Muslims Are Not Atheists

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammster

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Too many people talking past each other in this thread.

I've never heard Christians call Muslims Atheists before until this thread.

Muslims believe in a false god, which is not a god, but they do BELIEVE and trust in those fallen beliefs. That goes against the very definition of what an Atheist is.

So semantics is what is the actual issue here.

In another setting, possibly. But in the context of the statement I made that got the OP ruffled enough to split a thread, the definition is on point.

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
In Relationship
In another setting, possibly. But in the context of the statement I made that got the OP ruffled enough to split a thread, the definition is on point.

No, in all settings the definition of theist holds. You are simply wrong and unwilling to admit it, even though you knew you were wrong before you made the statement. You were trying to be "cute" and now that you are called out for it, you won't admit the truth.

Hammster

Religious Affiliation
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No, in all settings the definition of theist holds. You are simply wrong and unwilling to admit it, even though you knew you were wrong before you made the statement. You were trying to be "cute" and now that you are called out for it, you won't admit the truth.

Okay.

seekingsolace

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, this is simply wrong. If belief in a false god was the same as atheism, then I would label everyone who ever lived an atheist. But it's not and so I don't.

Belief in a god is what makes a person a theist, no matter what the claims by others are regarding the reality of that god. If you believe in a god or gods, you are a theist. It's as simple as that.

I started this thread in a joking manner because of the sheer ridiculousness of the claim that Muslims are atheists, and am shocked and truly disappointed to find that there is more than one here who would claim there is any validity at all for calling Muslims atheists.

Please don't quote me out of context.

I addressed what you said, and explained the concept. You don't have to be in agreement to understand it.

Not once have I said I am in agreement with it. So please don't try to infer what I have not said.

seekingsolace

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Now you are being insulting.

MarkFL

La Villa Strangiato
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Atheist
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
In Relationship
Please don't quote me out of context.

I addressed what you said, and explained the concept. You don't have to be in agreement to understand it.

Not once have I said I am in agreement with it. So please don't try to infer what I have not said.

Here is the entirety of what you said:

To what end. Any person that wants to understand a definition, will inevitably use a dictionary. When we speak of a principle or thought, sometimes it is hard to convey without using words out of their established norms. Usage of words in a religious environment will naturally diverge from absolutes. I am sure everyone is in agreement on the definition of the word. The concept is the bone of contention.

By definition Muslims are monotheist in their belief of a God. The divergence and rationale in usage of the word is the concept: belief in a false God is equivalent to belief in no God, thus atheist. So it's a believers conclusion, rather than a debate over the definition.

I can see both sides of it, and I don't see either side adjusting their view on the matter.

How did my previous quoting of your post, including only your assertion about the rationale for falsely calling Muslims atheists take you out of context? I called the rationale wrong...because, well, it is wrong.

Now you are being insulting.

How so? I merely pointed out the truth that Hammster was trying to be "cute" and is unwilling to admit he is wrong. I am not insulting him, I am merely pointing out that he is wrong when he refers to theists as atheists. It's like calling 1/2 an integer...you can call it that all you want, but you are wrong in doing so.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Closing thread before this escalates any further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom