Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
I know that giving pets as Christmas gifts is a bad idea most of the time because of all the hustle and bustle of the holidays, but have any of you ever done it? Or plan on doing it?

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
I know that giving pets as Christmas gifts is a bad idea most of the time because of all the hustle and bustle of the holidays, but have any of you ever done it? Or plan on doing it?

No, I've never done it but my brother gave his son a dog many years ago.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Giving a pet is such a bad idea all round, unless you know that the recipient wants that specific animal and is willing to commit to looking after it for the rest of its life (and can reasonably expect to have the means to look after it).

I must admit I get really sick of people who dump animals because they got bored of them, or because they needed to see the vet or whatever else. It's one thing to find yourself in a situation where you have to very reluctantly say goodbye to a much loved pet but when you see people getting rid of one animal because of some issue only to get another, and another, and another, it's difficult to have much patience with them.

If you're getting a pet for a child the chances are you're dumping that burden on the parents, unless the child is mature enough to understand that little Tiddles is a long term commitment.

Brighten04

Religious Affiliation
Protestant
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I have never given a pet. I have had pets in the past that people gave me, but,I have never given one.

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Never got a pet for Christmas but would love one. ;)

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Usually not a good idea unless you know that person well and know they are seeking a pet

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
How about parents of young children? Have you considered getting a pet for the kids for Christmas?

TurtleHare

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I have no problem getting a pet gift for my child at Christmas and I know it would be fun and they would enjoy it a lot. I don't know how I can work and take care of the poor creature though so this would have to wait until they are older to care of them after school.

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes
How about parents of young children? Have you considered getting a pet for the kids for Christmas?

I would make sure the kids are responsible enough to take care of a pet before getting one.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I would make sure the kids are responsible enough to take care of a pet before getting one.

That's true. And think of size of the pets too! I had a friend when I was a child whose little sister squeezed her hamster too hard :( Oopsie

Krissy Cakes

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Married
Yes
That's true. And think of size of the pets too! I had a friend when I was a child whose little sister squeezed her hamster too hard :( Oopsie

Thats true.

Aww so sad. Poor hamster. :(

ValleyGal

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
My wonderful husband gave me an early Christmas gift - a 4 month old puppy named Willie. I've been browsing local pet ads and the Petfinder website, and now and then I will show him one that I'd love to have. For one of them, I even asked him to contact the rescue agency.

One day I was at work, and found a local ad, no picture, and I forwarded it to IDay. He contacted the lady and they corresponded for a day or two. The lady chose us out of 28 respondents. I went with IDay to pick Willie up, because puppies bond best with the one who is it's "first" (first to hold, first to speak, first to feed and water, first to .... so along I went and was the first. IDay got a dog for me for Christmas...along with obedience training. Puppies are a LOT of work and I am exhausted! So if you are thinking about getting a puppy for someone for Christmas, make sure it is something that they really, really want and can commit to. Like another poster said, I too, am sick of people getting puppies only to find out they didn't really want them or can't look after them after all.

At the very least, discuss the purchase with the family and involve them in the process. If you want to give a puppy to someone for Christmas, my suggestion is to give them a puppy stuffie, ceramic or carving, along with a note that the real gift is a real pup.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Photos please of Willie!!

YES, puppies are so much work!! I'm not so sure I ever want to go through that again. Keep up your energy and I hope you get a lot of sleep!

ValleyGal

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
Dec 2015_2.jpgDec 13 2015.jpg

He's having a quiet day. Usually he's going so fast all my pics come out really blurry. I think he has ADHD, and since he barks when things are not in their proper spot, I wonder if he has a little OCD too.

Photos please of Willie!!

YES, puppies are so much work!! I'm not so sure I ever want to go through that again. Keep up your energy and I hope you get a lot of sleep!

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
He's a little cutie! He looks so sweet and innocent too :)

ValleyGal

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Yes
lol.... deceptive little guy to look innocent when he's a little mischief maker!

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
lol.... deceptive little guy to look innocent when he's a little mischief maker!

Oh no!! Not a guilty bone in his body? Watch out for him! LOL

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Top Bottom