How do you like to study the bible?

The Fall Guy

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
In Relationship
There are different ways to study the bible such as topical, character, chronological, word and book. Do you yourself find one method to help you better in gaining understanding?

GuusVA

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well I find it very helpful for myself to study the bible based on what situation I am in. So I don't go through the bible in any form that has you reading through the bible in a year for example. Also besides just reading in my bible I really enjoy any good solid bible based book that I can read alongside. This helps me to not just see my view but other views as well, of course God's view is correct..

So I guess I read the bible topical?

Anyways I do try not to always read the same piece in the same situation so for example I feel alone I don't always try to read that one helpful psalm. I mean I try to find more pieces to read out of my bible. That's usually very helpful.

tango

... and you shall live ...
Valued Contributor
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Acceptance of the Trinity & Nicene Creed
Yes
There are different ways to study the bible such as topical, character, chronological, word and book. Do you yourself find one method to help you better in gaining understanding?

I'll often work through a book at a time but then sometimes a topic will come up (either in discussion with someone, or a point in a sermon I'm not sure about) and I'll research the topic.

I think each method has merits to be honest. The one thing I have no interest in for myself is the daily reading notes that pick a few verses here and a few verses there, because I find they give me a very limited exposure so I might know some words but don't see the bigger picture.

Lamb

God's Lil Lamb
Community Team
Administrator
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
Bumping up an old thread.

I am finding that I do more topical studies although I don't limit myself to them. Being here on the site means I search out more to what scripture says for the thread topics but it keeps me in the word daily.

Tigger

Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I tend to do both topical and word searches but then both styles do tend to complement each other.

Josiah

simul justus et peccator
Valued Contributor
Supporting Member
Religious Affiliation
Lutheran
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
Yes
I really like doing this in a group.... I participate in the Sunday study lead by our pastor. I love all his theological, historical, Greek/Hebrew insights - and especially how he is so focused on the pastoral aspect of things. I gain SO much. And I lead a study. Preparing for a study REALLY makes me dig in a way I would not otherwise.... and the comments of others make me aware of what I've missed. Right now we're studying Second Corinthians..... it's giving me a whole new appreciation for how ministers can be persecuted, how active Satan can be who has such a vested interest in stirring up trouble....

Wilhemena

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I like to let the Spirit lead the session and when I open up my bible that is where it begins and he shows me what he wants me to see and learn.

TurtleHare

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Married
I like to go to studies where I don't have to do much work but I do enjoy listening to what the group has to say and then the pastor jumps in to add or guide so that's neat.

Stravinsk

Composer and Artist on Flat Earth
Religious Affiliation
Deist
Political Affiliation
Conservative
Marital Status
Widow/Widower

It depends on what I am seeking. The type of study is often directed by the type of question asked, or the type of knowledge sought.

hotrhymez

Rhymeslayer
Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well years ago when I used to study it I would do it by topic..and I'd use a concordance

Cassia

Religious Affiliation
Christian
Marital Status
Widow/Widower
Well years ago when I used to study it I would do it by topic..and I'd use a concordance
That's how I studied the bible for many years when I first came to Christianity. I'm reading the new testament lately and seeing where it takes me.

Top Bottom