Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Is road rage a lack of morals as some have said before? And what is the point of it?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
More like a lack of control I think

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
I think it is misplaced anger. Taking all your anger out on someone on the road. I used to have it long ago but got over it. I got in some pretty bad situations, too, way back when.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I think some people feel as if they're more powerful behind the wheel and so when other people threaten to take that power (or control) away then it builds up until it bursts out. Some of the sweetest people I know have the worst road rage!

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Is road rage a lack of morals as some have said before? And what is the point of it?

I don't think it's the kind of thing people plan to do, more a case of the red mist coming down and people doing something totally disproportionate to the situation.

There seems to be more and more rage about these days. I suspect it's a combination of more expectations and less money to fund it, and people get ever-more stressed trying to live up to some external idea of "perfection" rather than deciding for themselves how they will live, and getting more and more agitated-annoyed-angry-aggressive towards anything that impedes their progress.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I think some people feel as if they're more powerful behind the wheel and so when other people threaten to take that power (or control) away then it builds up until it bursts out. Some of the sweetest people I know have the worst road rage!

I often found it interesting to see the different behaviors exhibited by motorists towards cyclists. I used to cycle around London quite a lot and the vast majority of motorists were considerate, giving me a safe amount of space when overtaking and waiting behind me until it was safe to overtake. Every once in a while I came across someone who just had to get past the guy on the bike even when it got them nowhere. One guy squeezed dangerously close to me in order to stop at the red light a second or two faster. It actually cost him time, because I promptly passed him in the dedicated cycle lane, and didn't feel much urgency to get my speed up as I went through the lights before him.

Another guy overtook me so closely I physically thumped the side of his car. I don't know what he was thinking but the fact he was close enough for me to do that gives an indication of spacing. Some people do feel that in their metal box they are all powerful and can't cope with anyone standing in their way. Frankly the few times I saw people obviously very keen to show me that their 400hp Audi was faster than a man on a bicycle I figured it said more about them than about me. I wondered if they proved how tough they were when out of their car by beating up kids in school or something.

For what it's worth most of the time I've seen people behaving aggressively behind the wheel it's been in the kind of situation where there's a specific target for the anger. If you're in stationary traffic that stretches as far as you can see there's no point getting angry about anyone in particular. If you're stuck behind a slowpoke on what could have been a much faster road there's a specific target for the aggression, so that specific individual is more likely to become the target if it all boils over. Which once again comes down to the question of why people are in such a hurry, or why they have come to consider their time to be so precious, that it's worth blowing things out of proportion because someone took up a little bit of it.

TurtleHare

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I have a friend who has such awful road rage and it makes me laugh but then again he only yells from his car and I could never see him going after anyone and doing damage at all. He apologizes for it all the time but I'm not sure if he's sorry that I hear him yelling or if he's sorry that he's in such a rage?

:drive:

Brighten04

Religious Affiliation
Protestant
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I think road rage is a number of things among which is first selfishness. Getting angry at someone in front of you because they do something not so bright does not help the situation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8GTHXTEvIc

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
I think road rage is a number of things among which is first selfishness. Getting angry at someone in front of you because they do something not so bright does not help the situation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8GTHXTEvIc

No getting angry at the others on the road doesn't do any good but it happens as some people on the road are doing stupid things when driving.

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower

It's probably not the same for everyone at every point in time. The last time I experienced road rage (my own rage, not someone else's)...I was living in the US, owned a pick up truck and was waiting at a red light intending to go straight through the intersection when the light turned green. Next to me, on my left, was a left turn only lane, and a car was waiting there. When the light to go forward turned green, the car to the left of me, in the left turn only lane, stepped on the accelerator, sped in front of me and cut me off, sliding into the lane I was in, instead of going left. I had to slam on my brakes to avoid rear ending him.

Intense anger followed and I chased him down the road, with the intention of forcing him to pull off the road so I could confront him physically. It was a mistake. I didn't succeed and he tried multiple times to have me rear end him by braking hard. After a few failed attempts I could see I would not get what I wanted and I backed off. Later, I remember telling a pastor friend what I had done and intended to do to the driver of the other vehicle. I was ashamed.

There is no good excuse for my behavior - the best option would have been to let it go - but I was very frustrated with certain things in my life at the time and tired of people who I perceived were walking all over me, so it was partly born of a desire to get even - to get even even with a stranger, who had, in my estimation, disregarded my safety for his own selfish ends. So not a lack of knowledge of knowledge of good morals or judgement, just a disregard of them at that time.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Problem is that people will do stupid things and we feel entitled to our anger but in truth it only hurts us, so hard to let it go but so necessary

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
it can be (and often is) demonic ..- deliver the person from a spirit of anger and you'll cure un-reasoned road rage .

I wouldn't say that every instance of getting angry is down to a spirit of anger, that path leads to seeing a demon behind every corner.

If someone has a habitual and ongoing issue with anger then I'd be more willing to accept a spiritual cause.

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Problem is that people will do stupid things and we feel entitled to our anger but in truth it only hurts us, so hard to let it go but so necessary

I used to have a road rage problem but don't let it get to me any more. I excuse people for doing stupid things on the road because I, too, may do something stupid while driving and I want to be excused as well.

Top Bottom