Should Homosexual Marriage be taught in Public Schools

Brighten04

Religious Affiliation
Protestant
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I just learned today that teachers in Broward County Florida public schools have been instructed that they all have to start teaching homosexual marriage to students K-12 effective immediately . I have never known public schools to be responsible for teaching about any kind of marriage. Should this be done? What about religious rights? I think they may be opening themselves to major law suits with this. What say you?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I say a sign of the times and just one more reason to home school.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I just learned today that teachers in Broward County Florida public schools have been instructed that they all have to start teaching homosexual marriage to students K-12 effective immediately . I have never known public schools to be responsible for teaching about any kind of marriage. Should this be done? What about religious rights? I think they may be opening themselves to major law suits with this. What say you?

I agree. I did not know that ANY public schools taught "marriage."

But I find it curious.... they VERY SAME liberal folks who scream "Separation of church and state! Can't teach personal morality in public schools!" are the very same to preach that public schools must teach THEIR new fangled ideas, THEIR new fangled "morality" and "philosophy." Why.... if a teacher teaches that 3 old ladies and two pet cats make for marriage and a parent is enraged, that parent should shut up! But if a teacher teaches that marriage is one man and one woman and parent finds that offense, that teacher should be FIRED! Oh the hyprocrisy of modern liberalism.... doing the very thing they insist shouldn't be done.

Sorry.

Pax

- Josiah

Alithis

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
the world will do what the world wil do .. walk in its self deceptive wickedness

we are in the world but not of the world and should also be doing what we do.. walk in the holy Spirit to do the will of the holy Spiirt .

Brighten04

Religious Affiliation
Protestant
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I agree. I did not know that ANY public schools taught "marriage."

But I find it curious.... they VERY SAME liberal folks who scream "Separation of church and state! Can't teach personal morality in public schools!" are the very same to preach that public schools must teach THEIR new fangled ideas, THEIR new fangled "morality" and "philosophy." Why.... if a teacher teaches that 3 old ladies and two pet cats make for marriage and a parent is enraged, that parent should shut up! But if a teacher teaches that marriage is one man and one woman and parent finds that offense, that teacher should be FIRED! Oh the hyprocrisy of modern liberalism.... doing the very thing they insist shouldn't be done.

Sorry.

Pax

- Josiah

So what are Christian teachers to do?

Brighten04

Religious Affiliation
Protestant
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower

I agree with taking kids out of public school and home schooling. I think it's a good option even if something like this was not happening.

And quite honestly, I don't think any person of any of the Abrahamic religions needs to argue the morality or immorality of such State recognized unions from a religious perspective. Without quoting a single religious text, it is obvious that:

- No homosexual union can continue human life without "borrowing" in some fashion from heterosexual unions/sexuality (adoption, artificial insemination etc)
- Human biology is obviously not built to accommodate it or sustain it.
- Disease, especially AIDS is more prevalent in those who actively practice it.

The forced indoctrination of children with regards to this is the worst. I don't have anything against 2 consenting adults doing what they do in their own privacy, having civil agreements for inheritance and stuff like that - but the label of "marriage" is a bit too much. Because with that label you get stuff like this - which in my understanding is what the goal of some has been all along - the indoctrination of children.

Teaching children that homosexual unions is natural, right etc is like teaching children that one can get the benefit of food for him or herself by shoving it into their armpit as long as everyone agrees. It is against basic biology and the order of things in our world.

Brighten04

Religious Affiliation
Protestant
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I agree with taking kids out of public school and home schooling. I think it's a good option even if something like this was not happening.

And quite honestly, I don't think any person of any of the Abrahamic religions needs to argue the morality or immorality of such State recognized unions from a religious perspective. Without quoting a single religious text, it is obvious that:

- No homosexual union can continue human life without "borrowing" in some fashion from heterosexual unions/sexuality (adoption, artificial insemination etc)
- Human biology is obviously not built to accommodate it or sustain it.
- Disease, especially AIDS is more prevalent in those who actively practice it.

The forced indoctrination of children with regards to this is the worst. I don't have anything against 2 consenting adults doing what they do in their own privacy, having civil agreements for inheritance and stuff like that - but the label of "marriage" is a bit too much. Because with that label you get stuff like this - which in my understanding is what the goal of some has been all along - the indoctrination of children.

Teaching children that homosexual unions is natural, right etc is like teaching children that one can get the benefit of food for him or herself by shoving it into their armpit as long as everyone agrees. It is against basic biology and the order of things in our world.

I agree. Jesus said it is better to tie a mill stone around your neck and cast it into the sea than to teach a little one to sin.

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
I only remember being taught about puberty in public schools when I was about 11. Kids are going to learn everything on the streets or tv and will then make their choices. I have nothing against gay marriage personally. We have a gay member in our family who is an extremely moral, nice man. I say it is none of my business what consenting adults want to do in their bedrooms.

Brighten04

Religious Affiliation
Protestant
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I only remember being taught about puberty in public schools when I was about 11. Kids are going to learn everything on the streets or tv and will then make their choices. I have nothing against gay marriage personally. We have a gay member in our family who is an extremely moral, nice man. I say it is none of my business what consenting adults want to do in their bedrooms.

There are gay people in my family too. But they were not taught that it is ok to be gay by the public school system.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

This sort of thing is always a bit thorny, trying to balance the secular nature of an education system that has to treat people equally regardless of their faith (or lack of faith) with the inevitable demands of parents.

Fundamentally if we figure that education is the job of the schools and the parents a lot of the problem goes away. Schools can teach things that are largely objective, parents can teach their preferred moral values and faith. I don't have a problem with schools teaching children what the world's faiths believe in but for the school to promote one faith over another isn't really appropriate - that's the job of the parents. If people start demanding that schools present their faith as preferable to other faiths they lose any right to complain if, sometime down the line, the school starts teaching a different faith as preferable to their own. Morality is a subject where schools would be better off presenting facts and letting children explore the implications and consequences of different decisions, allowing parents to present their preferred moral values to their own children. Again, if we expect Teacher A to present "Christianity" as the absolute truth (ignoring the fact that there are so many variations that could call themselves "Christianity") how can we claim any right to complain when Teacher B presents Islam as being the absolute truth and Teacher C from presenting Hinduism as absolute truth and so on?

The simple reality is that there are a fair few people in society who are gay, so recognising the fact within the education system doesn't seem inappropriate at all. It's hard to know what "teaching homosexual marriage" actually means. Is it letting children know that sometimes two men get married, is it presenting two men getting married as a morally acceptable situation, is it presenting two men getting married as preferable to a man and a woman getting married, or something else?

What should a Christian teacher do? Teach the facts, and be willing to talk about their opinion and their beliefs as and when it becomes relevant. Personally I'd really like to see religious education in schools include talks given by members of major faiths (and maybe less followed faiths, if adherents are available locally) about what they believe and why. It would give the children the chance to hear things first hand, let them consider the merits or otherwise of different faiths, and also overcome some of the problems associated with the media presenting other faiths as being Not Like Us. Muslims are the most obvious target of that sort of thing at present, for example nobody wants to demonize all men despite 99% or more of violent rapists being men, yet people demonize Muslims because a small number of them are terrorists - but when people don't see any Real Muslim People around them and the only exposure they have is the news outlets showing men with brown skin and beards waving Kalashnikovs around and burning flags it's easy to see how this group of people who are Not Like Us gets demonized. If people could meet and talk to a real Muslim, a real Sikh, a real Christian, a real Hindu, a real Buddhist etc they would gain a greater understanding of what other cultures are about.

popsthebuilder

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why would homosexuality or marriage need to be taught in the school system?

Faith in selfless Unity for Good.

Alithis

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

so you promote it ?

Alithis

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Why would homosexuality or marriage need to be taught in the school system?

it doesnt .. but as i said earlier the world will do what the world wlil do .. walk in it's self deceptive wickedness (which means do the will of the spirit of THIS world which seeks to destroy life and everything good .

But we are in the world but not of the world and should also be doing what we are to do do.. walk in the holy Spirit to do the will of the holy Spirit .

why some display the attitude that we are going to convince the world to change and approach it all from a moral or legal perspective i really do not know . it is fully a spiritual issue .
the world is NOT going to be saved .. but we must preach the gospel to ALL of it as a witness . and those who are saved out of it wil be saved .

what should a teacher do .. whatever the Lord tells them to do and if that costs them job ,family ,house or even life - then that too wil be given back to them 100 fold in heaven..

popsthebuilder

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
it doesnt .. but as i said earlier the world will do what the world wlil do .. walk in it's self deceptive wickedness (which means do the will of the spirit of THIS world which seeks to destroy life and everything good .

But we are in the world but not of the world and should also be doing what we are to do do.. walk in the holy Spirit to do the will of the holy Spirit .

why some display the attitude that we are going to convince the world to change and approach it all from a moral or legal perspective i really do not know . it is fully a spiritual issue .
the world is NOT going to be saved .. but we must preach the gospel to ALL of it as a witness . and those who are saved out of it wil be saved .

what should a teacher do .. whatever the Lord tells them to do and if that costs them job ,family ,house or even life - then that too wil be given back to them 100 fold in heaven..
Morality, on an all life inclusive level, is indeed of the holy spirit, as GOD formed all things in one way or another. Jesus came to give the potential of salvation to All. It d our duty as Christians to do all we can to help lead all, without discrimination towards the narrow path, for their sake, not ours. Will all be saved? That is not for me to know or concern myself with. Will any not learn of the salvation that is available to them, by my own will? No.

Peace

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

kiwimac

Religious Affiliation
Utrecht
Political Affiliation
Liberal
Marital Status
Married
so you promote it ?

Homosexuality occurs in humans at around the same 3-4% level in every generation. It is as much a part of God's scheme as heterosexuality.

Alithis

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Homosexuality occurs in humans at around the same 3-4% level in every generation. It is as much a part of God's scheme as heterosexuality.

nope ..that is simply sin passed on

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower

I doubt that could be statistically proven over multiple generations even if every single person on the planet was polled and answered honestly.

But even if it could, no statistical regular occurrence of anything necessarily makes it "God's scheme". What's the violent crime rate every year? Murder rate? Rape? Theft? Deaths in war? Abortions (legal or not)? Suicides?

Top Bottom