Honesty Poll

Vote for your level of honesty

• People don't need to know my business so I lie to protect myself.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Alithis

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
But to say "I need to know your intent" then means we could end up endangering the poor girl if the guy with the knife lied about trying to help her. Yes, it's possible that he's the one who fought off her assailant (all sorts of scenarios are theoretically possible), but unless you want to try and verify what he says there and then you still end up with the decision to make whether to pass on correct information.

I agree with your comments about our own conscience, and I think in such a situation there's a good chance that whatever we did we'd spend some time second-guessing ourselves wondering whether we did the right thing.

In a more simplistic situation if someone asks if we have any plans for the weekend and our plan for the weekend is to attend a surprise party in their honor then to say that we don't really have any plans is technically a lie, to make out that we're just meeting a couple of friends is arguably closer to the truth but still isn't really true, but to spill the beans wrecks the surprise and destroys much of the work of the organiser of it. In that situation personally I'd have a perfectly clear conscience in saying something that, while technically not true, didn't give the game away.

I honestly don't think we can reduce all the complexities of life to a universal "truth good, untruth bad" concept.

nope .. we trust god he knows the day of our death to the second .. in nz a friend of some folks i know saw a similar scenario of a two people in a heated encounter .. he innocently approached ,becaseu im told he was just that sort of person ,to see if there was anything he could do .. the man -already enraged , turned on him and stabbed him on the street and he died -went to be with the lord -even this tragic situation is his victory in Jesus . though to the world it looks like a loss. they do not understand these things . death is never a loss for us in JESUS our lord .

we know in our god given conscience when we speak truthfully .. may we never quell that conscience . truth only sets free ..it never imprisons

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
nope .. we trust god he knows the day of our death to the second .. in nz a friend of some folks i know saw a similar scenario of a two people in a heated encounter .. he innocently approached ,becaseu im told he was just that sort of person ,to see if there was anything he could do .. the man -already enraged , turned on him and stabbed him on the street and he died -went to be with the lord -even this tragic situation is his victory in Jesus . though to the world it looks like a loss. they do not understand these things . death is never a loss for us in JESUS our lord .

we know in our god given conscience when we speak truthfully .. may we never quell that conscience . truth only sets free ..it never imprisons

I'm not sure I'm getting your point here. Are you saying we should just point a suspected would-be murderer to the spot his intended victim is hiding with little more than a shrug and an assumption that God will work it all out? If so, what would you say of the likes of Corrie ten Boom who hid Jews from the Nazis in Germany during the 1930s and 1940s?

Top Bottom