Is eating meat ethical?

dogs4thewin

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes, but God also told us to take care of the Earth and the animals and humans have failed to do so. He did NOT put them on this Earth for us to abuse. This includes things like killing more than we need or maintaining the land in a way that animals can not live.
Animals were put here for us not the other way around. I see no ethical dilemma with eating meat

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Eating meat is not wrong because it is a product after death. However I believe that killing animals is wrong and there are also terrible conditions and it is just another big, big business.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Everything was put here for man and no it is not wrong to eat meat

dogs4thewin

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Everything was put here for man and no it is not wrong to eat meat
I did not deny that, BUT things were not put here for us to abuse. There is quite a difference. Nor was it designed that we would be the only animals. God created everything and expects us to take care of His creation.

Last edited:

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
And hopefully we do take care of it but meat is definitely a part of our diet.

dogs4thewin

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
And hopefully we do take care of it but meat is definitely a part of our diet.
As long as we do not take too much or abuse them while raising animals for meat I have NO problem with that.

dogs4thewin

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
The Bible tells us that animals are for our use. I believe eating meat is perfectly fine. I grew up on a farm, and all the farmers I knew growing up treated their animals very well. If you don't, you have sick animals and your farm isn't worth much and you would go out of business. Don't believe everything you hear about how cattle and other animals are raised. Farmers love their animals, and care very much about them.
I am not saying that all people who raise animals for meat do abuse them. I too, live near and grew up near several farms and they did NOT abuse the animals, but some do and I am just saying that doing that is not ethical.

MotorCityChristian

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
I have no problem with eating meat. How is it any better to take more vegetables that would typically feed animals and eat them yourself. Is that not taking away an animal's food source? I just don't see the big deal. Use what is being killed and don't waste it, yes. But thinning an animal herd is actually beneficially in most cases for the survival of a species. Unless it is endangered, why not eat it?

Pelikan

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
Genesis 1:28 covers it;

God blessed them; and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it; and rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”

dogs4thewin

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Genesis 1:28 covers it;
That does not mean we abuse that is my issue. You can eat meat, but do not take too much and if you are going to raise meat cattle ECT do not abuse them.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I have some vegetarian and vegan friends and they don't view eating meat as being ethical. I used to not eat very much meat growing up and didn't feel very healthy until I included more into my diet (yay for bacon). There was a movie that I had to show to the kids when I subbed about meat and the animal farms where they are overcrowded and not treated well. Is that the norm?

I think some animal processing plants are pretty dismal while others are much better. If you're willing to pay the extra you can taste the difference in the meat. I used to live a short walk from a butcher that was part of a small chain (I forget the name) where every animal was treated humanely, every farm was local and regularly inspected, and the whole thing was genuinely about animal welfare rather than just ticking some boxes that said little more than that the farm allowed a guy with a clipboard to come and tick boxes.

The meat was very significantly more expensive than just about anywhere else. The taste was superior, although many people (myself included after a while) concluded that the huge premium wasn't worth it for the improvement.

Top Bottom