Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Don't be afraid to challenge yourself.

Drawing something that is complex can be scary! Here's the good news...no one has to see your finished piece. If you mess up at least you tried and probably learned a few things along the way about color, composition or perspective.

Sometimes the safe drawings are the most boring to look at. Get bold and don't be afraid to just do your art!

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Don't be afraid to challenge yourself.

Drawing something that is complex can be scary! Here's the good news...no one has to see your finished piece. If you mess up at least you tried and probably learned a few things along the way about color, composition or perspective.

Sometimes the safe drawings are the most boring to look at. Get bold and don't be afraid to just do your art!

Applies to many areas of life, whether the challenge be self initiated or unanticipated/unwelcome. :)

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Applies to many areas of life, whether the challenge be self initiated or unanticipated/unwelcome. :)

I think you're right!! It's like life is art itself :)

Stravinsk

Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
I hope you do not mind me posting this in your art blog thread, Lamm - please remove if you think inappropriate. I think it's appropriate, but our beliefs differ on this matter (on what is implicated).

In any case (for the sake of art): When drawing any scene that involves a heavenly body like the sun, and replicating what we actually see with our eyes in nature - it is important to understand the role distance plays, and how it can be accurately portrayed:

p_FDtp_HS.jpg

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Here is a video explaining perspective properly.

Stravinsk

Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
He uses a 3D computer generated model to prove his pre-determined theory?

Sounds like modern science to me. Use some fancy terminology then whip out the computer program and some complicated equations to 'prove' it's correct, without showing a real life application.

Anyway, except to say this - not going to argue with you in your thread, Lam.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
He's explaining how perspective works.

When I was in art school there were different ways to map out our perspective project and I got the teacher who had us use very long rulers and pieces of string that would cover half the room to get our vanishing points. He was showing us what the other art teacher who used a shortened version couldn't show to us.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I'm looking into making my own frames for some simple projects as well as for my nephew's shadowboxes he wants. My nephew went to Afghanistan and Iraq and brought back uniforms and patches and he would like them to be put into shadowboxes. When I looked at the pricing for the pre-built ones I was shocked. I told him they'll have to be hand built. I can probably do them for half the cost.

I used to have a mitre box. I need to find it or get a new one! I think the local hardware store will cut glass to fit but I don't know the cost of that. I think my problem is going to be aware of using archival quality materials. I'm not going to be doing this very soon but I'm in planning mode right now.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I want to put this link here in case any other members have animated gifs that they want to reduce file size but not image size:

https://ezgif.com/optimize

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
You can extend the life of your pencils/charcoals by using an X-Acto to shave away the excess to make a point instead of using a pencil sharpener.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
White isn't always just white.

I added an old piece of artwork today as my avatar of a sheep and if you look carefully you'll see that white isn't just always...white. I like to add other soft colors such as pinks, blues and lavenders to represent my greytones and shadows.

I just saw that when I uploaded the larger version of the art that because it came from my phone it is rotated. I can't fix that here so I'll leave it. I wanted everyone to see the colors anyway.

20170510_083801.jpg

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Looking at how other artists do their renderings could help you improve your own style.

I'm currently working on an ink illustration of my church building. There is a lot of detail and I might have to redo it in pencil if I make a mistake. I really want to stick with ink so I'm taking my time on this. Over the weekend I was in Pittsburgh and the Three Rivers Art Festival was going on. I saw some amazing artwork and took the time to study a woman's ink drawings of buildings. I have some new ideas on how I want to effectively render some of the trees that normally I would scribble as a gesture! LOL

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Don't be afraid to make your own materials!

I met up with a childhood friend last week and she told me she was taking a pastels art class! I was thrilled to hear it. Then she said they were encouraged to make their own pastel paper! Even better! I've never attempted to do that but after talking with her it's on my To Do List!

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
My art tip..... always accompany your project with a big glass of wine. Loosens you up, freeing that art spirit. Now, TOO much and you'll have a Picasso.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Should an artist be tipped?

I had never heard of it before! Usually a price is agreed upon when the art is commissioned and there is no need to give any more money. So, no, a tip is not expected or required. It's outrageous how everyone wants a tip these days but artists just want to get paid and sometimes that's a struggle in itself.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
A friend from art school made an amazing Halloween costume for a party over the weekend. She inspired me to do more 3D things creatively instead of sticking to drawing and painting and now I'm looking for ideas to make some things as gifts for Christmas. I might purchase some of the self-hardening clay and make Christmas ornaments. My nephew loves anything Star Wars so that could be fun!

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
A friend from art school made an amazing Halloween costume for a party over the weekend. She inspired me to do more 3D things creatively instead of sticking to drawing and painting and now I'm looking for ideas to make some things as gifts for Christmas. I might purchase some of the self-hardening clay and make Christmas ornaments. My nephew loves anything Star Wars so that could be fun!

sun catchers can be easy to make and good gift items to give also. I have done that before with some of the kids on my case load and they can give them as gifts to their parents.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I'm looking more into modeling this and painting it...maybe adding some fake fur for hair before the clay dries (before painting).

latest

NewCreation435

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I'm looking more into modeling this and painting it...maybe adding some fake fur for hair before the clay dries (before painting).

latest

I have a client who has ears like that. LOL

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status