The Quran supposedly being good

whenpigsfly

Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Let me guess, the followup is to look at the books in the Old Testament where the requirements to execute homosexuals, adulterers, children who disobey their parents etc are listed, and ask how the Bible can be said to be good?

But sticking with the Qu'ran for now. From what I gather (not being a scholar of Islam by any means) my understanding is that Mohammed had two major phases in his life that corresponded with Mecca and Medina. I forget which way round things went but after one visit he preached a message of peace and after the other he preached a message of war. There appears to be a lot of division within Islam over which overrules the other.

Put in simple terms the early Jewish people had very simple rules and very simple justice - "if someone breaks the rules, kill them". The Jews have advanced beyond that now. Christians have left the bloodier aspects of the Old Testament behind in light of Christ's commands to love. Some would argue that Islam, being a much younger religion, hasn't had chance to evolve from the simplistic "kill them" solution to breaking the rules. Others would focus on the message of peace, and still others would compare the predicted Mahdi who will usher in an Islamic Caliphate to the beast of the Revelation.

I like your answer. In my thoughts, the OT had its bloody moments, but though I do not follow it, I can see your point about Jesus telling those who follow Him to leave all that bloody thoughts behind.

whenpigsfly

Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Pretty sure everyone figured the poster to be a troll just stirring the pot.

Most Islam does not condone the terrorist acts of the radical extremests. And the worship the God of Abraham. The Qur'an really is a book centered around justice and peace and GOD. Unfortunately many have been indoctrinated by faulty interpretation of the text. I have personally read the book, and though I read the bible speaks more, the Quran is the inspired word of GOD and pretty much mirrors the bible on almost all levels. The understanding in it is from a point of law.

Peace

Faith in selfless Unity for Good.

You really have no room to talk, your postings aren't the best either.

popsthebuilder

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You really have no room to talk, your postings aren't the best either.
Wasn't remarking on your post, so much as the seeming hit and run.

Faith in selfless Unity for Good.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I've not personally read the Quran - so I'll disqualify myself from judgement.

But it DOES concern me when people PRAISE it - as when the last "Pope" kissed it. What does THAT convey, especially since it is an ancient practice to kiss the Bible in the identical same way? What is being conveyed? And also when we note that no Pope has kissed anything from Protestantism. Does it mean that while the Quran equals the Bible and is to be affirmed by Catholicism, nothing Protestant is?

I don't know.

Top Bottom