Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Dear diary, Being 21:00 on Sunday 24th April 2016 I have a few observations to make about the day on CH and a remark to make about dinner :)

I had a very pleasing dinner. Vegetable stock powder, Rice & Risone, vegetables, and a bit of sharp vintage cheese melted into it. Very tasty. Filling too.

Also read some of the Prayer Book for Australia which is an Anglican prayer book used in conjunction with An Australian Prayer Book and the old Book of Common Prayer. I like many of its features. There is, within the Roman Rite a ordinariate called the Anglican Use which recently acquired a new Catholic Missal called DIVINE WORSHIP - THE MISSAL and approved by the Holy See. I do not think it is in print except for the altar missal. But some time in the next year or two it ought to be available for purchase on Amazon and Bookdepository. I hope it will be inexpensive. I would like a copy. Perth has one Anglican use parish. I would like to visit it.

The Age of Uncertainty videos on youtube are excellent but of low resolution - which is probably because it was a 1970s TV series. They provide some excellent commentary on economics and sociology. Good viewing and listening.

Last edited:

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Dear Diary, being 00:28 on Monday 25th April 2016 which is known as ANZAC day here in Australia (ANZAC standing for Australian and New Zealand Army Corps) it is a public holiday of fairly great solemnity. I shall, God willing, do my accounting work at the parish church and have a nice lunch with friends and then betake myself back home and have a nap. This is my plan but only God knows what will transpire as the day unfolds.

Right now I am thinking that it is time for sleep. I will, God willing, need to rise early and enjoy a nice warm bath before taking the rubbish out for collection and then heading off for work.

I wrote several replies in CH. I do admit to much frustration that facts once presented are so soon ignored or forgotten and people who in one post agree with a point in another post in the same or a different thread pretend that they never heard of the facts before and revert to their old views. Sometimes I wonder if they are playing games. But Charity demands a better opinion of my brethren. And if they forget perhaps patient instruction can, with time, remedy the forgetfulness. I would like nothing more than for my interlocutors to write what they really believe instead of hiding it or changing from one view to another as if one's beliefs had no more importance - or duration - than one's socks.

Time to close this entry until the time comes for waking and writing more.

Dear diary, what a day it's been ...

I had a very pleasant nap after I got home from church work. I slept for a little over two hours. Woke feeling quite good :)

Now, it being 19:15, I am watching "To Kill a Mockingbird". I like the film, it has a nice pace to it and the story is good.

Last edited:

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Dear diary, being a record of events on Thursday the twenty eighth day of April 2016 starting at 08:15.

Another cloudy day with rain likely.

I watched some amusing youtube clips. Several by Thoughty2 - an Englishman with a slight lisp who says Thoughty2 as if he were saying forty two :)

I shared the link with my nephew who also enjoys weird youtube science thingies.

I also cleared my email boxes - it is amazing how persistent advertisers are. I am still getting emails from Embarcadero software and it's been 16 years since I contacted them. One is thankful for spam filters :smirk:

Today, so far, I haven't had any theological insights to share in CH. Maybe I ought to take up politics :p

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Dear diary,

Being the 4th day of May in the year 2016 AD

I started reading/listening to George Orwell's 1984. It is amazingly good on so many levels. A true warning about the dangers of seeing the world through a lens corrupted by wickedness even if the wickedness is external. The youtube for the audiobook is here "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auwRj4Yru-E" and the text of the book is here "http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks01/0100021.txt"

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Alleluia! Christ ascends into heaven as Lord. Come, let us adore him. Alleluia!

It is the feast of the ascension today.

Readings from the vigil mass
First reading Acts 1:1-11
In my earlier work, Theophilus, I dealt with everything Jesus had done and taught from the beginning until the day he gave his instructions to the apostles he had chosen through the Holy Spirit, and was taken up to heaven. He had shown himself alive to them after his Passion by many demonstrations: for forty days he had continued to appear to them and tell them about the kingdom of God. When he had been at table with them, he had told them not to leave Jerusalem, but to wait there for what the Father had promised. ‘It is’ he had said ‘what you have heard me speak about: John baptised with water but you, not many days from now, will be baptised with the Holy Spirit.’

Now having met together, they asked him, ‘Lord, has the time come? Are you going to restore the kingdom to Israel?’ He replied, ‘It is not for you to know times or dates that the Father has decided by his own authority, but you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you, and then you will be my witnesses not only in Jerusalem but throughout Judaea and Samaria, and indeed to the ends of the earth.’

As he said this he was lifted up while they looked on, and a cloud took him from their sight. They were still staring into the sky when suddenly two men in white were standing near them and they said, ‘Why are you men from Galilee standing here looking into the sky? Jesus who has been taken up from you into heaven, this same Jesus will come back in the same way as you have seen him go there.’​

Second reading Hebrews 9:24-28,10:19-23
It is not as though Christ had entered a man-made sanctuary which was only modelled on the real one; but it was heaven itself, so that he could appear in the actual presence of God on our behalf. And he does not have to offer himself again and again, like the high priest going into the sanctuary year after year with the blood that is not his own, or else he would have had to suffer over and over again since the world began. Instead of that, he has made his appearance once and for all, now at the end of the last age, to do away with sin by sacrificing himself. Since men only die once, and after that comes judgement, so Christ, too, offers himself only once to take the faults of many on himself, and when he appears a second time, it will not be to deal with sin but to reward with salvation those who are waiting for him.

In other words, brothers, through the blood of Jesus we have the right to enter the sanctuary, by a new way which he has opened for us, a living opening through the curtain, that is to say, his body. And we have the supreme high priest over all the house of God. So as we go in, let us be sincere in heart and filled with faith, our minds sprinkled and free from any trace of bad conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. Let us keep firm in the hope we profess, because the one who made the promise is faithful.​

Gospel Acclamation Mt28:19,20
Alleluia, alleluia!
Go, make disciples of all the nations.
I am with you always; yes, to the end of time.​
Alleluia!​

Gospel Luke 24:46-53
Jesus said to his disciples, ‘You see how it is written that the Christ would suffer and on the third day rise from the dead, and that, in his name, repentance for the forgiveness of sins would be preached to all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem. You are witnesses to this.

‘And now I am sending down to you what the Father has promised. Stay in the city then, until you are clothed with the power from on high.’

Then he took them out as far as the outskirts of Bethany, and lifting up his hands he blessed them. Now as he blessed them, he withdrew from them and was carried up to heaven. They worshipped him and then went back to Jerusalem full of joy; and they were continually in the Temple praising God.​

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Dear diary, it being the fifth day of May in the year 2016 I decided to watch Becket a film about a man who was clever and corrupt yet who upon having holy orders thrust upon him became a defender of the faith and a martyr to it. A very inspiring story of transformation under the grace of God according to the secret purposes of God.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Dear diary, it is the afternoon of the 6th of May 2016 and I am watching a film called Lilies of the Field. It's old but quite funny.

I shall, God willing, see if I can find a TV series called The Ascent of Man from the 1970s. It was good as I recall. Worth a watch.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Dear diary, today is Saturday and I am planning to have a nice long hot bath!

I just finished catching up on the weeks news having watched Insiders and Q&A. I also watched an episode of Father Brown - Series 4 Ep 4 The Crackpot Of The Empire :)

It had to concluding jokes

What do you call a Bishop when he sleep walks? A romin Catholic

Why is Father Brown laughing? Mass hysteria

Answers shown in secret white :p

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Dear diary, I woke around 06:10 this morning (being 8th May 2016) having had an interesting if slightly jumbled dream about words that represent thoughts many of which are only fleeting and soon disappear but a few that last remaining to be read forever. Fancy purple clothing came into it, possibly something to do with Prince since he was so much reported upon in the past weeks, but with no apparent importance and then there were banging noises and what sounded like a chap saying bam bam bam ... I woke and wondered if the bam bam bam had something to do with Todd Bentley :bump2:

Now, at 06:29 I am typing and waiting for my pot of tea to brew properly. It looks nice and dark - almost ready for pouring.

I am wondering which mass to attend, 07:30, 09:30 or 18:00. My habit has been to attend 18:00 so I have accumulated acquaintances and friends in that one. But I know many people from the 09:30 mass too. 07:30 is probably too early for me to get ready and travel to the church.

thus are my meandering thoughts for this early hour and I sign off at 06:32.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Dear diary, it is the 13th and a Friday. Some folk think one ought to be afraid of Fridays that happen to be the 13th day of a month. Personally I don't see any reason to be.

Now, I had my morning pot of tea but no breakfast yet. What to prepare for breakfast?

Perhaps some peaches in natural yoghurt?

Yummy ... I also have some pitted sour cherries :)

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
Dear diary, it is the 13th and a Friday. Some folk think one ought to be afraid of Fridays that happen to be the 13th day of a month. Personally I don't see any reason to be.

Now, I had my morning pot of tea but no breakfast yet. What to prepare for breakfast?

Perhaps some peaches in natural yoghurt?

Yummy ... I also have some pitted sour cherries :)

Try some Dutch breakfast for a change.

vlokken_melk.jpg

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Dear Diary, It's now Saturday afternoon. The laundry is done and I am typing messages in CH. Such fun!!!

iBot

Droid Support
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
iBot has no laundry.

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yeah a nice cover for him

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Dear Diary,

Having just finished eating some natural pot set yoghurt with added peach pieces and being as a consequence amply satisfied it seems like a good time to talk with you again.

It's Tuesday once more. Cloudy and cool. Winter is coming. Time for pots of hot tea, cooked dinners, potatoes and meat and onions. Hot soups. All the deliciousness of foods fit for the cold months. And it is time too for the final tests of my new IRC bot. It shall be called Bible on one network, smirk on another, DeiVerbum on a third, and out of love for a friend who has been unwell for a while and whose spouse is recently deceased Biblia on a fourth. The bot is written in Python and currently is a remarkably short 164 lines long. It searches bibles, displays bible passages, and I have obtained a goodly number of bible translations for it to show. These are the translations it currently has:
  • GNB=Good News Bible
  • RSV=Revised Standard Version*
  • CEV=Contemporary English Version
  • DRB=Douay Rheims Bible*
  • KJV=King James Version*
  • ASV=American Standard Version
  • NWT=New World Translation (This is the 1984 edition of the Jehovah's witnesses' bible translation (available online). It's provided here for comparison with more acceptable translations)
  • ESV=English Standard Version
  • MSG=The Message
  • NJB=New Jerusalem Bible*
  • NAB=New American Bible*
  • PDT=Public Domain Translation*
  • NKJ=New King James Version
* Bibles marked with a * have the full 73 book canon while the rest have 7 less books in keeping with protestant traditions.​

It's commands are simple in form. They currently look like this
  • #rsv John 3:16-19 will display the verses of John's gospel chapter three verses 16 to 19 one verse at a time. The other translations are available by substituting their name abbreviations for rsv in the example. Thus #njb john 3:16-19 will display the same verses but from the New Jerusalem Bible translation instead of the Revised Standard Version.
  • #srsv "the Lord is our God" will search the Revised Standard Version bible for verses containing the phrase "the Lord is our God".
  • #srsv the Lord is our God will search the Revised Standard Version bible for verses containing the each of words the, Lord, is, our, God. All of the words must be contained in the verse for it to meet the search conditions.
  • #versions will display all of the bible versions currently available for display and searching with the bot.

In the coming weeks I will add some more capabilities to the bot, God willing.

The bot will be running on a nice little Netbook PC that my parish priest gave to me a couple of years ago. It has been running another IRC bot for the past two years. The other IRC bot was written in the Programming language Java by myself 13 years ago. I've keep it going but now I want something fresh so the older bot is retiring to a well earned rest.

The people on four networks have been using my bot for the past 13 years. It has served them well, I believe. May God grant that the new bot will serve at least as well in the future.

PS: the old bot is also being run by four or five other people on other networks. I provided copies of it to them so that they could run it in their own IRC channels on networks that I haven't been to.

Last edited:

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Update on his bottyness the bot. He's gained a variation on his search function. Now if the search yields 4 or fewer verses he'll display them :)

I wanted to name him Botty McBotface in honour of the UK voters who wanted to name a multiple million pounds sterling research vessel Boaty McBoatface :p

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Code:
__module_name__,__module_version__=("BOT","0.9.0")
__module_description__="Bible bot for displaying and searching bible textx"
print("\0034"+__module_name__+" "+__module_version__+" loaded\003")
import string,re,time
import xchat
from collections import OrderedDict
# module variables
cmdc=";"
fileName="./Apologia/resources/<n>.properties"
bold,underline,red=("\002","\010","\0034")
# get bible book names and then version names
bookName,versionName=(OrderedDict(),OrderedDict())
bn=fileName.replace("<n>","Biblebooks")
with open(bn,"r") as booksFile:
	for line in booksFile:
		k,n=line.split("=")
		n=(n.replace("\r","")).replace("\n","")
		bookName[k]=n
vn=fileName.replace("<n>","BibleVersions")
with open(vn,"r") as versionsFile:
	for line in versionsFile:
		k,n=line.split("=")
		n=(n.replace("\r","")).replace("\n","")
		versionName[k]=n
# helper functions
def displayPassage(version,book,ref):
	reflist=decodeRef(ref)
	chapter=reflist[0]
	first,last=(0,0)
	if len(reflist)==2: first,last=(int(reflist[1]),int(reflist[1]))
	elif len(reflist)==3: 
		first,last=(int(reflist[1]),int(reflist[2]))
		if last<=first: last=first
	else:
		say("passage reference: "+bold+ref+bold+" is incorrect")
		return 
	keylist=[]
	if book.lower()=="ccc": last=first # allow only one CCC verse
	if (last-first)>3: last=first+3
	for i in range(first,last+1):
		s=book+chapter+"_"+str(i)
		keylist.append(s)
	verses=getVersion(version)
	for k in keylist:
		try:
			ref=refExpander(k)
			say(bold+ref+bold+" "+verses[k])
		except:
			say("I could not find "+bold+refExpander(k)+bold)
def searchVersion(version,phrase):
	ss=""
	rePhrase=r"\b"+phrase+r"\b"
	verses=getVersion(version)
	foundVerses=OrderedDict()
	i=0
	for k in verses:
		verse=verses[k]
		foundlist=re.findall(rePhrase,removePunctuation(verse).lower())
		if len(foundlist)>0:
			foundVerses[k]=verses[k]
			i=i+1
			if i>10: break
			ref=refExpander(k)
			if i==1:
				ss="found in "+version+": "+ref
			else:
				ss=ss+", "+ref
	if i>10: 
		say(ss+" ... more than 10 found")
		return 
	if i==0: 
		say("I did not find any occurence of: "+
						bold+phrase+bold+" in version: "+version)
		return 
	say(ss)
	if i<5:
		for fk in foundVerses: 
			say(bold+refExpander(fk)+bold+" "+foundVerses[fk])
			if version.lower()=="ccc": 
				say(red+"because CCC sections are large only one is displayed")
				break
# utility functions
def decodeRef(ref):
	s=".,:-_"
	b="     "
	table=string.maketrans(s,b)
	r=string.translate(ref,table)
	return r.split()
def getVersion(version):
	bv=OrderedDict()
	bn=fileName.replace("<n>",version.strip())
	try:
		properties=open(bn,"r")
		for line in properties:
			v=line.split("=")
			k=v[0].strip()
			t=v[1].replace("\r","")
			t=t.replace("\n","")
			bv[k]=t.strip()
		properties.close()
		return bv
	except:
		bv["error"]="I could not find version "+bold+version+bold
		return bv
def refExpander(ref):
	book=ref[:3]
	bName=bookName[book]
	chapter=(ref[3:]).split("_")[0]+":"
	verse=(ref[4:]).split("_")[1]
	if bName=="CCC": chapter=""
	r = bName+" "+chapter+verse
	return r
def removePunctuation(s):
	table=string.maketrans("","")
	return s.translate(table,string.punctuation)
def say(ss):
	if len(ss)<400: xchat.command("SAY "+ss)
	else:
		while len(ss)>350:
			pos=ss.find(" ",350,)
			if pos!=-1:
				ssp=ss[:pos]
				ss=ss[pos+1:]
			else:
				ssp=ss[:350]
				ss=ss[350:]
			xchat.command("SAY "+ssp)
		xchat.command("SAY "+ss)
# callback functions
def parseChannelMessage(word,word_eol,userdata):
	sender,message=(word[0]," ".join(word[1].split()))
	firstchar=message[0]
	if firstchar==cmdc:
		cmd=message[1:].split(" ")
		firstpart=cmd[0].lower()
		if firstpart=="versions":
			ss=""
			for k in versionName:
				ss=ss+bold+k+bold+"("+versionName[k]+") "
			say("SAY "+ss)
			return 
		if firstpart=="help":
			ss=("SAY to display a passage type "+bold+";rsv John 3:16"+bold
			+" all bible book names are abbreviated to their first 3"
			+" letters, for example 1Kings is 1ki, John is joh, and so forth."
			+" There are exceptions: Judges is jdg,"
			+" Judith is jdt, and Philemon is phm")
			say(ss)
			ss=("SAY searching is done by putting a 's' in front of the"
			+" version name like this "+bold+";skjv God so loved"+bold
			+" that will find all the verses in the KJV containing"
			+" 'God so loved'")
			say(ss)
			ss=("SAY to display versions type "+bold+";versions"+bold)
			say(ss)
			return 
		if firstpart[0]=="s": 
			version=firstpart[1:].upper()
			if version not in versionName: return
			phrase=(" ".join(cmd[1:])).lower()
			searchVersion(version,phrase)
		else:
			if len(cmd)<3:
				if len(cmd)==2:
					if cmd[0].upper() in ["CCC","CATECHISM"]:
						version=book=cmd[0].upper()
						ref="1_"+removePunctuation(cmd[1])
						displayPassage(version,book,ref)
			elif len(cmd)==3: 
				version=cmd[0].upper()
				if version not in versionName: return
				book=cmd[1].upper()
				if book in ["JUDGES","JUDG"]: book="JDG"
				elif book in ["JUDITH", "JUDI","JDT"]: book="JDT"
				elif book in ["PHILEMON","PHL"]: book="PHM"
				elif book in ["RUTH","RUT"]: book="RTH"
				bref=book[:3]
				ref=cmd[2]
				displayPassage(version,bref,ref)
			else:
				return
	else:
		return
# hooks
xchat.hook_print("Channel Message", parseChannelMessage)
xchat.hook_print("Private Message to Dialog", parseChannelMessage)

Last edited:
Top Bottom