/usa/physical This one is from the army site ( which as the largest service is known for issuing the most waivers.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/armyjoin/a/criminal.-u59.htm Here are the links to the army's criminal history waiver requirements.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/airforcejoin/a/criminal.htm

These are the Air Force's.

Navy's

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/navyjoin/a/navcrime.htm

Marines

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/marinejoin/a/criminal.-um-.htm

As for the Coast Guard they are VERY strict.

http://usmilitary.about.com/library/weekly/aa122302a.htm

The above link concerns employment after the military.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/03/18/us-usa-economy-veterans-idUSKBN0ME28720150318 While the rate IS easing it is higher than non-military.

Homelessness

http://www.veteransinc.org/about-us/statistics/ Among these is that a THIRD of veterans are homelessness. You can tell that that is "real" as otherwise I would not think it would link to government sites.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Check government, and even a lot of private employers, in government you get extra points for being military therefore moving you up on the civil service list and giving a preference to vets and many employers also give preferenceto vets as well. Given two applicants who are equal in every way and one is a vet guess who will get that job.

dogs4thewin

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Check government, and even a lot of private employers, in government you get extra points for being military therefore moving you up on the civil service list and giving a preference to vets and many employers also give preferenceto vets as well. Given two applicants who are equal in every way and one is a vet guess who will get that job.
In terms of the government though the veteran must meet certain OTHER requirements as well. As for private employers that of course depends on the employer.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
In terms of the government though the veteran must meet certain OTHER requirements as well. As for private employers that of course depends on the employer.
Post Office is one that if you pass the test you get an extra 10 points. State civil service at least in this state does the same. As for employers, check some surveys that have been done almost all of them want vets

dogs4thewin

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Post Office is one that if you pass the test you get an extra 10 points. State civil service at least in this state does the same. As for employers, check some surveys that have been done almost all of them want vets
I did not say they did not go vets I simply said that what they did had nothing to do with government policy on the issue.

Top Bottom