Whole lota shakin goin on

ValleyGal

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I have rekindled an old friendship with a woman whose beliefs have taken a very different path than mine. She is very, very conservative in her beliefs, and she is non-denom. She recently made a FB post that kinda surprised me because she asked a pastor his thoughts on someone shaking so much they look like their "head is going to spin off." The pastor's reply was that it's okay to be slain in the Spirit and to shake, but not the head, and no banging the head on the wall.

I wondered why he drew the line at the head... and then I wondered what makes shaking and being "slain" okay. Where is the biblical proof and what is the theology behind this? I have never been comfortable with any of that as it all just seems to me more based on some emotional high or some altered state of being. Didn't God say that we should be of sound mind?

Please, someone fill me in....

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
A lot of those "slain" are caught up in the moment and you can see people react in the same way at a rock concert. Why not the head? I haven't heard that before.

God is a God of order and delirium like such as is described when shaking and "slain" is not something you find in scripture.

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
Not the head? Weird.
I have seen a girl shake very much, even her head. It was from God. She was lukewarm and now she was doing intercession all the time. I heard as an explanation: try to put your finger in a socket. Daniel did that.
Then behold, a hand*touched me and set me trembling on my*[a]hands and knees.*11*He said to me, “O*Daniel, man ofhigh esteem,*understand the words that I am about to tell you and*stand*
upright, for I have now been sent to you.” And when he had spoken this word to me, I stood up*trembling.

But it can also be emotional. I've been to a service in Holland, years after the Toronto blessing and I never saw people manifest anymore in that church, but then all of a sudden everyone had to oooh and aaah.

ValleyGal

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
In addition to the situation with Daniel, does anyone know the theology behind the concept of being slain and shaking?

(I'm with you, Lamb, I do not think it's a matter of the Spirit moving, but rather the mentality of the moment)

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I've seen this verse used but it's ridiculous LOL

Matthew 28:1-4
Now after the Sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary came to look at the grave. 2 And behold, a severe earthquake had occurred, for an angel of the Lord descended from heaven and came and rolled away the stone and sat upon it. 3 And his appearance was like lightning, and his clothing as white as snow. 4 The guards shook for fear of him and became like dead men.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Why rediculous

pinacled

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
I have rekindled an old friendship with a woman whose beliefs have taken a very different path than mine. She is very, very conservative in her beliefs, and she is non-denom. She recently made a FB post that kinda surprised me because she asked a pastor his thoughts on someone shaking so much they look like their "head is going to spin off." The pastor's reply was that it's okay to be slain in the Spirit and to shake, but not the head, and no banging the head on the wall.

I wondered why he drew the line at the head... and then I wondered what makes shaking and being "slain" okay. Where is the biblical proof and what is the theology behind this? I have never been comfortable with any of that as it all just seems to me more based on some emotional high or some altered state of being. Didn't God say that we should be of sound mind?

Please, someone fill me in....

If the Head were wounded it would be a travesty beyond reckoning.

The shaking has only been tremors up till now. There are things to be seen that will test the faith of the entire world.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I've seen this verse used but it's ridiculous LOL

Matthew 28:1-4
Now after the Sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary came to look at the grave. 2 And behold, a severe earthquake had occurred, for an angel of the Lord descended from heaven and came and rolled away the stone and sat upon it. 3 And his appearance was like lightning, and his clothing as white as snow. 4 The guards shook for fear of him and became like dead men.
The gaurds were afraid I am sure not only of the appearance but also of the empty tomb and what it could mean for them

ValleyGal

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
Does this mean no one has any biblically sound theology on being "slain" and "shaking"?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I believe Acts describes that in a couple places one being those traveling with Saul when he was met by Jesus

ValleyGal

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
Thanks, Bill. I will check it out. I really want to understand where my friend is coming from....

Top Bottom