Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
A friend of mine questioned why I was fasting and asked what the purpose of it was. I said it is to physically refrain from things we enjoy in order to spiritually prepare ourselves for the coming of the Resurrection.

What do you feel Fasting is about and its purpose?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
It can be to get an answer from God, power, drawing closer

Alithis

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
A friend of mine questioned why I was fasting and asked what the purpose of it was. I said it is to physically refrain from things we enjoy in order to spiritually prepare ourselves for the coming of the Resurrection.

What do you feel Fasting is about and its purpose?

not that

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
IMO..... modern "fasting" is typically the temporary abandoning of something that is believed to be hindering our relationship with God.

IMO.... the best thing to fast from is sin, but....

IMO.... in the Bible (and it seems to me in the earliest church) often FOOD was what was abandoned (although obviously not typically for long - I know of few cases where people DIED of starvation BECAUSE they were fasting). And if food is something that is harming ones relationship with God, it might be good to fast from that.

I have proactively fasted twice in my life. Once, as a boy and still Catholic, I fasted from TV. I was watching way too much of it and gave it up for Lent. I didn't intentionally watch it at all for those 40+ days. And I TRIED to fill the void with Bible reading, prayer, Rosary, etc. All in all, it was a good thing, I think. Later, I "fasted" from the social internet.... websites (like this one!), Facebook, etc. I not only was spending too much time, but I was WAY over involved, too emotionally dominated by it. I have it up for Lent. Tried to fill in the time with REAL social connections and with Bible reading, devotions, prayer, study and church service. It was good.... and I never again got SO intertwined (in fact, I never really returned to facebook and stuff again).

IMO, fasting such as that CAN be helpful. But of course, it can also actually hinter our relationship with God if we become fixated on our "loss" (what we gave up) rather than God..... if we begin to think ourselves more worthy because of what WE did..... in those cases, it is a great harm.

Pax

- Josiah

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Fasting also outwardly expresses repentance in the heart and mind.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Your Easter is almost here, George! Has it been a good fast?

George

Tis Theos Megas
Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes

Rens

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
I used to do it when someone was sick or not saved, when I prayed for them.

*“Is*this not the fast that I have chosen:
To loose the bonds of wickedness,
To undo the heavy burdens,
To let the oppressed go free,
And that you break every yoke?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Fasting is a good discipline

visionary

Religious Affiliation
Messianic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
IT is amazing the things you discover about yourself, its desires, its temptations, its weaknesses, and your need for dependence upon God. Everyone should seriously set aside fasting time, to cleanse the body, cleanse the spirit, and cleanse the soul... it is a great reset button. BUT>>> without some serious prayer to open your heart to the way God sees you, and what is your relationship with Him... fasting becomes minor in its benefits.

Last edited:

Alithis

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
IT is amazing the things you discover about yourself, its desires, its temptations, its weaknesses, and your need for dependence upon God. Everyone should seriously set aside fasting time, to cleanse the body, cleanse the spirit, and cleanse the soul... it is a great reset button. BUT>>> without some serious prayer to open your heart to the way God sees you, and what is your relationship with Him... fasting becomes minor in its benefits.
Fasting is not to get nearer to god. You cant get nearer then the holy of holies where the blood of christ has torn the veil and made the way open.
fasting is not about self at all except that self be diminished and humbeld for the purpose of seeking the betterment of the suffering of others.
as david i think ,said..i humbeld my soul with fasting..
fasting is a state of mourning the absence of the good will of God and the absence of his life in a situation .it is as messy posted..to set the oppressed free etc.
we fast to seek the guidence of god for the best thing to do to aid the deliverence of another..

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Fasting is not to get nearer to god. You cant get nearer then the holy of holies where the blood of christ has torn the veil and made the way open.
fasting is not about self at all except that self be diminished and humbeld for the purpose of seeking the betterment of the suffering of others.
as david i think ,said..i humbeld my soul with fasting..
fasting is a state of mourning the absence of the good will of God and the absence of his life in a situation .it is as messy posted..to set the oppressed free etc.
we fast to seek the guidence of god for the best thing to do to aid the deliverence of another..
Actually it is about getting closer, one does not enter the holy of holies without first passing through the fire. Any who have done this will understand

George

Tis Theos Megas
Religious Affiliation
Eastern Orthodox
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Alithis, why did Christ fast?

Alithis

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Actually it is about getting closer, one does not enter the holy of holies without first passing through the fire. Any who have done this will understand

spiritualize it in relation to fasting

Alithis

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Alithis, why did Christ fast?

why do the scriptures say he fasted ?

that is to say - instead of entering a debate, let's "look at it [/I]", based upon what the scriptures state both in that instance and then aligned with everything said about fasting in the scriptures then aligned with the 3.5 year journey and task he is embarking on-remembering "who he is ' .

Last edited:
Top Bottom