Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Tip of the day: Don't drink the water you use to rinse out your paint brushes. I assure you it won't taste good :crazy:

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Tip of the day: Don't drink the water you use to rinse out your paint brushes. I assure you it won't taste good :crazy:

:rotfl: :crazy:

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I finally got a painting completed.

20180628_074324.jpg

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I like that Lamm you have talent at least to me who cant draw anything

popsthebuilder

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Looking at how other artists do their renderings could help you improve your own style.

I'm currently working on an ink illustration of my church building. There is a lot of detail and I might have to redo it in pencil if I make a mistake. I really want to stick with ink so I'm taking my time on this. Over the weekend I was in Pittsburgh and the Three Rivers Art Festival was going on. I saw some amazing artwork and took the time to study a woman's ink drawings of buildings. I have some new ideas on how I want to effectively render some of the trees that normally I would scribble as a gesture! LOL
How did the ink drawing come out. I love ink as a medium. It generally looks crisp and clean as opposed to graphite or charcoal.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
How did the ink drawing come out. I love ink as a medium. It generally looks crisp and clean as opposed to graphite or charcoal.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

It turned out very well. I would post it but I prefer to keep that information private since someone could figure out which church I attend and where I live since the church uses the art for its publications (web, newsletters, etc). Thanks for asking! :)

JSales

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
It turned out very well. I would post it but I prefer to keep that information private since someone could figure out which church I attend and where I live since the church uses the art for its publications (web, newsletters, etc). Thanks for asking! :)

Show us then delete it. Ain't nothing lasts forever on the internet right?

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
This is the latest portrait I did for my cousin's daughter whose cat passed away over the summer. It's done with pastels and charcoal.

20181107_131430.jpg

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
After having mail delivery services fail more than once this past Christmas, I need to keep in mind when mailing out future artwork to not just rely on Priority Mail. I did not have any artwork affected but Christmas gifts were delayed and lost by both Amazon and the USPS. I think if I use Return Receipt that the Post Offices and carriers are more mindful about the packages and they won't get damaged or lost in transit.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I'm working on a portrait of my 2 nieces and nephew for my sister. I'm really struggling with getting a likeness this time and I know it's because I'm only using photos I grabbed off of Facebook and they aren't the best detailed ones to work from. I think this might be my last people person portrait. I'm just not having fun with it like I normally do.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Using a fixative helps protect your artwork but be careful because you don't want to spray inside your house and the temps outside must be between certain temperatures and not too humid. I got lucky with my last piece that the temps were in the 50s (F) and although it was raining I was able to spray my art inside the garage. I kept the garage door open for a while to get the fumes out.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I never got into the rock painting craze that happened the past 5 years or so. So why am I getting started now? Well, my church group is getting a woman's group together again and I we MIGHT consider doing prayer pals where we pick a name of another lady and pray for her. My idea for the rock would be to paint a prayer rock that they could put in an obvious place in their home and when they look at the rock they could say a quick prayer for their prayer pal!

I just need to get started on this!

Yesterday and today I've been saving photos of other rocks for ideas and I want to make all different ones, no two the same. I have spray finish for them but will need the weather to be nice to spray them outside.

If the weather doesn't cooperate I will make a spray booth out of a huge cardboard box and spray the rocks inside the garage that way. I'll post pics once I'm all done but it will take a few months. I need to find a landscaping place that will sell me cheap smooth stones.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I collected some rocks about 2 inches in size from my landscape and the garden. They aren't smooth really so getting paint or anything to adhere is tricky. I saw on Pinterest that colored pencils can be used but it didn't work with my rough rocks. I then attempted to use my oil paints but one part of the rock must have its own oils because the color would not take! I would hate to have to spend money on smooth rocks especially since all my acrylic paints are dried up and I had to toss them in the garbage.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
These are the rocks I have done so far. I used colored pencil on them and when I'm done with all of them they will be sprayed with a gloss fixative. Each rock is around an inch to two inches so they're not very big. Since the rocks from my garden were very rough I found some rocks at the Dollar Tree store in a bag of 30 for a dollar. They had a waxy coating on them so I put them in a bucket with Dawn dishwashing liquid and very hot water and let them sit and the wax came right off.

rocks.jpg

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I printed out a photo of a cow that I took from a nearby farm. I want to do a charcoal art piece but my charcoal pencils keep crumbling and sharpening them while they crumble away is frustrating. I switched to the sticks and they're falling apart as well.

Cheaper charcoals do that but so do the very soft ones...and the ones that have been dropped on a hard floor.

These charcoals were a gift from a co-worker so I'd like to use them. I'm just screaming as I do it because I'm covered in black dust now :(

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I had so many issues with the charcoal pencils that I pulled out my X-Acto knife to cut away the wood and sharpen them. There is a lot more control in that method to protect the charcoal inside so it doesn't crack as easily.

I use a kneaded eraser to wipe away dust that won't shake off the paper. I don't rub it right away...what I do is form it into a shape that fits my spot and I blot it gently, re-kneading it until the area looks clean. Rubbing the area with the eraser my actually spread the charcoal more or push it into the paper making it look dirty.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I've written before about quality of your materials but wanted to go back to that.

When I colored my Prayer Rocks for the ladies church group, I realized that I shouldn't just use any colored pencil because the brightness of the color just wasn't there. I had to use my professional Prismacolor colored pencils and even though they're expensive, if you care for them (don't let them fall on the ground or the lead will break into little pieces inside!) they will last many years to come.

Some of my supplies I have had since art school which is fine as long as they aren't some paints that turn moldy. Inspect your supplies regularly and toss out the bad ones such as tubes leeching liquid or have burst open. Pencils, charcoals, and pastels won't spoil so they are fine to keep around until they get too small to hold...then you can buy a pencil holder. There are different kinds out there and it might change the feel of your grip but you'll get to the very end of your material.

My pastels are a set I bought while in Art School. So far I've never had to replace any of the chalks but am considering buying a new white piece in the next year. I have a white pastel pencil I'm using in the meantime, but the quality isn't as good as my stick pastel which brings out a great opaqueness and causes the highlight or pupil to just pop with a tiny dot!

Inks are another thing that you want to pay a bit more money to buy good quality. You don't want your art to fade so pay a bit more and save your hard work!

Top Bottom