Member & Staff Discussion of "Haven" and site foundations

Brighten04

Religious Affiliation
Protestant
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
How has this site been undermined by non-Christians?

The site itself has not been challenged. But I think calling the site Christianity Haven is a more of a relative thing. I like discussion and debate as well as anybody. But when I think of a haven, I think of a place of harmony. The Bible says how can two people walk together unless they agree. Of course some do not agree with this. But that is fine. That is why I say calling the site Christianity Haven is relative. That is just my 2 pennies. I like the site, but, like I said you asked.I started to keep this opinion to myself and not post my thoughts at all. But, I decided that not posting would not help to improve the site.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
The site itself has not been challenged. But I think calling the site Christianity Haven is a more of a relative thing. I like discussion and debate as well as anybody. But when I think of a haven, I think of a place of harmony. The Bible says how can two people walk together unless they agree. Of course some do not agree with this. But that is fine. That is why I say calling the site Christianity Haven is relative. That is just my 2 pennies. I like the site, but, like I said you asked.I started to keep this opinion to myself and not post my thoughts at all. But, I decided that not posting would not help to improve the site.

So, you're saying it's not a haven because we're sinful human beings who don't always get along? Isn't that how it's been since Genesis though?

The site name is not going to change.

How can the members here make this more of a haven then? It's the members who make up the site.

Brighten04

Religious Affiliation
Protestant
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
So, you're saying it's not a haven because we're sinful human beings who don't always get along? Isn't that how it's been since Genesis though?

The site name is not going to change.

How can the members here make this more of a haven then? It's the members who make up the site.

OK so what is your idea of a haven for Christians? Honestly,the only way it could truly be a any type of haven is to elevate certain forums like the off topic areas and chat. and avoid theological discussions as much as possible.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
The only suggestion I have is that if someone doesn't want their views challenged, don't post them.
Or else change some posting styles perhaps?

Hammster

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
OK so what is your idea of a haven for Christians? Honestly,the only way it could truly be a any type of haven is to elevate certain forums like the off topic areas and chat. and avoid theological discussions as much as possible.

I did not come up with the name but I do believe that there are people expecting more of this place than any human could ever possibly make it. This site is a Christian message board. We come here for fellowship, discussion, prayer, etc. It is the members who can make or break it.

So far we have been doing very well. Yes, there are members who are rude. I have a feeling they are reading this and thinking I'm referring to someone else. Yet, every single one of us has room for improvement.

There are tons of other Christian message boards out there as Josiah pointed out. We are trying to make this one a nice place to be. The members are key in providing that. Moderating, no moderating, over-moderating, none of that is as important as the members.

I've heard people suggesting banning members. I personally have not seen any member here yet who is worthy of a ban. There is the potential for thread bans and the site leaders are now discussing that as an option for some members who cannot calm themselves down, step away from the computer and then return to discuss without having to throw out an insult.

We are also working on something new that I haven't found on any other site. I don't think Romanos would mind my announcing what's in our plan now that we are at this juncture.

What we have in plan is to have something added to a member's post-bit (the area where your information can be seen within a thread) where if that member steps WAY out of line, another member can anonymously "flag" the post. The offending member will receive a notification and have a specific amount of time to review his/her post and then make an appropriate edit. If within that time frame, nothing is done, the flag then will return into a report and staff will review it to see if an action will take place.

There are more details to the plan but the basic gist is someone getting "nudged" as if to say, "hey that wasn't cool, take another look and make it right." It's like members training other members to show them what they don't want on the site.

Ruth

Religious Affiliation
Unitarian
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
The only suggestion I have is that if someone doesn't want their views challenged, don't post them.

Some people make assumptions about others without knowing what they are talking about and also make assumptions that you don't believe when you do but in a different way.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I'm going to go ahead and close the thread for discussion right now. Romanos will open it up if he comes online tonight. Thanks, everyone!

EDITED: This is back open since I'll be monitoring it today!

Last edited:
Top Bottom