World Are fear and ignorance driving our politics?

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
Are fear and ignorance driving our politics?

Political debate and political speeches appear to be driven by finding somebody or something to be afraid of and then magnifying it until it dominates people's thinking. Mexican "illegal immigrants", "refugees", "terrorism", "economic ruin", "higher taxes", "guns", and any number of other trumped up issues spoken of in terms of threat and remedy are the bread & butter of political discourse yet in the holy scriptures what do we see the Lord speaking about? Is the Kingdom of God where we truly have our citizenship and if so why do we worry when politicians say we ought to or run scared when experts tell us of fearful futures that they imagine will face us? Do you think they really know what is to come?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
It should not be about being scared it should be about knowing what is coming and not being in it. Being able to pass through, we are to be different thatn the world and not be affected by what the world goes through, just like Israel did when they were turned towards God. Their trounbles were only when they turned away much as our country has done. We debate and argue if this nation was even founded on Christian principles and God which it was but we have moved so far away from that that judgement is falling and will continue to until we turn back to God or be destroyed.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Political debate and political speeches appear to be driven by finding somebody or something to be afraid of and then magnifying it until it dominates people's thinking. Mexican "illegal immigrants", "refugees", "terrorism", "economic ruin", "higher taxes", "guns", and any number of other trumped up issues spoken of in terms of threat and remedy are the bread & butter of political discourse yet in the holy scriptures what do we see the Lord speaking about? Is the Kingdom of God where we truly have our citizenship and if so why do we worry when politicians say we ought to or run scared when experts tell us of fearful futures that they imagine will face us? Do you think they really know what is to come?

Even without the spiritual angle the sense of fear and division seems very strong in the last few years.

It's easy to pick a group that is Not Like Us and demonise them. So the indigenous are trained to hate the immigrant becaues he comes and steals the jobs/women/housing/whatever. The rich are trained to hate the poor because they are workshy/lazy/good-for-nothing and just want to suckle at the teat of higher taxes. The poor are trained to hate the rich because they are greedy/hog the best jobs/refuse to share/don't pay their fair share of taxes/whatever. The young hate the old because they hogged all the resources/took all the money/sit on the money/whatever. The old hate the young because they are greedy/self-entitled/rebellious etc.

People who are visibly different are an even easier target. Just look at the animosity towards "Muslims" where in excess of a billion people worldwide are regarded as inherently evil because of the actions of a tiny minority of them and some text in the Qu'ran about killing people. If we applied the same reasoning to more familiar people we would have to fear Christians as a violent and bloodthirsty group based on child abuse by priests, bombing of abortion clinics and verses in the Old Testament that talk of executing everyone from homosexuals to false prophets to children who disrespect their parents.

When Jesus said "love your neighbor" he didn't give us any handy opt-out clauses just in case our neighbor was Not Like Us in some way.

From a spiritual perspective we so easily lose track of a wise man who once said "fear not, I have conquered the world". From a secular perspective We The People are being manipulated by the most basic divide and conquer approach imaginable.

Highlander

Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Many Mexican illegal immigrants are career criminals in the fields of rape, robbery and/or drug trafficking. So why would you act as though this is a magnified issue? The thousands of victims of their crimes will never be the same -- including that poor man who's 24 year old daughter died in his arms in California after she was shot in the head by an illegal Mexican immigrant who had been deported FIVE TIMES for violent crimes, yet was continually allowed to re-enter the USA. Try telling her father that his fears are "magnified."

Try telling any future American victims of terrorist attacks by the Muslims who are masquerading as refugees just to have a safe way of entering our country. A magnified threat? I don't think so.

I do believe, MoreCoffee, that your imagination is drifting in the wrong direction.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Many Mexican illegal immigrants are career criminals in the fields of rape, robbery and/or drug trafficking. So why would you act as though this is a magnified issue? The thousands of victims of their crimes will never be the same -- including that poor man who's 24 year old daughter died in his arms in California after she was shot in the head by an illegal Mexican immigrant who had been deported FIVE TIMES for violent crimes, yet was continually allowed to re-enter the USA. Try telling her father that his fears are "magnified."

Try telling any future American victims of terrorist attacks by the Muslims who are masquerading as refugees just to have a safe way of entering our country. A magnified threat? I don't think so.

I do believe, MoreCoffee, that your imagination is drifting in the wrong direction.

How many of the world's 1,000,000,000 or more Muslims do you think are terrorists?

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
How many of the world's 1,000,000,000 or more Muslims do you think are terrorists?
How many does it take to kill a bunch of americans? How many did it take to bring down the twin towers

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
How many does it take to kill a bunch of americans? How many did it take to bring down the twin towers

USA people do an excellent job of mass shooting other USA people. The imported terrorists are far less effective.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
USA people do an excellent job of mass shooting other USA people. The imported terrorists are far less effective.
So we should just ignore them because they may or may not do more damage. Rationalize it any way you wish but we should not be adding to our problems

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
So we should just ignore them because they may or may not do more damage. Rationalize it any way you wish but we should not be adding to our problems

That would be an incorrect conclusion.

psalms 91

Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Charismatic
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
That would be an incorrect conclusion.
The correct one is to vet them and then I would agree let them in, I do not agree however with the way they are doing it now, to many slip through the cracks and until they can get it right I say no

Alithis

Religious Affiliation
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

lol give them time to get acquainted with the life style .. and dont forget that a high percentage of refugees are ..just refugees .but they will convert many sadly .because sinful men make the illusion to themselves that you can reject god and live in a vacuum but it is not so -evil is always drawn in when God is pushed away ,

yes your driven by fear ,, its so obvious .how many die in the usa per day by "bullet" ? vs how many a year by terrorist ? the answer shows the terrorist threat to be so small that some one is fear mongering to seed war and so "cull" the populations ... - hmm conspiracy theory ?? not so much if you put the devil in the seat of the head conspirator ...-he comes to steal kill destroy .

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes
The correct one is to vet them and then I would agree let them in, I do not agree however with the way they are doing it now, to many slip through the cracks and until they can get it right I say no

So would you bar everyone coming in, or just young men with brown skin and beards? Why the particular animosity towards Muslims? Didn't a wise man once say we should love our enemies?

Why not bar everyone from Latin America, in case they are smuggling drugs? You can see the damage drugs do to society, over the last 15 years or so drugs have caused more harm to society than terrorists have. So maybe we should stop worrying about the Muslims and start worrying about the Colombians instead.

Of course terrorism triggers mass hysteria, and people clamoring for answers, for solutions, for Someone to Do Something.

And just in case anyone accuses me of ignoring things because they don't affect me, my brother was in Manhatten on 9-11 and I was on the London Underground on the days immediately before and after the 7-7 bombings. The only reason I wasn't in a tunnel when the bombs went off was because I overslept that morning. I still got on the Underground the following day to get to work.

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

How does hysteria help solve any problems? If you really think that barring over a billion people for the actions of a few hundred is sensible you should turn yourself into jail now. After all, you're a man and it's well known that violent rape is overwhelmingly committed by men. So have yourself locked up, you know, so that women can walk the streets safe in the knowledge there's one less potential rapist out there.

Highlander

Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Are YOU claiming that you have that number?

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes

tango

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes

I think there are a LOT of things that "drive politics." Not just in the USA - but everywhere, and not just now - but always.

Some of these are noble and good - some are rooted in lesser things. Politicians are often keen on the power of such things to drive votes. And sometimes, negatives can move such as much as (or even more than) positives. It's HUMAN nature (nothin' uniquely American about it, IMO).

And I doubt ANY politician or political party is immune from all things "lesser."

Sorry.

- Josiah

Last edited:

MoreCoffee

Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Political Affiliation
Moderate
Marital Status
Single
Yes
[MENTION=13]Josiah[/MENTION], I am not a USA resident. The Original post in this thread is not USA centric.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
[MENTION=13]Josiah[/MENTION], I am not a USA resident. The Original post in this thread is not USA centric.

Which is EXACTLY why I stressed my comments are not exclusive to the USA.

Highlander

Religious Affiliation
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm not the one proposing restrictions on a billion people because of a few.

As with so many, you are forgetting that he said it should be a TEMPORARY restriction until we have a way of knowing who the terrorists are among them. You are also forgetting that no foreign person has an automatic right to enter our country regardless of who they are.

Besides, I didn't realize you wanted to bring a BILLION more aliens into the USA?

Top Bottom