USA "EVANGELICALS" - What's Behind the Huge Support of Trump?

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes

I caught a bit of news "analysis" of the Nevada causes last night, where Trump won about 45% of the vote. The part I watched was quite a lively discussion about "Evangelicals."

It was stated that the prediction was that Trump would garner lots of votes in the Republican primaries BUT that the "Evangelical" vote - so big among Republicans - would destroy him quickly. Cruz would likely be their choice: He is strongly Evangelical himself and the son of an Evangelical Pastor (who converted away from Catholicism - a plus there, too). He has always been strongly pro-life and pro-family. He quotes the Bible a lot. He's their guy! THAT was the prediction. Cruz was/is banking on that. Everyone expected that.

But, it was stated, in EVERY state - and in the polls of the states coming up - TRUMP overwhelmingly gets the Evangelical vote. Not Cruz. TRUMP. Now - it was noted - the SAME voters riled against Bill Clinton for his "indiscretions" yet the whole world knows about Trump.... his mistresses.... his divorces... his affairs. They don't care, it's just fine. And the SAME voters riled against Romney because he was once pro-choice and changed his mind but don't care that Trump was boldy, passionately pro-choice until very recently, giving HUGE donations to Planned Parenthood. They don't care. Doesn't matter. Trump's own life proves how he views marriage.... and he has publicly stated his support for same gender marriage (although now claims he's changed his view there) but Evangelicals just don't care. It doesn't matter.

Rubio and Cruz are the poster children for solid marriages, solid ethics, always BOLDLY pro-life, pro-family, active Christians. Evangelicals are shunning both (at least the majority of Evangelicals).

These pundents seemed.... puzzled.

I am, too.

What's going on, "Evangelicals?"

- Josiah

Last edited:

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
The fact is that this country is going down and it will be Gods choice to lead us for better or worse, we are seeing that now playing out but I dont think Trump will be the nominee

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The fact is that this country is going down and it will be Gods choice to lead us for better or worse, we are seeing that now playing out but I dont think Trump will be the nominee

Why do you think "Evangelicals" are going so strongly for Trump (say rather than Cruz... or even Rubio)? It's been that way in the past 4 elections... and it looks that way in the polling for the states coming up.

Thanks!

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Why do you think "Evangelicals" are going so strongly for Trump (say rather than Cruz... or even Rubio)? It's been that way in the past 4 elections... and it looks that way in the polling for the states coming up.

Thanks!
I think Trump speaks his mind, is never been in politics and that appeals to a lot of people. If it was someone with a different temperment it would appeal to me but he is a blowhard and egotistical and a bully. I could never vote for him.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I think Trump speaks his mind, is never been in politics and that appeals to a lot of people.

I think that probably is a large part of his appeal. He's not an establishment figure, which is good when people are sick of establishment figures.

If it was someone with a different temperment it would appeal to me but he is a blowhard and egotistical and a bully. I could never vote for him.

I'd agree with that too (hey, agreeing with both your points in the same post, how about that?). I think his solutions are oversimplistic, designed to appeal to people who want complex international politics reduced to soundbites and memes. I think Trump represents the worst kind of Facebook-style politics, simply because most political issues may reduce to a handy meme but the opposing view also reduces to a handy meme, and merely trying to make your opponents look silly because they object to the way your meme is phrased isn't a good way of conducting political discussion.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

I caught a bit of news "analysis" of the Nevada causes last night, where Trump won about 45% of the vote. The part I watched was quite a lively discussion about "Evangelicals."

It was stated that the prediction was that Trump would garner lots of votes in the Republican primaries BUT that the "Evangelical" vote - so big among Republicans - would destroy him quickly. Cruz would likely be their choice: He is strongly Evangelical himself and the son of an Evangelical Pastor (who converted away from Catholicism - a plus there, too). He has always been strongly pro-life and pro-family. He quotes the Bible a lot. He's their guy! THAT was the prediction. Cruz was/is banking on that. Everyone expected that.

But, it was stated, in EVERY state - and in the polls of the states coming up - TRUMP overwhelmingly gets the Evangelical vote. Not Cruz. TRUMP. Now - it was noted - the SAME voters riled against Bill Clinton for his "indiscretions" yet the whole world knows about Trump.... his mistresses.... his divorces... his affairs. They don't care, it's just fine. And the SAME voters riled against Romney because he was once pro-choice and changed his mind but don't care that Trump was boldy, passionately pro-choice until very recently, giving HUGE donations to Planned Parenthood. They don't care. Doesn't matter. Trump's own life proves how he views marriage.... and he has publicly stated his support for same gender marriage (although now claims he's changed his view there) but Evangelicals just don't care. It doesn't matter.

Rubio and Cruz are the poster children for solid marriages, solid ethics, always BOLDLY pro-life, pro-family, active Christians. Evangelicals are shunning both (at least the majority of Evangelicals).

I am, too.
- Josiah

Donald Trump voices all the prejudices and fears that the evangelical voters have so they prefer him to any religious talking evangelical politician who isn't prepared to voice all the prejudices and fears that Donald Trump does. It's quite simple, religion is for Sundays in church while prejudices and fears are for every day.

Alithis

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

I am, too.

- Josiah

i think some believers think you can change a nations morality by governance.
the problem is..the lord see's to it that a nation gets the leader it deserves.
under it all..i see a warmonger.
i also observe a hypocrisy.
the generalized state of the church is reflected in the hypocrisy
and the bitterness toward sinners is reflected in the warmonger..just my opinion

some so called christians are still concerned so much with creating some kind of heaven on earth that they have forgotten the word of god states he will destroy this earth with fire .All of it .they have set thier hearts on the things of THIS world and desire to "win" .. so trump looks like a means to an end .
and yet he may be the a catalyst to ww3 --hey thats extremist assumption haha .. but ..dont miss the point .

set you heart upon the things above people

Last edited:

Highlander

Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
i think some believers think you can change a nations morality by governance.
the problem is..the lord see's to it that a nation gets the leader it deserves.
under it all..i see a warmonger.
i also observe a hypocrisy.
the generalized state of the church is reflected in the hypocrisy
and the bitterness toward sinners is reflected in the warmonger..just my opinion

some so called christians are still concerned so much with creating some kind of heaven on earth that they have forgotten the word of god states he will destroy this earth with fire .All of it .they have set thier hearts on the things of THIS world and desire to "win" .. so trump looks like a means to an end .
and yet he may be the a catalyst to ww3 --hey thats extremist assumption haha .. but ..dont miss the point .

set you heart upon the things above people

The old saying is that "you can't legislate morality." While this might be true, the Democrats sure have managed to legislate IMMORALITY.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
They don't care. Doesn't matter. Trump's own life proves how he views marriage.... and he has publicly stated his support for same gender marriage (although now claims he's changed his view there) but Evangelicals just don't care. It doesn't matter.

This is a rather old thread by now, but the topic is never out of date, it seems.
pundents seemed.... puzzled.

I am, too.

- Josiah
The answer, though, is not so hard to come by. Evangelical voters are as smart and savvy as any other segment of the population, and they were aware that...

1. Cruz had no chance of winning the general election, and

2. Rubio has shown that he cannot be trusted.

It's rather simple. Nothing is gained by voting for someone who cannot win and might not even run a good race--the McCain and Romney campaigns showed that--and nothing is gained by electing someone who deliberately misleads the voters about what he'll do if elected. The Obama campaign showed that.

Trump was and is the antidote to both of those failings, and Evangelicals knew it.

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
They don't care. Doesn't matter. Trump's own life proves how he views marriage.... and he has publicly stated his support for same gender marriage (although now claims he's changed his view there) but Evangelicals just don't care. It doesn't matter.

This is a rather old thread by now, but the topic is never out of date, it seems.

pundents seemed.... puzzled.

I am, too.

- Josiah
The answer, though, is not so hard to come by. Evangelical voters are as smart and savvy as any other segment of the population, and they were aware that...

1. Cruz had no chance of winning the general election, and

2. Rubio has shown that he cannot be trusted.

It's rather simple. Nothing is gained by voting for someone who cannot win and might not even run a good race--the McCain and Romney campaigns showed that--and nothing is gained by electing someone who deliberately misleads the voters about what he'll do if elected. The Obama campaign showed that.

Trump was and is the antidote to both of those failings, and Evangelicals knew it.

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

These pundents seemed.... puzzled. I am, too.
- Josiah
Donald is a "strong man" with lots of bluster and heaps of twitter hot air so he is naturally attractive to folk who value long sermons and exaggerated statements about the weakness and puniness of one's perceived enemies. So "moral values" sink gently under the horizon - as is often true for televangelists too - and are replaced by the bright moonshine of verbal lambast against the "enemy". Donald provided the moonshine and the evangelicals drank it in. Now he is "their president" and they cannot divorce themselves from him without some huge scandal - for example if he were to proclaim on television that he had converted to the church of Satan.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
This is a "USA Only" thread, one for citizens of the USA

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
This is a "USA Only" thread, one for citizens of the USA

Nope, it is about the USA. You gotta learn these things mate :p

Albion

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Anglican
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Donald is a "strong man" with lots of bluster and heaps of twitter hot air so he is naturally attractive to folk who value long sermons and exaggerated statements about the weakness and puniness of one's perceived enemies. So "moral values" sink gently under the horizon - as is often true for televangelists too - and are replaced by the bright moonshine of verbal lambast against the "enemy". Donald provided the moonshine and the evangelicals drank it in. Now he is "their president" and they cannot divorce themselves from him without some huge scandal - for example if he were to proclaim on television that he had converted to the church of Satan.
Now, to return to being serious, the reason Trump won out over 16 Republican challengers and Obama's stand-in is because of two things.

First, there is personality, by which I do not mean the twitter posts, etc., but someone with a forthright political platform that wasn't presented in the manner of most politicians--half-hearted and/or equivocal. Republicans especially have a history of talking big but wilting and backpedaling as soon as the opposition and the Media start attacking. Second, the country had been so badly damaged by eight years of Obama that there was a feeling that a major correction was needed and that yet another career politician who probably would just "keep on keeping on" was exactly what we did not need at that point in our history.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
MoreCoffee,

I'm sure you have no reason to know or care about this, but in the USA, both liberals and conservatives (and people who have no opinions) OFTEN don't vote primarily on the basis of their moral values. Witness the majority of Catholics (one of the core Democrat Party elements) who automatically vote straight Democrat in spite of that party's obsession over pro-abortion. In the USA anyway, the RC Denomination is quite vocal about the importance of pro-life but Catholics vote for pro-death Democrats. You have no reason to know about that (being Australian) and I don't know if in Australia Catholics vote consistently for pro-abortion candidates, but that's been the case here since 1973 when abortion-on-demand became nationally legal. I would understand if you would condemn this among Australians (if such is also the case in your country) but....

The Democrat Party is beginning to lose its grasp of Catholics in the USA.. and Catholics are increasingly powerful in the USA. Today, fully half of the 50 US Senators are Catholics! But the Democrat grasp is revealed there - 16 of them are pro-abortion Democrats, 9 are pro-life Republicans. In the last presidental election, Catholics narrowly preferred the passionately pro-abortion Clinton over the pro-life Trump. Such is how US Catholics "roll."

IMO, Christians - Catholic, Protestant, Evangelical and otherwise - SHOULD vote in light of biblical morality. Truth is, many (if not most) of them don't. Not in the USA anyway. Not Catholics. Not Protestants. Not Evangelicals. True - some are "better" than others.... Members of the LDS tend to take moral issues very seriously and vote accordingly, it may well be the largest denomination where the members do what you and I feel they should. The LCMS also has a long, solid history of members voting on morality, but not as much so as the Mormons. But as a whole, Christians - including Catholic ones - seem to leave their faith and morality outside the voting booth in this country. I can't say about Australia (and wouldn't if I could since I'm not Australian and therefore it's entirely none of my business; the USA has trouble enough of its own).

- Josiah

Last edited:

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Don't evangelicals who campaign under the slogan of "moral values" vote according to their moral values or is that a sham that they put forward to fool gullible people?

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
MoreCoffee,

See post # 16

Confessional Lutheran

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes

I am, too.

- Josiah

Ah, American " Evangelicalism." In regards to Donald Trump, I think you'll find so many followers among the American Evangelical base because Trump has made it clear more than once that he was solidly on their side against the more secular- inclined liberals. I put " Evangelicals" in quotes because it really describes a movement that went full force with the Moral Majority in the 1980s. Evangelical outside of the quotes will generally be a description of the Gospel emphasis you find in Evangelical Lutheranism. His own private morality doesn't seem to factor in. He calls himself a Christian and publicly stands for the values associated with American " Evangelical Christianity." That's why his die hard fans will remain loyal to him, no matter how outrageous his conduct may be.

Last edited:

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Top Bottom