Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
What is ESET and does it cost or is it free

ESET is an antivirus product. It does have a cost but I couldn't tell you what it is, the one and only time I bought it I was acting on behalf of a church which had charitable status.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Avast and Malwarebytes. I sometimes also use the MS anti malware thing.

I've 'upgraded' my operating system so needed to change to avast.

Biblicist

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Avast and Malwarebytes. I sometimes also use the MS anti malware thing.

I've 'upgraded' my operating system so needed to change to avast.
I use the ZoneLabs Security Suite which currently uses the Kapersky anti-virus database. Though your use of Malwarebytes is a good one which is something that I should purchase myself.

Lucian Hodoboc

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
I'm currently using Avira, but I've tried other antivirus providers in the past. My favorites so far have been Avira, ZoneAlarm and Kaspersky. Most antivirus vendors usually offer discounts during the holidays season, so if you keep an eye on their sites during that time, you can purchase a license for about half the regular price.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I'm currently using Avira, but I've tried other antivirus providers in the past. My favorites so far have been Avira, ZoneAlarm and Kaspersky. Most antivirus vendors usually offer discounts during the holidays season, so if you keep an eye on their sites during that time, you can purchase a license for about half the regular price.

I remember Zone Alarm! Wow, that was years ago that we had that. I forget why we switched over.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Things have changed for my PCs, now I use Microsoft's Windows 10 security features and nothing else.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I remember Zone Alarm! Wow, that was years ago that we had that. I forget why we switched over.

When I used Zone Alarm it was a really good product. Then it got taken over by Check Point and the quality dived almost overnight. From the time it upgraded to (I think) version 7 I counted down the days until my subscription ended and I dumped it.

I was really happy with AVG for a long time but then it started doing more and more annoying things. It would do things like throw up windows without warning asking for permission to restart the system. They were great when I was in the middle of typing something because before I even realised the window was there the keys I'd been pressing gave permission to reboot. Sometimes it would reboot without even asking me if I wanted to save my work, so the first I knew about it was when everything just shut down. That alone was enough reason to dump AVG.

Then I used Kaspersky for a while. It seemed OK but over time I became aware that my laptop seemed more and more sluggish. It shoudn't be sluggish, it's a beast of a machine. In the last week or so I dumped Kaspersky and went with BitDefender and the improvement in overall performance of my laptop is very noticeable. Kaspersky took so long even for a "quick scan" that I often found myself aborting the scan, which rather defeats the point of antivirus in the first place. It's not much use to me if it can't complete a "quick scan" in the two hours I'm using my laptop. BitDefender took something like 11 hours to do its first full scan and now the quick scan happens in the background and the only reason I even notice is because I've configured my notifications such that I see the little icon in the system tray.

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Using the free Comodo. No problems.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
When I used Zone Alarm it was a really good product. Then it got taken over by Check Point and the quality dived almost overnight. From the time it upgraded to (I think) version 7 I counted down the days until my subscription ended and I dumped it.

Yes! That countdown was so annoying. I remember that now.

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
I used Kaspersky a long time ago and recall having problems with it somehow. Glad Avira works for you!

hotrhymez

Rhymeslayer
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Windows Defender I think. It works I guess.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Just got to thinking last night how much easier my laptop is to use, how much faster it resumes from hibernation, since I dumped Kaspersky and put BitDefender on it. I'm thinking I can kick the cost of a new laptop out by at least another year and maybe more.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Using Kaspersky a "quick scan" could still take two hours or more. Using BitDefender I just ran a quick scan and it took 54 seconds. It's like I have a new laptop - the virus scanner really does just work in the background, rather than slowing everything down when it runs, to the point that there were times I'd abort it just so I could actually use my laptop.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Lucian Hodoboc

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes

What type of countdown? Did it show you a pop-up message or something like that? As far as I'm aware, most licensed antivirus software have some sort of tab in their user interface where they list the number of days left until the subscription expires. For example, my current Avira license (which will expire soon) has several tabs, one of which (called "Licenses") shows the expiration date:

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Not its countdown that was annoying, my own mental calendar of when I could dump the piece of garbage and use something else, without wasting too much of what I'd already paid.

Kaspersky helpfully reminded me how many days I had left, until my license expired after I uninstalled it. Then they sent me helpful emails ("Your protection expired seven days ago, why not renew now?"). Given how internet security products weave their way into just about everything they must have known I had uninstalled it rather than simply forgotten to renew my license. At least now they seem to have stopped emailing me.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Windows Defender I think. It works I guess.

From all that I can tell, it works as well as Kaspersky, Avant, and Norton which I previously had...and it's free with the computer.

benniebiark

Religious Affiliation
Calvary Chapel
Political Affiliation
Liberal
Marital Status
Single
What antivirus program do you use

Lol, depends if you use them for work related purposes at work or not., If not, more like skiver

Knows thats not true given how busy you always sound.... or is it?

Lucian Hodoboc

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Things have changed for my PCs, now I use Microsoft's Windows 10 security features and nothing else.
Judging by your username, I'd have guessed you use McAfee. 😛

Top Bottom