Vistors to Site

MS140ukn

Religious Affiliation
Non-Denominational
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
wondering.. have you considered topsitelist site? you can get more exposure for this forum

http://www.top-site-list.com/

a positive refreshing forum CH is.. a neutral site to escape to after dealing with all the drama and negative garbage on other forums.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
never heard of tops the list

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
wondering.. have you considered topsitelist site? you can get more exposure for this forum

a positive refreshing forum CH is.. a neutral site to escape to after dealing with all the drama and negative garbage on other forums.

I haven't been there before. I'll check it out, thanks!

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Good morning

Romanos

God is good.
Executive Administrator
Community Team
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes

Romanos

God is good.
Executive Administrator
Community Team
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes

I tried signing up CH on there, and there is not a Christian topsite to add it to. A bit surprising.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
In Relationship

The number of visiting members may still be relatively small, but I must say the level of participation from these members is outstanding! :thumbsup: I suspect the level of activity follows a quasi-quadratic curve with respect to the number of participants, so when we grow the number of daily visiting members, the level of activity will grow even faster. :D

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The number of visiting members may still be relatively small, but I must say the level of participation from these members is outstanding! :thumbsup: I suspect the level of activity follows a quasi-quadratic curve with respect to the number of participants, so when we grow the number of daily visiting members, the level of activity will grow even faster. :D

Amen.

And I think 27 shows growth. True, it's not an ALL TIME RECORD, but it shows growth.

And I too agree that the quality of posts here is generally very good.

Thanks for all you do here, Mark

- Josiah

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I check the "whose been here" list every day. As with today, I often see posters I REALLY like and appreciate, outstanding posters (I won't publicly name names). But then note they didn't post anything.... they came, who knows what they did, they left.... and didn't post anything. Our loss.

I can be too pushy, but I WISH there was some respectful way to find out why they didn't get involved, didn't post anything. I did put up a thread some time ago to sort of address that but I can't say I gleaned anything from it.

We have a very impressive list of members! And some poke their nose over here from time to time. I just wish we could get them more involved. It would be our great gain - as persons, but yes, also to the site and ministry.

FOR ME, it's two things.

1. I come to see sites like this as community.... my community. Yeah, it's the internet but I still tend to "bond" in a way with the folks there. I've been a WAY-TOO-ACTIVE part of maybe half a dozen sites since I was 10 years old (active at probably two or three dozen more - but never "bonding"). Been on staff at two of them. I come to know these people (or at least some sub-group) and see them as friends, in a sense. Even folks I seem to disagree a lot with (indeed, some of my most esteemed friends have come from such). When I've left sites (as I've left 5 now - the last two being CARM and CF)..... well, it's embarrassing to say this..... I've kind of grieved. I miss my friends. THAT said, as you know, I tend to avoid the "fellowship" forums and threads (no rebuke here, but I have non-internet means for that), but nonethess, do "bond."

2. I come to sites like this to learn. I'm a self-confessed theology junkie (I eat this stuff for lunch).... just a hobby in a sense, but a passionate one. I've ALWAYS been a junkie when it comes to learning. So, I'm attracted to forums where there are open, honest, real, meaningful discussions of theology, and especially where I LEARN things and where I get challenged (because I don't tend to change my mind unless it is challenged). I could go to a couple of Lutheran forums where I'd learn to "sing the song" louder - to have my CURRENT thoughts reinforced, but I'm not likely to get challenged there. Because I'm a former Catholic (and a LOT of my theology is rooted there), I tend to especially appreciate articulate, informed Catholics. And because I so respect Eastern Orthodoxy, I LOVE getting that perspective (but have found EO's very hesitant to share or discuss - to my great frustration). But I've had some very, very helpful and esteemed friends from a Reformed/Calvinist and Anglican backgrounds, too - much appreciated. And yes, I've changed a lot of what I think and do as a result of such discussions.

I have been .... frustrated..... by staff (usually admins) whose agenda causes them to be very political and to moderate excessively and inconsistently; sites with too many rules that are overly and inconsistently "enforced"; sites where real, open, honest (and yes passionate) discussions are effectively disallowed (at least to SOME) and were it degrades into a "Mr. Roger's Neighborhood" "Kumbyah" uber-relativistic, uber-emotional site. Happens a LOT. I've witnessed this take over sites - and destroy anything meaningful. It is in this that I'm especially positive about CH.... this is be best run, best moderated site I've witnessed (and I've witnessed a bunch since I was 10 years old). The kudos I give are not only sincere but enormously important IMO.

While I'm working to create growth at CH in meeting #2, IMO, this is the best site of this nature on the 'net.

- Josiah

Last edited:

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
In Relationship
I check the "whose been here" list every day. As with today, I often see posters I REALLY like and appreciate, outstanding posters (I won't publicly name names). But then note they didn't post anything.... they came, who knows what they did, they left.... and didn't post anything. Our loss.

I can be too pushy, but I WISH there was some respectful way to find out why they didn't get involved, didn't post anything. I did put up a thread some time ago to sort of address that but I can't say I gleaned anything from it.

We have a very impressive list of members! And some poke their nose over here from time to time. I just wish we could get them more involved. It would be our great gain - as persons, but yes, also to the site and ministry.

- Josiah

This is an issue for just about every forum out there, and is exacerbated by the proliferation of social media. I want to quote a post made by a member at another forum on which I participate:

Forums aren't what they used to be. I have met a lot of people who wonder why nobody is signing up for their forums. I think most forums are enjoying a lack of new members. It's not so much the software as it is content. Less active members = less content. You said you did a massive campaign on social media. I did too. Here's what happened to me. I had a flood of guest users that came and checked out the site. Zero registrations despite having the one click Facebook register setup.

I've lost several members to Facebook and Pintrest, here's why:

1. Most people on social media sites have no desire to be in a conversation, they want to click a box type a sentence, maybe throw up a pic and hit send.
  2. They have no interest in becoming part of a community.
  3. They have really nothing to contribute, they just want to look and go on to the next trending story.
  4. They just want to look at pictures.
  5. There is so much info available on the internet now that asking a question is pretty much obsolete. Thanks Google for knowing everything.
My son uses forums all the time to solve issues with his cars, trucks, and audio problems. He is the member of exactly one forum. Mine. He posted once to introduce himself to the guys. They responded and welcomed him aboard. To this day, he still don't know that because he never logged in again to check the board. This is the age of millennials.

My opinion is, if a forum isn't highly specialized in one area and on a niche subject, it will eventually go stale and either fail or just be a source of reading for the guy who happen to get a hit on google.

I think there is a lot of truth in what this user posted...beginning and growing a discussion forum is growing increasingly difficult to do. Not only are so many niches already filled by well-established sites that dominate all search engine results, but other online media types are more and more seen by younger users as the only way to go. They would rather draw others to their pages than go to a site and actually put forth the effort to be part of a community.

CH seems to have an ingredient that I notice is dwindling on many other sites...users who are interested in sharing of their lives with one another, even if it is simply to say what the weather is like, or what they are doing at the moment. While I feel good thought-provoking content is the meat of a site, member banter would be the vegetables, a nice compliment that can aid in getting members to participate. It adds a dimension to a site when we see that the other members on a site are real people with real lives to which we can personally relate. Both the meat and potatoes can attract new visitors to want to weigh in, and I think we are doing well in that regard.

I also see a great deal of effort on the part of our admins and other staff to make CH not only a good environment for discussion, but also to go beyond that to add events and features that users will find interesting and want to be part of.

I think as long as we continue to post good content, stay involved with one another, and never cease trying to improve, we will grow into a great site whose members will truly value. :D

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
30 in last 24 hours...

Romanos

God is good.
Executive Administrator
Community Team
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Yes

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
In Relationship

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
31 in last 24 hours!

Thanks everyone!

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
31 in last 24 hours. Back up to at least before the connection issue. Thanks everyone!

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Most of these are very active members too so this is really exciting :)

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Most of these are very active members too so this is really exciting :)

At 04:39 one ought to be inactive!

It is 04:39 where I live :p

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
Are you ever inactive though? :D

I hope I am when I am sleeping, but maybe I am not ... some say we do things in out sleep (burp and things like that) :p

Top Bottom