Bad dogs or bad people?

The Fall Guy

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
There are certain breeds that are known to be aggressive. Do you think there are bad dogs or bad people who haven't taken care of the dogs enough to keep them from being bad?

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think a lot of people get certain breeds of dog as status symbols, and through their ignorance about proper socialization of dogs and canine nature a problem dog can result. I used to keep big dogs, some of which weighed more than me, but I made certain that as puppies they clearly knew there was only one alpha in the house. They could be eating a bite of filet mignon, but if I said "drop it!" they immediately did as directed. Dogs make great pets, but they still have a pack mentality and lazy owners can leave them thinking they are the alpha and that's where most problems arise, I think. :D

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I agree that it is all in the training and treatment. You can have a well behaved dog or you can abuse it and create a bad dog or just let it do what it wants which creates problems as well.

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Bad people. They train the dogs to be bad and fight and than they get the rep of being bad. :(

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
My dog is real good and I let her do what she wants. I don't believe in hitting them. She does listen to the word "no" which I don't say very often.

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
In Relationship
My dog is real good and I let her do what she wants. I don't believe in hitting them. She does listen to the word "no" which I don't say very often.

I don't believe in hitting them either...praise/rewards for the good, and a stern voice for the bad, and never use their name when scolding so they will only associate their name with positive circumstances and will be much more likely to come when called. :D

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
sounds like a really good dog, mine is good as well and I also do not believe in hitting an animal either.

Alithis

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I think a lot of people get certain breeds of dog as status symbols, and through their ignorance about proper socialization of dogs and canine nature a problem dog can result. I used to keep big dogs, some of which weighed more than me, but I made certain that as puppies they clearly knew there was only one alpha in the house. They could be eating a bite of filet mignon, but if I said "drop it!" they immediately did as directed. Dogs make great pets, but they still have a pack mentality and lazy owners can leave them thinking they are the alpha and that's where most problems arise, I think. :D

id agree with that scenario also ..

with 1 exception.. a lady on the news here some time back had a bull mastiff .not small dogs .. all was well and then one day it decided to do what male dogs do.. test the pecking order.
it spooked her and she folded .. for a few weeks it took mastery and she became very afraid of her own Dog . then it bit a visitor (being that it was now the alpha and the visitor was an intruder ) after that she called the animal control to have it removed .. nither dog nor owner was really "bad" . just a mistake in choice of bread for a lady of small build living alone .

ImaginaryDay2

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Good thread. I'm wary of Pit Bulls in general. I hear too many stories of this breed being raised by owners who train them well, but still the dog can turn easily. The breed just seems to be erratic as a general rule. In contrast, I had a friend long ago who owned a rather large Rottweiler, and this dog was the friendliest and most engaging dog you could ever meet. I don't think this dog ever met a stranger in her life. But he took great care to raise her and train her to be that way.

Top Bottom